The risk of instructions for beginners of poker

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see several people who give advice on this site, and I think it's not all people are able to give advice, especially that there are many beginners who will apply the advice without knowing the palmares from the one who gives them instructions so I think we have to analyze what we get as advice and ask questions to more players in order to have better visibility good luck to everyone

M

mavradal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's actually a good thing, it forces beginners to do research about people who gives them advice.

If they can't do some basic research, then they're probably too lazy to become good poker players too.

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Advice in poker is never absolute, but I'd say that it's definitely better for a beginner player to be given incomplete advice that applies 80% of the time than to go on their own and get it wrong 80% of the time. You can't master things until you're clear with the fundament, so while "raise or fold" is not correct in the slightest, it is better than just letting a beginner do what beginners usually do - which is call whenever they have anything slightly decent and raise whenever they have a monster hand. One can easily go from an absolute beginner to a "winning" player in most games in just a month or two just from some incomplete advice, because it's better than what most people do. The real challenge in poker is going from being just about a winning player to a player who consistently cashes in tournaments and regularly visits the final table.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that it is absolutely not difficult to determine what kind of advice is really useful. There are basic principles of the game, which will always remain unchanged.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Typically all threads have an advice from a mix of experiences.
I don't mind at all advice from people that know even less than I do.
At least it's usually more easy to read than the advice from the pro's, although very usefull and correctly worded; very often I don't understand it (which to be clear, is my problem; nothing wrong with the advice. Hopefully, 1 day......).

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that we need listen more players and search about our doubts, we have to read other opinions reviews and think if that is a good advice or not.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that we need listen more players and search about our doubts, we have to read other opinions reviews and think if that is a good advice or not.
Nothing wrong, but in a forum like this, expressing your thoughts should never harm, but can lead to much faster learning.
p.s. fastest lessons for me was wrong thinking and getting corrected by a pro in this forum. fast and very usefull for me and hopefully also for others (sadly also a bit embarassing:eek:).

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Advice in poker is never absolute, but I'd say that it's definitely better for a beginner player to be given incomplete advice that applies 80% of the time than to go on their own and get it wrong 80% of the time. You can't master things until you're clear with the fundament, so while "raise or fold" is not correct in the slightest, it is better than just letting a beginner do what beginners usually do - which is call whenever they have anything slightly decent and raise whenever they have a monster hand. One can easily go from an absolute beginner to a "winning" player in most games in just a month or two just from some incomplete advice, because it's better than what most people do. The real challenge in poker is going from being just about a winning player to a player who consistently cashes in tournaments and regularly visits the final table.

yes of course it is beneficial to listen to the opinion of several people but what I mean is that we must gather the advice and draw a useful conclusion and not take what any player say serious because intelligence differs from one person to another

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When a player ask something in the post and I believe I understand the way and how I do, always start or finish with 'in my opinion'.

Good luck.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
That's why I don't give advice in poker, there are much better and more successful players here that give better advice than I would, I believe.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with anyone giving advice. As mavradal said, it's up to the person to decide whether it's good or bad advice and do continuing research.

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats true, You can check his profile and see how muck does he plays in graph "When did you first start to play poker?", but often the period he plays doesnt matter.