Which pro poker player do you think is the best ?

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both bracelets probably being from fields of about 40 people ;) ......

The main event in 1978 (for example) had only 42 entrants, and in 1982 (for example) had 104 entrants.

My criticism is of Negreanu (and the others who said it), not of Reese....Negreanu specifically said that Chip Reese was the best player at present because he won the 50k HORSE....obviously that is a little bit "throw-away" as far as comments are concerned...but alot of people seemed to have picked up on it and taken it literally.

Chip Reese is a good poker player, but IMO I'd stick him down below quite a few others.

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right....here's a fairly loosely based opinion :-

The year 2000 onwards is when the wsop really took off in terms of player numbers. And the WSOP is pretty much the premier poker tournament series so......(wait for it :p ) :-

Looking at WSOP tournaments 2000 onwards, giving 3 pts for a win, 2 for a second and 1 for a third.....would lead to :-

1) Chris "Jesus" Ferguson
2) Phil Ivey
3) Johnny Chan (tied with Phil Hellmuth on points, but has 5 firsts)
4) Phil Hellmuth (tied with Johhny on points, but has 4 firsts)
5) Men The Master
6) Allen Cunningham

There, that is settled....these are undisputedly the best 6 players in the world today :eek: :p.

yes, yes, yes.....i know, i know...

brown110

brown110

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chip Reese is the best cash game player, and would be a lot more well known if he played more tournaments. That being said, I still think that Phil Hellmuth Jr. and Daniel Negreanu are the best Holdem players in the world. I'm convinced Negreanu is able to see everyone's hole cards and Hellmuth has seen every situation and knows excatly how to act in each and every one of them.

For the worst, I don't think there can be an argument against Chris Moneymaker being the worst. Even during his 2003 run he had dozens of suckouts and the bad play never caught up to him because of this. The reason no one has seen him play since then is because he has cashed only twice in the WSOP since then and he placed very poorly in Poker Superstars II.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Brown nailed it. Chip Reese is widely considered the best cash game player in the world. It's really not even close. Ask every top-level pro who the best cash game player in the world is and I literally think at LEAST 75% of them would say Chip Reese instantly. Whether you believe the "better poker player" would be the better tournament player or the best cash game player is a matter of opinion.

From what I've seen Reese seems to be a good tournament player too, although you could easily argue Andy Bloch should have won the HORSE tournament instead of Reese. Reese doubled up on Bloch in heads up play when they got all the money in with Bloch as a ~65% favorite. If it holds up, he's champ. Bloch lost a couple of other races to Reese too, but of course that's the nature of poker.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jennifer Harman takes the prize for best limit hold 'em cash game player, in my book.

Arsenal28

Arsenal28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Negraneau is the best player to watch. His ability to read players is second to none. He is usually very upbeat at the table and friendly. Perhaps what I like most about him is his ability to take a bad beat and not blow up or ridicule the person that made a bad play. He is a gentleman at the table and I wish more of the early 20 year old "pros" would have the table presence of him.

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I happen to think that Joe Hatchem is currently the best player right now.

He was robbed of 2 bracelets in the WSOP this year because of miracle river cards. If I remenber Dutch Boyd was one of the lucky suckout guys

Then in the main event he was about to double up to about $2m (when Gold had $3m) when his pocket rockets were cracked. Would have been very interesting to see how Gold would have reacted with Joe in his face.

:)

L

lhsstanger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I happen to think that Joe Hatchem is currently the best player right now.

He was robbed of 2 bracelets in the WSOP this year because of miracle river cards. If I remenber Dutch Boyd was one of the lucky suckout guys

Then in the main event he was about to double up to about $2m (when Gold had $3m) when his pocket rockets were cracked. Would have been very interesting to see how Gold would have reacted with Joe in his face.

:)
I agree %100 Hachem is hot and has been since his win....Michael "The Grinder" Mizrachi had a hell of a year and won 2006 card player of the year.....Obviously Negraneau is beast as is The Mouth....but my personal favs are Barry Greenstein and Cunningham:eek:

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MrJac is a great player. I know this is true, because he said so:

[old link~tb]

Last edited by a moderator:
mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Egon, MrJac is the best player in the world. Why else would he start a thread saying that, it must be true. No sense in debating the issue any more.

