Rant: Poker Sayings Are Great...

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
... but they shouldn't dictate every decision you make.

I am so tired of hearing people spout the same euphemisms over and over again in the hand analysis forum and elsewhere. Crap like this:

-Poker favors aggression, so you should bet.
-Lead out with a monster.
-Don't chase draws!
-You can only win the pot by betting, so bet.
-Punish the limpers
ect.

This stuff gets on my nerves! Poker is a game of expected value, pot odds, implied odds, and reads on other players. So if you ever make an argument for making a decision one way or another, it should include a reference to at least some of these things.

This site has the caliber of members to move beyond trite, meaningless sayings when making arguments, so lets do so. I challenge you people to answer people's questions correctly, and to consider not just what you heard was "usually the correct move".

Joe Slick

Joe Slick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to look at the bright side.

All of those things are correct ... sometimes. As you said, it's all circumstantial.

The trick is to find all those players who say AND MEAN those things and get them in a game. It could be a very profitable experience.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AIPF because it's a turbo, IMO :p

Agree totally

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... but they shouldn't dictate every decision you make.

I am so tired of hearing people spout the same euphemisms over and over again in the hand analysis forum and elsewhere. Crap like this:

-Poker favors aggression, so you should bet.
-Lead out with a monster.
-Don't chase draws!
-You can only win the pot by betting, so bet.
-Punish the limpers
ect.

This stuff gets on my nerves! Poker is a game of expected value, pot odds, implied odds, and reads on other players. So if you ever make an argument for making a decision one way or another, it should include a reference to at least some of these things.

This site has the caliber of members to move beyond trite, meaningless sayings when making arguments, so lets do so. I challenge you people to answer people's questions correctly, and to consider not just what you heard was "usually the correct move".

not sure if you're saying it's the higher caliber members who are spouting these sayings and they need to move beyond such trite comments or if your saying the lower level players need to step up their advice . :D

here's my opinion :)
there are some very good players in there giving very good and detailed advice . with out a doubt there are many of the vague references you speak of and many with bad advice posts also from people who don't know better and are saying what " they " think .

we have people of all skill levels trying to learn and contribute . your challenge to answer peoples questions correctly is definitely just a rant and not constructive criticism . if you get that done can you make a post about the " wheres the password " and then " poker is rigged " posts :)

you do sound like you have a good understanding of the game and although we can't all be you , maybe we can all learn from you . I look forward to reading some of your posts . just my re-rant :D