Raising From The Button

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are sitting on the button, all fold round to you and there's only you and the blinds left in. The blinds are there because they have to, so do you take adventage of this?. It doesn't happen very often so I do. Unless one of them has caught a hand you can pick up the blinds..How much do you raise to get them to fold?. Do you have a minimum hand?

:confused:

T

ThunderBoss

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
good position to raise

but I don't raise much from the button because I am conservative

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually raise 3x the big blind. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think It depends on How strong is your Hand... But nothing more than 3,5bb... Like Premium hands I even like to trap If sm and BB are agressive, If not 2,2 - 2,6 already do the job

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like raising agressively anymore. I like to see the board and work with the cards on the board rather to race preflop. The button is always a good position. A good position to raise when there is no action. Good time to steal blinds.

MolonAA

MolonAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always open the 3x button, fold trash hands. Often if the small or the big pay has a lot of chance to drop if they do not. Many play from the small and the big blind just for the "discount".

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely depends on my hand but with a moderately strong hand i’ll raise around 3X bb. I feel by doing so deters the small blinds from limping in and creates a heads up situation.

Last edited:
Lil_G_Shark

Lil_G_Shark

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are sitting on the button, all fold round to you and there's only you and the blinds left in. The blinds are there because they have to, so do you take adventage of this?. It doesn't happen very often so I do. Unless one of them has caught a hand you can pick up the blinds..How much do you raise to get them to fold?. Do you have a minimum hand?

I used to have that problem too, but its def a minor fix.
Depending on your stack size and what the blinds are at. On the button and you want to pick up the blinds , I usually type in a chip size amount a lil bigger then a min raise or above whats in the pot.
works most of the time. :cool:

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will definitely open up raising range in a spot like this. Sure, you still need to take your opponents, stack sizes and other into consideration, but generally I am looking to force my opponent into a decision here.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The hands I open on the button depend on effective stacks. For example, if BB is short and effective stack is only 9 BBs, I'm going to open with a bit a tighter range because I don't want to be raise/folding to a shove with weak hands. Of course, if BB is the nittiest of mcnits, then I'm opening with a much wider range.

I try not to open too wide unless blinds are super tight and folding a ton of hands. So, while my opening range is fairly wide, I do like to open with hands that have some good post flop potential. So, I probably wouldn't open 29o too often, but i'll open with 3Js.

As far as raise sizes go, I'm sticking between 2-2.6x BB because I don't want there to be a huge discrepancy when I'm stealing blinds and I'm opening for value. Obviously, if I'm stealing blinds with a bad hand, I'm min-raising more often as it minimizes my losses if I have to fold pre/post flop, but I'm also doing the same with small pairs, suited connectors, etc. And I'm slightly increasing my bet sizes for hands I'm looking to get value with from the blinds; big pairs, suited broadways, etc. I try to keep it consistent with opening sizes, but not consistent with hands I'm opening with. So, I might open AA for 2.2x and then open KJo for 2.5x.

By keeping my opening sizes consistent, I give my opponents an opportunity to play back at me when I have a huge hand. Something I see some players do is open small with weaker hands and then pop it up 4-5x with their big hands and get no value or called/raised by better.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually raise 3x the big blind. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.
If 3x works, try dropping it to 2.9x and lower.

Figure out the minimum you need to raise to get them to fold, that way-when it doesn't work-you're losing the minimum.

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i do this often around the bubble and later stages.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's the best pocision 3 or 4 big blinds is ideal and usually results in something almost that from the basics of poker hehe good luck greetings:joyman:

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's less about how much you bet to get them to fold, but more about what range do you attempt a steal with that has the best equity against thier calling range.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Every button I min raise against the blinds.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gh

Hi there.Raising from button is a good position .After the flop you speak last so it is a good advantage for you .A 3-4 bb bet is good preflop with any card in order to steal the blinds .Good luck.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If my stack is well above average I bet 3x with mid hands or better. I don't waste my time or chips with poor hands. You just never know your opponents hands, and your bet is always recognized as auto bet. Be careful to save your chips, you never know when you'll need them.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If my stack is well above average I bet 3x with mid hands or better. I don't waste my time or chips with poor hands. You just never know your opponents hands, and your bet is always recognized as auto bet. Be careful to save your chips, you never know when you'll need them.
In tournaments I was thinking about implementing the strategy myself.... tight up my range, and going with a larger open amount when I'm well ahead of the table.... the reason I havent done it is cause if and when stacks start to even out again, I'm worried I wont get action with my standard raises after they start noticing that I'm opening with a tight range.... would seem to do well in the micros though figuring everyone had a very large flatting range...

sidenotch

sidenotch

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
don't scare 'em away

It's a definite raise position when in the button spot, but you don't want to scare away a potential larger winner than just a steal of the blinds...although, that's how ya get caught by a person who plays decent blind cards and catches a flop...Rut Roh, watch out :)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I had been playing tight, its a 3 to 4 bet with what ever is in my hand. If it is checked back, it is another 3 bet. Have to tell a story with that position.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Do you play cash games or tournaments?

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The botton is a great position, and you must take it , like my colleagues say, can do open raise X3, if someone does call, many times you'll take the pot with a continuation bet, it is important to keep the aggression on the flop.
And another situation, if you are 10, 15BB, you can try to steal bb, doing push with hands like 78 89 TJ etc, often do not pay, and if they do, can spend two things, or double your stack, and salts eliminated from the tournament, nothing happens.:D
Well depending on what you are playing, as Debi well asks

Last edited:
AlexDriver

AlexDriver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the size of my stack, because i play tournament. If i have big stack i open a wide range 2.5-3bb bet. With small stack 2-2.2bb bet.