My revalation: WoW, what was I thinking.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"for you guys"?

The people are posting here to help YOU to stop from going broke. Throw your ego out the window for 5 minutes and listen to what they're saying. You're NOT the player you think you are. You CAN be a good player, but the first step to having a stable bankroll with which to do so is to start practicing proper bankroll management. 20 buyins is the widely accepted standard, but the more buyins you have in your BR the better. Everybody goes through this phase of thinking they're the shit, and almost everybody learns they're not.

I'm not going to spend another minute giving advice because I've done this too many times to try to help people who just ignore the words of warning. Take it from someone who's been through the whole 'thinking they're better than they really are' stage and LISTEN to the advice people give you.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're probably just on a heater, well no you definitely are just on a heater. You obviously aren't a terrible player but even a great player playing one table at a time at 50NL would struggle to make that much. But I can see it now, you lose a couple big hands get pissed off then move up in limits to try and win back your losses then you are broke. It happens all the time to people that think they are just amazing and can't lose.

X

xCashin_inx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"for you guys"?

The people are posting here to help YOU to stop from going broke. Throw your ego out the window for 5 minutes and listen to what they're saying. You're NOT the player you think you are. You CAN be a good player, but the first step to having a stable bankroll with which to do so is to start practicing proper bankroll management. 20 buyins is the widely accepted standard, but the more buyins you have in your BR the better. Everybody goes through this phase of thinking they're the shit, and almost everybody learns they're not.

I'm not going to spend another minute giving advice because I've done this too many times to try to help people who just ignore the words of warning. Take it from someone who's been through the whole 'thinking they're better than they really are' stage and LISTEN to the advice people give you.

I realize im cocky and I got really lucky to build a 1K+ roll like I did but now that I do have some money I want to cash out and leave myself with $300 bucks. What level of cash game should I play at?

25NL would leave me with 16 buy-ins, would that be terrible to play?

X

xCashin_inx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're probably just on a heater, well no you definitely are just on a heater. You obviously aren't a terrible player but even a great player playing one table at a time at 50NL would struggle to make that much. But I can see it now, you lose a couple big hands get pissed off then move up in limits to try and win back your losses then you are broke. It happens all the time to people that think they are just amazing and can't lose.

Definitly not, like I said im only 18 and the money means way to much to me. Im gonna cash out for about $600 tommorow and move down in limits.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
25NL would leave me with 16 buy-ins, would that be terrible to play?
20 buyins is the widely accepted standard, but the more buyins you have in your BR the better.

"terrible to play" would be relative, I guess. The fewer buyins you have in your BR, the bigger swings you'll experience relative to your bankroll.

I'm already breaking my promise about not spending another minute in this thread :)

Do a search, there are a million threads on bankroll management.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm, 25NL would not be 16 buy-ins for your $300. That would be $400. You should stick to 10NL (30 buy-ins). Unless you want to continue playing your bankroll with a higher risk of ruin.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitly not, like I said im only 18 and the money means way to much to me. Im gonna cash out for about $600 tommorow and move down in limits.

If the money means too much that's more reason to be more conservative with BRM.

X

xCashin_inx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just cashed out for $500 and im back down to playing low limit sng's and low limit cash games!

My overall online poker experience = $205 in deposits - $602 in withdrawls - $300 in my current account

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just cashed out for $500 and im back down to playing low limit sng's and low limit cash games!

My overall online poker experience = $205 in deposits - $602 in withdrawls - $300 in my current account

nice :).

From what I saw you were a pretty decent player. Very aggressive, but you were at 6max as well. Keep working to get better and hopefully your success will continue. Sure you'll hit downswings, but upswings happen too, variance goes both ways :).

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to have 1k for 25nl, but i play 16-24 tables.

douche+luck=OP and why poker is profitable.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Most sensible post in this thread. Money managment is just as important as being a good player. Take your time, if your as good as you say you are, youll be up playing nl$50 properly rolled in no time at all.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to say Cashin I admire you for sticking around even though you have been raked over the coals in this thread. I imagine you are very young.

It would be cool if in a few years you became a respected player in here and we could all look back and laugh with you at your first few threads. :)

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
/me waits eagerly for bankroll-eating downswing for lesson-teaching purposes

Damn. Didn't work. *TEST*

Ok, after reading through:

Cash: Good to see you've learned your lesson a bit (and Daks is right, they were pretty blunt with you, haha). You seem to be on the right track now. Good luck!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These guys did a test to see if variance really was a myth. Here is what they have to say:

Attachments

• myth.jpg
    myth.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
S

sanpatso

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is great to hear of your early success my friend. I warn you to not get too full of yourself or else you WILL crash. There was a time when I played online poker for my job. It was great for a year and a half. My wife makes a good living so all I had to do was pull $2,000 a month out and we were living well. Man I thought I was the chit and then one day I it all went to the crapper. Couldn't win a tourney or do well in cash games. Pyed the same way as always but the luck went and so did the bankroll. Now I play just for fun and do OK but I will never forget my run. Good luck to you.