Probability of going pro?

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very difficult in today's poker economy but can be done if you work hard enough.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As far as i know, only 2-5% become a professional players. And this people are really intelligent, resistant to stress, have a steel-will, and nerves of steel. They can find a right tournament, defind risk and money management, and have a profitable strategy. So, it is possible, but difficult.

D

doctor zver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only 2% of players win money in poker. What do you mean by professional poker player? I think it is very difficult to learn how to win money playing the highest rates.
The average salary in Russia it is possible to win at NL2

W

Weee3eee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think going pro takes some dedication to the study and know the variance of the game. If you think that you can make X amount of money a week and 100% profit then I would say it doesn't work that easy. With a job, you keep receiving checks regardless wether you are A+ worker or a D- worker.

Now with that said. Management of a bankroll and discipline and be resilient to the swings and adjusting to the ever changing dynamic of poker and hard work ethic it can be done.

H

HEFOLK132

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker as a way of earning!

My dream is to build a career with the help of poker, how you feel about it?

N

nworsley94

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Like with any kind of sport/game, millions of people play and only a few make a living from it. It is definitely possible with a lot of work and studying of the game.

Think positive and positive things will happen!!!

W

Weee3eee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow ,going pro is a big step,maybe a Dream -dreams are always fullfilable but if you only have the bankroll and willing to sacrifice many hours ,days and for the most parts ur personnel life relationships,
Guess being single wud be a plus ,but in that !!!! the single life away from friends can and many times lead to drinking,drugs and more so when u hit a loosing streak, IT's bad enuf Online when your'e on that [can't make a hand]
For sure it takes a stable and strong mindset and willingness to conquer those DREAMS

P

plyto777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the main thing is constant work on yourself and on your game! be diligent and believe in yourself))

Jauheni Danilenka

Jauheni Danilenka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a chance for each person, most importantly patience and continuous learning. No one knows what tournament you can win tomorrow, you need to try - and succeed!

SAVag

SAVag

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What can byto likely to become a professional? Become a professional - it is the desire and aspiration, the implementation of which depends only on one's own there can not be nor any probability. There is a chance to win a particular game, but professionals do not get from random wins.
Love their work, are constantly engaged to improve their skill level and gradually you will be able to call a professional. I think the only way.

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that to become a professional is not so hard, but all depends on the money and you need a lot of time to gain experience. Here, for example, if I cancel my main job and I will be spending a lot of time and money to play poker professionally, who will feed me and my family?

K

Kevin Watts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You would have to find the right games and volume. Even in Las Vegas, the good games are fewer than ever. The best chance would be in Los Angeles.
Card rooms are 300 plus tables, plus a lot of rich people play there. Otherwise, you are chasing bread crumbs.

N

Nick92

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To become pro is just time needed and experience

S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very difficult in today's climate! So many players, so much information. But anything is possible!

Hard Work, Studying, Risk Averse, Bankroll Management.

And what kind of job do you have now? If you are young, maybe a college student, no family, then that's the time to do it!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There is of course no such data because everyone who plays, either online or in real life, dreams of making it as a pro player.
I disagree. I'd suggest it is only a small percentage of players who dream of making it as a pro (typically younger ones)
Much harder than 15 years ago.
100% agree! Just 10yrs. ago if a person was willing to do a bit of work they could be a winning player online... perhaps even enough to live off of.Today it is much different!
It is very difficult in today's poker economy but can be done if you work hard enough.
I agree... but I would emphasize VERY DIFFICULT (& not very likely for most people)
As far as i know, only 2-5% become a professional players. And this people are really intelligent, resistant to stress, have a steel-will, and nerves of steel. They can find a right tournament, defind risk and money management, and have a profitable strategy. So, it is possible, but difficult.

I'd guess it is lower than 2 - 5%

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yea the field really began to multiply at an intense rate starting in 2004 or so

sakenby

sakenby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He is a bad soldier who does not dream to be a General.In the same way everywhere...the Likelihood of becoming a professional poker player close to zero...Although one tournament can change a life.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We must strive, and then everything will turn out, and without the desire to 0

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure there's exact stats, but I did read a supposed statistical breakdown that only ~5% of people make money long term at poker. So out of that 5%, how many can be a pro long term. Pretty small.

psyho26

psyho26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only 5% of 100% plus players
of these 5% only 2% earn good money

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are no official data, and is almost sure that the percentage is very low.

Bodomovac

Bodomovac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there is an official odd of becoming a pro poker player. And also I don't think you need a big bankroll to go pro, you just need to read as much books about poker and statistics as you can...build the knowledge of probability.