Professional or beginner..?

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
How do you know that you are past the beginner level and are a professional poker player?
Tournament prizes make you professional?
What kind of player do you consider yourself if you know that; You do not need a physical degree to become a poker professional.

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
A professional poker player makes his living out of poker, I guess you are referring to "a winning player". I'd consider myself as one, because I won the 888Twitch tournament recently and my bankroll is constantly filling up.

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Total posts
How do you know that you are past the beginner level and are a professional poker player?
What kind of player do you consider yourself if you know that; You do not need a physical degree to become a poker professional.
I'd say you know you're a professional player when you're away from home so much (playing poker) you have difficulty remembering where home is.

F

fernandofcp

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
I will know that I became a pro the day I made my living from poker. The day I start making a lot of money from poker, I'll know I'm a pro.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Most players are amateurs. Some amateurs a good enough to beat the rake and become winning players. Some players are so good that poker becomes their primary form of income and become pro players.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Total posts
Awards
UA
Hello.
I believe that professional players are players who have made poker their main activity. I think professional players get their main income by playing poker. So professional players are players for whom poker is their main job.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Total posts
I'm thinking about a new category - "Professional beginner":D

V

valanddon

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
I have played for awhile now and I am not a beginner but I do not
make a living a it . I play because I enjoy the game and it is a pass time.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Total posts
There is a very fine line between an amateur and a professional in poker, because even when playing with a lot of mistakes, you can still win and replenish your bankroll. This is a feature of poker.:)

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Total posts
Awards
I think to become a poker pro you need to go through the entry level and have a decent amount of money.

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Total posts
Hard to say but there should be some signs:

Do you know the language when players are talking live, cowboys, pocket rockets etc
Do you know why your two pair 95 (95JJ7) - lost (when the opponent has a higher pair only (TT) - (e.g. how long would it take a player to know, i've seen many players who ask why they lost)

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
When you play solely poker for a living and you also cope with hands off the felts in order to review them again and again then you are surely not a beginner. Also if you hire coaches in order to make you better and better then surely you are not a beginner.

IMO though there are not only the above 2 categories , players are not only beginners or professionals , the biggest amount is in between. In between there are all the rest , the recreational players, the side income winners or the side income bigger winners haha. I have many examples of players who have their 9-5 job and they play because they like the game and they win nice amounts! :)

Bnobob

Bnobob

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
The Big Game

to be a member of the pokerstars star team and the ultimate poker player

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Total posts
Hello, I'm a poker newcomer myself and this is my hobby, but I think the poker professional is the person who knows a lot of the intricacies of this game and makes a minimum of mistakes, while for him this is the main source of income for which he can provide himself and his family! Many want to become professional poker players, but I think it's not as simple as it seems, it's a very big job, discipline and it's not given to everyone! If you want to become a professional, work on the game a lot, and I wish you only good luck and victories!

C

Cooking

Legend
Total posts
Awards
I think if you live with your poker profits you can be considered a poker professional.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Total posts
I'm a professional. All my charts are positive.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Total posts
Awards
I think that to become a professional player you need a tremendous mastery of poker, both in theory and in practice. A professional player is one who is only dedicated to the game and lives from it, in my opinion. I also think that he is the one who has already had success and formed a career in the world of Poker, to the point that now he shares his knowledge with others who want to venture into this talented game. Regards.

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Total posts
Awards
A professional poker player lives only from poker, he has no other job than playing poker, his income is exclusively from poker. When the income comes only from playing poker, he is a professional poker player.

jfofla

jfofla

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
you will only be a professional player when you participate in a big tournament with real professionals.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Complex issue. I think professional players also have a series of failures. But this does not mean that they are losers.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Total posts
professional players 5-10%
they make money playing poker, they took training, they worked with programs

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
There are varying degrees of potency of play between beginner and pro. Being a pro is a full level of commitment that a small percent of people can handle !!!

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
If you can make a living playing poker, congratulations. you are a professional.

A

alabos

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
i'm average player.......not pro but not beginner......i can win and i can loose.....

W

wpilson70

Rock Star
Total posts
I think if you live with your poker profits you can be considered a poker professional.

This is the closest I’ve seen in this thread to anyone actually getting the question and answering it correctly

You live off the profits you make in the game of poker. I’d say yes to that

You make $15 a week profit while working a 9-5 m-f job. No. You’re not a pro.

You mention any freeroll “winnings” as part of your sick brag. No. You’re not a pro

“I won a $22 sit and go”. No. Not a pro.

Pretty simple question for so many to completely miss it entirely.

Last edited: