[QUESTION] Poker/Grind House?

3betfish

3betfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thought of living in a poker/grind house sounds hella fun, but it obviously has it's trade-offs. I am coming close to the end of my college career and have been day dreaming of moving away from the traditional route of obtaining a full-time career in my field of studies, and instead playing for a living. :D

Have you ever lived in a poker/grind house? What were your experiences? What are some pros or cons? Where did you live? How did you get involved?

Please share as many details are you are willing, or comment on information you may already know. :)

Last edited:
Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I watched a reality show 2M2MM and it was interesting to watch, I liked it and I was sad it did not get renewed. They basically did what you are saying, 4 guys in Las Vegas with a goal of earning 2 million in 2 months.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched a reality show 2M2MM and it was interesting to watch, I liked it and I was sad it did not get renewed.
Yea... show was fun to watch, but I see why it wasn't renewed. They didn't play much poker and they didn't make 2 MM. They could have renewed it with a different set of players though... It didn't seem it had enough focus on the game. I think it does show how the distractions can be.... well distracting! lol. When they started talking about lowering their goal, I kinda knew it was done.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I was trying to find the thread started by a group of young men (20 somethings? I think?) who had started a Million Dollar challenge and moved to Las Vegas for a period of time (to complete the challenge, I suspect). I'm not sure how far they really got, given they stopped posting quite awhile ago, but if I find it, I will be sure to post it here.

Bottom line, I think it's doable - not only do you need to have a good handle on the game (whichever variant you plan to play) but dedication is so key. Like Robochick stated, "distractions can be.... well distracting!"

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Myself and a few forum members would have spent time thinking about this but for it to work you have to consider the following

1) above doing it with people you get along with you need to be a group of people playing similar stakes, it’s important that everyone is on somewhat of a level playing field, this makes sure everything stays fairly even, if you have a mix of high stakes and low stakes you can see it getting complicated and some people being less able to support the group etc.

2) have to be even more self motivating than normal, you get 5-10 dudes living together and it’s easy to forget that poker was the goal

3) do it in an exotic location, no point being in the same area you always lived in, a lot of people who do it would go Thailand and mexico etc

Obv other considerations but those are the few I think are most important

3betfish

3betfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched a reality show 2M2MM and it was interesting to watch, I liked it and I was sad it did not get renewed. They basically did what you are saying, 4 guys in Las Vegas with a goal of earning 2 million in 2 months. 2 Months 2 Million Full (All Episodes) (Complete) - YouTube
I saw 2M2MM and thought it was really cool. A year later I found that people actually do what they do, but with different benchmarks and goals depending on the house.

Yea... show was fun to watch, but I see why it wasn't renewed. They didn't play much poker and they didn't make 2 MM. They could have renewed it with a different set of players though... It didn't seem it had enough focus on the game. I think it does show how the distractions can be.... well distracting! lol. When they started talking about lowering their goal, I kinda knew it was done.
They didn't make 2MM but I am pretty confident they played a lot of poker. They obviously didn't film every single second of them playing, the series would be several hundred hours long! It may have not focused on the game, but I feel the series was trying to make it entertaining for the their general audience.

I was trying to find the thread started by a group of young men (20 somethings? I think?) who had started a Million Dollar challenge and moved to Las Vegas for a period of time (to complete the challenge, I suspect). I'm not sure how far they really got, given they stopped posting quite awhile ago, but if I find it, I will be sure to post it here.
please send me the link if you ever stumble upon it!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One player from my country attempted this entirely alone few years ago and spent several months in Vegas trying to get enough money to continue but at the end it did not work. As far as i remember bankroll management was his main problem. If you are good enough player, have strict bankroll management and can resist at least partially to the extras offered by sin city you can do it in my opinion.

If it will be a group of people you can try two different approaches. First would be to just live at the same place and then everybody works independantly from the other. This is less risky and you will save some money by sharing common room. Other approach would be to grind together with common budget and splitting the gains trying to counter variance this way but to do that you should know the other people really well and be sure that you are approximately at the same level of playing.

Good luck if you decide to do that. It definitely requires courage to try something like that.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ahh,i remember these guys,lol.:D I wonder what happened? (i checked youtube,they stopped making vids after i questioned their motives) Hmmmmmm? ;)

You will remember it was a group of 4, then by week 4 (if I remember right) one fella dropped out.

I watched the last video they posted on their YouTube account and they said they were up to $250k (I think Euros?..not sure, actually) and did you see the number of hours they have put in? That's dedication.

I wondered about expenses, which made me wonder just how much were they actually pocketing or reinvesting. They don't mention anything about that.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I met a guy in Tampa that said he did something similar to this with a couple people every summer. I didn't really get too much info from him, and it was a while ago, but I think they were from somewhere in New England and would go to Tampa to play at the Hard Rock every summer and split rent and study together. They might have switched up locations every year, but I can't really remember now.
I'm not too aware of many places like this, but I did see the 2M2MM, and didn't know about the Haslet House.. looks interesting I'll have to check their vids out.
I have heard of sponsors that do this for pro video gamers, especially over in Asia where they apparently have televised tournaments.
I guess I didn't really answer any of your questions, but this topic is very interesting to me and I hope you find the info you are looking for.

3betfish

3betfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more I think about the goals of "1 million in x amount of time", it relates back to the typical bankroll challenges - but at higher stakes and with limited timeframes lol.

The original bankroll challenge in my honest opinion? Mikey from Rounders trying to come up with money in XYZ amount of hours before getting owned by KGB lol.

R

Razaedge

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesss

this sounds like a really great idea, but you need to know you are living with real players and not gamblers.