Rich Man Game

D

DaHawk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a tournament player. I do quite well but could never make it in any big live tournament I'd ever play. A local pro would always play the knockout tournaments and some of the 250 dollar buy in tournaments when warming up for the bigger buy in tournaments. He quit his day job (he was a doctor). Anyways, I would always meet him at the final table and often would outplay him. However, when buying into the bigger buy ins I'd never make it or bubble out and he'd always be at the final table and even cashed a few times for 100,000, or 145,000 and a few others that I can't quite remember. He did well. So I asked him, "how is it that I can beat you and outplay you in these smaller buy in tournaments but can never do as well as you in the bigger buy in tournaments?" He said, "because poker is rich man game. You lose 1500 buy in you might load a second time or maybe not. I might spend 7500 to get a good chip stack to give me the best odds of making it to the final table. Like I said, poker rich man game."

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is also true in many other situations--same principles of luck apply. For example look at new businesses--by far they are likely to fail in first few years. This is because they are likely to encounter a run of bad luck that puts them under whereas an established business could weather the storm.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

totally agree money calls money those with good money in their hands have a better chance of winning. You can also reach those levels with patience and gambling behavior. Greetings!

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are absolutely right, money calls. Almost always the same thing happens to me in very large tournaments I qualify for the final tables and in small tournaments it never happens to me, I think luck influences and the calmer way of playing in large tournaments, you do not find players who go all in shape Reckless as you find them while in small tournaments or freerolls, that gives you a better chance of playing certain hands than in other tournaments you could not. Regards.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I do not agree with you. Everything is relative.
Apparently a lot depends on the lifestyle of the player, but I am convinced that poker can bring pleasure to every player, regardless of his financial capabilities.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to make money you need money
it is very difficult to make money without money

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Play wsop main event, even if you don't make it top9 you'll make great money

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ever think you may play different in the big tourneys compared to the smaller ones?

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a tournament player. I do quite well but could never make it in any big live tournament I'd ever play. A local pro would always play the knockout tournaments and some of the 250 dollar buy in tournaments when warming up for the bigger buy in tournaments. He quit his day job (he was a doctor). Anyways, I would always meet him at the final table and often would outplay him. However, when buying into the bigger buy ins I'd never make it or bubble out and he'd always be at the final table and even cashed a few times for 100,000, or 145,000 and a few others that I can't quite remember. He did well. So I asked him, "how is it that I can beat you and outplay you in these smaller buy in tournaments but can never do as well as you in the bigger buy in tournaments?" He said, "because poker is rich man game. You lose 1500 buy in you might load a second time or maybe not. I might spend 7500 to get a good chip stack to give me the best odds of making it to the final table. Like I said, poker rich man game."
Hello, I think it depends not on the limit, but on those people who play big limits! I myself noticed that when I play the limits higher, I go further, undead from the limits low! It seems to me that the higher the limits, the level of play and understanding of the game is higher, and at low limits, luck plays more than skill! But this is personally my opinion and do not take it seriously, I myself am a newcomer to poker and may not understand much! But I wish you to conquer the high limits and win the tournament that you so want to win, just continue to work on the game and do not give up and you will succeed! Good luck!

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
100 percent that the game at different limits goes differently! Both opponents and money affect here

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doyle Brunson, Daniel Negreanu, Phil Hellmuth, etc, etc, etc, were not rich when they started out. Negreanu even filed bankruptcy, and came back to Toronto, to start over.

The only thing a rich man can do, is to buy into rich tournaments, and afford to lose the buy-in.

If you look at the poker stats, (and I don't have them in front of me, right now), if you're in top 15 % of players on the internet, you're losing money.

If you're somewhere in the top 5-15% you're covering your buy-in, and possibly making a profit.

If you're in the top 5, you're doing well.

I saw this info on Poker Scout, some time ago, but I don't know if it's still there, and I don't even look, anymore.

Bottom line is that, you don't need to be a rich man to win. The guys I mentioned above ended up rich, but worked there way there.

Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually you can enjoy poker however your actual financial situation is... Each one has a life style to enjoy, chose yours and make it worth it

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the size of the buy-in often affects our game, we need to fight this and not get hung up on the amount that you can lose then you will be able to show your best poker.:)

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sure the re-buys you can (or can´t afford) play a big role. when you're shivering about your only 1 buy in stack, the sharks will smell blood

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because of your beliefs,,,you lost,even before sitting down. :deal:

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It true. The reason we poorer players don't do so well is we play differently in high steaks so scared of losing our but in! Low steaks we play more hands or so I think.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe more that the huge difference is playing with financial limitations that psychologically may limit your play: taking the necessary chances to play the hands that win big often enough. That's what wins.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Key here is to have proper bankroll management. If you pay big percent of your bankroll for buyin you will play with scared money and your game will not be at its best. You should play lower limits until you have the bankroll and skills to play higher.

Top 10 Games