Punting off a stack

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure we have all done it then asked ourselves why.

In a tourney last night which was one I had final tabled the night before I built a stack bigger than the one I entered the final table with before proceeding to completely punt it off with around 50 players remaining

I entered a hand and on the board I held blockers to the nuts having the nut flush draw which then missed with 3 clubs on board I foolishly decided to go for it and apply max pressure and shoved having barrelled on previous streets. I got called off 2nd pair for his whole stack surely a tough call to make but the overaggressive way I played the hand was unnecessary as was shoving 60bb with pocket 8s the following hand getting called off AK he hit and I was crippled in two hands punting off a huge stack.

Last edited:
Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
We've all been there, for me it's either tilt or throwing caution to the wind because I've been running like god and think it won't end.

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure we have all done it then asked ourselves why.

In a tourney last night which was one I had final tabled the night before I built a stack bigger than the one I entered the final table with before proceeding to completely punt it off with around 50 players remaining

I entered a hand and on the board I held blockers to the nuts having the nut flush draw which then missed with 3 clubs on board I foolishly decided to go for it and apply max pressure and shoved having barrelled on previous streets. I got called off 2nd pair for his whole stack surely a tough call to make but the overaggressive way I played the hand was unnecessary as was shoving 60bb with pocket 8s the following hand getting called off AK he hit and I was crippled in two hands punting off a huge stack.

What happened on the final table the night before? If you busted in a frustrating way or did not place well then this is probably the source of your tilt. I had a similar incident (finishing 5th in a two horse race :confused:) which put me on a tilt spiral for weeks. It's because of seeing the effort and time spent building the stack just go to waste. This is not helped by payout structures which are very top heavy.

On the positive side, you can clearly see your mistake on the hand described which is more introspection than most people manage :) You'll be back on the same final table soon enough and this time you'll have these memories (scars) to stop it happening again :cool: good luck!

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What happened on the final table the night before? If you busted in a frustrating way or did not place well then this is probably the source of your tilt. I had a similar incident (finishing 5th in a two horse race :confused:) which put me on a tilt spiral for weeks. It's because of seeing the effort and time spent building the stack just go to waste. This is not helped by payout structures which are very top heavy.

On the positive side, you can clearly see your mistake on the hand described which is more introspection than most people manage :) You'll be back on the same final table soon enough and this time you'll have these memories (scars) to stop it happening again :cool: good luck!

Nothing really bad happened at the previous FT I did bust out with the best hand but don't think I was tilted.

In the first hand I tried to get a 10 to fold (2nd pair) I just thought he can't have the nuts and if I apply enough pressure he wouldn't be able to call which was a bad way of thinking

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluff is a part of the game. Can't really judge by single case if it was a good decision or not. Poker gives advantage to agressive players. Maybe your betting pattern was too obvious and just looked like a bluff. With a busted draw if you want to bluff there should be a possibility of other made draw on the board to make it look real.