Random Chat

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I just finished up the book by Vorhaus (sp?) titled "killer online poker".

Overall I thought it was decent but definitely off on a lot of advice (claiming that 2-tabling was horrible, that you should target multi-tablers).

But one hilarious thing it mentioned was random chat in the window. Apparently the rules say you have to chat in English, but it doesn't say anything about being meaningful. I've tried it a few times in the past week, don't know if it's working, but it's hilarious to see the responses. I'll do something like this:

"you see the fish that just jumped out of the toilet into the frying pan that's not the fire?"

"ouch, the chair hit the ceiling and the fire looks like a mountain and a molehill full of peanut butter".

I think his advice is very naive that this kind of thing would have an effect on anyone's play, but it is very funny to do. It was worth the trip to the library just for that idea :)

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bought and read it myself and pretty much got the same impression you seem to have zach.

To me it seems like he was writing a book for internet players back in 2002 or something, like back when it was first starting up. I haven't touched the book since I first got it.

What was his reasoning for the weird chat again?

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
next time i play, i'm gonna ask "who is throwing those rabbits at my window?"

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I drew so hard my eyeball was dripping on the ceiling.

Huh Hell! Get out and push!

Do you take your lunch or walk to work?

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bought and read it myself and pretty much got the same impression you seem to have zach.

To me it seems like he was writing a book for internet players back in 2002 or something, like back when it was first starting up. I haven't touched the book since I first got it.

What was his reasoning for the weird chat again?

Basically he said that if I remember correctly that if you try to rattle someone you may piss them off and the good players will be targeting you (good IMO, anything that causes good people to play differently is good) and if you talk about how you're bad and new you get the same thing, a target on your forehead. But that if you just post random things it may confuse them and get them to stop paying attention to the game.

But yeah, on the book it basically assumes you suck at poker, a lot of it is dedicated to avoiding sharks. It also says to avoid shorthanded and HU because you'll play too many hands. I prefer full ring but some people are good at shorthanded, and if people play too loose there you just need to tighten up to beat it. It doesn't mention anything on BR management, nothing on software to help out with play, just about keeping a literal book on ALL opponents. No idea where he plays but he also seemed to think you'd run into everyone again and again. I 6-table and maybe a time or 2 per week I'll see someone I've played with before. There are 3 or 4 others whom I have a ton of hands with and seem to be doing the same thing I am (multi-tabling micros), but other than that I barely run into anyone a second time. Yet he literally wants you to record how much they buy in for, tendencies you notice, how long they play for every player you play against. Pokertracker does that for me and I have 8,552 players. That's one LONG book.

He doesn't talk much strategy but from what he mentions he just emphasizes extremely tight aggressive play, which I'm not even sure would work very well against the average online opponent today. From what I've heard, players used to be really loose before, but now there are a lot more tight players.

Altogether a practically worthless book IMO, besides what I mentioned above :). Of course even that is a horrible rationalization. I just think it's fun to do lol.

Biffle16

Biffle16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So what you all are saying is......Biscuits are good and Books are bad???