Psychology in poker and in life

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello again (for today I don't bother you anymore :)).

I have unfinished university studies in psychology and it is one of my pending subjects in life.
I found this article surfing the Internet, I liked it and I want to share it with you.

See you tomorrow.

Psychology in poker and in life
Those who think that to win in poker only needs luck, they don't know how the game works. It could be the case that someone who played for the first time would end up winning, but it would only be that, a possibility, nothing to do with reality.

To play poker you need a dose of temperance, study, concentration and psychology, a lot of psychology.

Professional poker players choose the card game as their way of life, moving away from what would be a common day of 40 hours. But in his working day, in addition to playing tournaments, a poker player needs to prepare by devoting time to the study of different games, to the development of logic and to prepare psychologically.

Psychology is, in many respects, an essential quality for the poker player. The first one we will talk about refers to how the poker player has to deal with himself and, therefore, with his own psychology. As an elite athlete who is alone on the court, the poker player must face his own ghosts at the game table and, for this, he must resort to different strategies:

Positive display
Visualize before a championship with a winning attitude and status. Imagine yourself in a positive context exponentially increases the chances of winning.

Consolidation
It's about always repeating a gesture every time things go well and repeating it in times of stress or anxiety. In this way, the brain is deceived that it will react with a positive feeling every time the gesture is made.

Corporal lenguage
Poker is one of the professions where you lie the most. For the poker player, it is essential to analyze how his body reacts depending on the emotions he feels so that, in this way, he can master it at his convenience and mislead on the contrary.

The second of the aspects in which psychology is essential in poker, is in relation to the player's relationship with his opponents: just as we must know our gestures to control them, we must know those of the other players at the table to anticipate to his plays.

It is something as simple as empathy, the ability to put ourselves in the place of the other to understand and take advantage of it. One of the ways to understand the adversary is to observe him before the game. It is about carefully observing how the opponent reacts in different contexts, analyzing their gestures both outside the table and once the game has started.

Observing others and understanding their reactions is the only way we can get a clear and realistic idea of ​​what happens or can happen. But, as each person and their psychology are unique.

We must analyze each case individually and without generalizing. For example, if a player talks a lot and then at the table is silent, it may be: because he has bad cards and is nervous, or because he has a good play and is anxious. We will have to see what their particular case is and not generalize with the majority reaction of the players in that situation.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excelent article i loved it

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It is a fair article about poker, should be read by those who rely heavily on luck in poker.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Totally agree my friend. Greetings.

Last edited:
T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While luck has its place in poker, playing the psychological aspect of the game is much more important. I love and agree with the article very much so.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Undoubtedly, psychology plays a very important role. There are basic principles that affect success both in the game and in personal life. Therefore, it is very important to understand yourself and your psycho-emotional state.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Talking about psychology is an interesting topic, and much more when we relate it to poker. While the article mention some topic, it does so superficially and leaves other topics out.

If we talk about psychology, we should talk about concentration; which allows us to deploy our best game (A-Game). We must also talk about the tilt, of those negative emotions that harm our game. And how not to talk about self-improvement? Which allows us to exceed our limits to reach new personal levels.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How about philosophy? Do you think I poker player can benefit from studying philosophy?

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is indeed a very good article that determines all the factors that can help you win and understand this game in depth. thank you for sharing it with us.