Recommended NL Tourny Poker Books

S

spluff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Been playing poker around 8 months and have read numerous articles on the internet and had quite a bit of practice...

looking for some good recommendations of good poker books i could buy

Nick

Nick

CC
Administrator
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to the site spluff,

A book that might interest you is Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky, it's most certainly for players with a bit of history and I've heard it's quite a good book.

Here's the product description from amazon:
Product Description:
Tournament poker is different from standard ring game poker. From a distance, it may look like a typical poker game, but there are many factors that can lead to proper strategy that is very different than what most players, (including good poker players), are familiar with.

Yet some people excel at tournament poker. This is not luck. These are players who have a good understanding of what the proper strategy adjustments are, and when they come into play. It is not a coincidence that the same players make it to the final table far more than their fair share.

This text is the first book ever written that explains tournament strategies which only a small number of players have mastered. It assumes you already know how to play poker well, but aren’t knowledgeable of tournament concepts and when and where to use them. Some of the ideas discussed include the effect of going broke, The Gap Concept, how chips change value, adjusting strategy because the stakes rise, all-in strategy, the last table, making deals, The "System," and much more.

Product URL here: Amazon.com: Tournament Poker for Advanced Players (Advance Player) (9781880685280): David Sklansky: Books

There's another book with examples of hands in tournaments and how you should think through each of them.

I've never heard anyone mention it, so I'm not too sure if it's worth the money or not, but the link is Amazon.com: Championship Hold'em Tournament Hands: A Hand By Hand Strategy Guide to Winning Hold'em Tournaments (9781580421492): Tom McEvoy, T.J. Cloutier: Books

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
skalanskys book isn't really just limited to no limit holdem though

if i were you I would get hold of supersystem, it was written years ago and is about to be rereleased in the coming weeks as a second edition, from what I have heard though the no limit section is pretty much intact from the first, so its still good

S

sharkfood

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Grumbledook said:
skalanskys book isn't really just limited to no limit holdem though

if i were you I would get hold of supersystem, it was written years ago and is about to be rereleased in the coming weeks as a second edition, from what I have heard though the no limit section is pretty much intact from the first, so its still good
IMHO Super Systems is outdated and they are much better poker books out there. I found that the read about his life was more interesting then the actual lesson's he was teaching.

Advanced Poker is a great book for someone with a little experience, try brushing up on Poker Maths and Theory of poker also.

Good luck

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have heard good things about Dan Harringtons new no limit book, shall probably check it out after I get back from Amsterdam

L

Lavitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I've been reading lots on the internet but I have yet to read an advanced book on hold em. I should go get one.

S

spluff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ive got slanskys tourney poker and it is a bit mind boggling in bits :p

K

kensteven

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
spluff said:
Been playing poker around 8 months and have read numerous articles on the internet and had quite a bit of practice...

looking for some good recommendations of good poker books i could buy
appertly dan negranou has a good nl poker book coming out soon

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well Skylanski's Theory of Poker has me raping cash games, but it just doesn't seem to apply that much to tournaments. So I guess I better get his tournament book! Probably one of the things he says is the main problem. Treat every hand as the only hand, I paraphrased. I Never used to look at tournament hands like that and did well. I think when I play tournaments I need to get back to looking at the bigger picture.

mysticanime

mysticanime

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grumbledook said:
I have heard good things about Dan Harringtons new no limit book, shall probably check it out after I get back from Amsterdam
I have it. I really like it.

T

Tonydanzaluva

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you consider yourself a loose player, Tom McEvoy's championship books will help you become more conservative and think more about the decisions that you make. I just purchased Harrington's new book as well, but have not been able to dive into it yet, I will reply again later to let you know.

cranck

cranck

Freeroll #12 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So Theory of Poker and Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky are the preferred choices? Interesting... (heading to the bookstore).

J

jde_07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a couple books from sklansky including the tournment play for advanced players but it doesnt just pertain to hold em but most of it does or you can relate it. I like but just like everyone of his books I have to reread them everyonce in awhile. because it contains alot of info.

M

marineforce26

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
get smart

The best book I have read and has helped me out a lot is Super System by you know who. Boy does he like those suited connectors, makes me want to play them more, but they will kill you if your not careful:goodnight

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sklansky's books are very cerebral. Not for the casual player. Very detailed about the numbers. They're good to have around to reference occasionally for specific info.

The 3 "must have's" in any poker library are "Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Hold 'Em" by T.J. Cloutier & Tom McEvoy, "Championship Tournament Poker" by Tom McEvoy, and "Super System" by Doyle Brunson & Co. All are very accessible to players of any skill level, and are readily available at major book retailers nationwide. (Be advised: they're also wildly overpriced relative to other paperback books. The McEvoys will set you back $30 ea. and Super System is usually around $45.)

By the way, "Super System II" was released last November and is the new Poker Bible. It has been expanded from the original 1979 version to include sections on online poker, Tournament Poker, and some games that weren't as popular in '79 as they are today. However, it continues to contain the greatest meat & potatoes primer on the game of poker ever published. It has no peer.

Amazon.com is currently running a two-fer deal where you can hook yourself up with Phil Helmuth's "Play Poker Like The Pros" and Doyle Brunson's "Super System" (the original) for thirty bucks. Not a bad deal.

c4rdsh4rk2004

c4rdsh4rk2004

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
wondering if any of you read or viewed comments about the new hellmuth book Phil Hellmuth's Texas Hold'em i received an e-mail from amazon telling me it was new, it's about 6$

or anyone seen his series of 4 dvds that were advertised on television

get back to me :p

i read some mixed reviews on the super system II, there's a few new sections like the omaha PL by Jennifer but is it really worth it if you have the first one (even if i ask the question i'll buy the second one)

Last edited:
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Grumbledook said:
Harrington on Hold'em vol.1 is fantastic. It's tourny specific and covers just about every situation imaginable. Can't wait for volume 2.

kensteven said:
appertly dan negranou has a good nl poker book coming out soon
Hadn't heard that. He's also got a spot in Super System II.

c4rdsh4rk2004 said:
wondering if any of you read or viewed comments about the new hellmuth book Phil Hellmuth's Texas Hold'em i received an e-mail from amazon telling me it was new, it's about 6$

or anyone seen his series of 4 dvds that were advertised on television

get back to me :p

i read some mixed reviews on the super system II, there's a few new sections like the omaha PL by Jennifer but is it really worth it if you have the first one (even if i ask the question i'll buy the second one)
For 6 bucks you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
R

Rails

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of all of those mentioned, which is best suited for online play? I had always heard that Super System is the bible, but having written so long ago, is it 100% relevant to the online player? We all know there are glaring differences between online and live

B

bubba_hyde

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I picked up Hellmuth's Hold-em book last night in the checkout at the grocery store. Giving it a read now.

cranck

cranck

Freeroll #12 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bought Phil Helmuth, Jr.'s Play Poker Like the Pros and David Sklansky's Hold'em Poker. I'm enjoying both and having read Sklansky's i'm gonna get his tournament book as well.