S

schild41

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Negreanu

I really enjoy watching Negreanu for his uncanny ability to positively peg his opponents hands. While his ability to read people is impressive, I am equally impressed by his demeanor. He puts people on hands consistently, and makes generally good decisions. I cannot recall ever watching him be disrespectful even if his opponents make a bad beat. He may however talk a little too much. I am optimistic 2007 will be a strong year for Daniel.

Holli Would

Holli Would

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Danny Negreanu is totally amazing! His reads on people are almost telepathic and his video blog is one of the best things out there on the net re: poker. Worst player? Maybe Phil H. He can't play a cash game to save his life. No versatility whatsoever...

Holli Would

Holli Would

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sooo right on!

I think Negraneau is the best player to watch. His ability to read players is second to none. He is usually very upbeat at the table and friendly. Perhaps what I like most about him is his ability to take a bad beat and not blow up or ridicule the person that made a bad play. He is a gentleman at the table and I wish more of the early 20 year old "pros" would have the table presence of him.

High Stakes Poker just isn't the same when Danny's not there. Has anyone seen Poker After Dark? Even with Phil's blow-up, it was soooo boring! They need to get Danny on there to liven things up.

Holli Would

Holli Would

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Which Pro Player do you think is the Creepiest?

At the very top of the list is Paul 'Quack-quck' Magriel.
Runner up: Marcel Luske. He creeps me out with the missing eyebrows thing!

tootalltim

tootalltim

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
best player

dan negraneau by far. i cant believe the way that guy can read the table. just amazing too watch him predict the players cards

zowzza

zowzza

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh that an easy question to answer. The best poker player is the one the takes the money. We all have good and bad days and can learn something from everyone and even ourselves.

wheely5

wheely5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like Daniel N. because he's entertaining and impressive on how he can tell you what you have in your hand most of the time. But, I have another question? Out of Moneymaker, Raymer, Hachem, and Gold which one do you all like the best?

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Out of Moneymaker, Raymer, Hachem, and Gold which one do you all like the best?

Hachem, easily. I think Hachem is definitely the most skilled of them too, although Raymer is a good, knowledgeable player as well. Remains to be seen whether Gold will have more success than Moneymaker, but I doubt either will ever be close to Hachem's level.

F

freakything

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
YES,, well that poker player freakything,, seems to be real good,, so, I say freakything is the best poker pro,, and the WORST!

F

freakything

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
JUST Kiding,, freakything knows not a thing about poker stuff

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While I really admire Negreanu's hand reading ability, I need to point out that when you're watching WSOP coverage and similar TV shows, the producers tend to focus on the amazing stuff, so they'll cut out the 5 times he puts someone on a bluff and loses (or a real hand and wrongly folds) and instead show the time he pegs someone on specifically a pair of 5s or 6s and is right.

The only surefire way to measure success in poker is to measure earnings. It's really, really hard to figure out who has made the most money though, since the only official records are tournament price money, and that's likely to be just a drop in the bucket of the actual total amount won and lost by the high rollers.

There's a LOT of money involved in the high stakes cash games. Someone who beats the big game in The Bellagio for 1bb/hr and averages 10 hours per week, 40 weeks per year in the game and plays no other poker at all than that is going to be a $3 million a year winner. Food for thought.

_MavsFan_

_MavsFan_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best poker player - in my opinion -> Negreanu and close second runner Ivey because they can read people and control tables.

Worst poker player - in my opinion -> Moneymaker - havent seen him that much since he won the '03 WSOP.

Now, my favorite and not so favorite (worst):
Favorite - Phil Ivey - great personality and I like his style of play

Not so favorite - Phil Helmuth - dont like his attitude, even though that is what might make him so good.

RiscaRod

RiscaRod

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cant beat a bit of Doyle Brunson now can you. Although I've seen Hellmuth make a few amazing plays.

I like to watch Gus Hansen, but I seriously doubt he makes half as much money as he could. He loves the gambling aspect alot.

A

atkmani

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cant beat a bit of Doyle Brunson now can you. Although I've seen Hellmuth make a few amazing plays.

I like to watch Gus Hansen, but I seriously doubt he makes half as much money as he could. He loves the gambling aspect alot.

LoL 2 Doyle Brunson the only reason he still can play is coz he don't have to hold cards in hands and can keep e'm on table j/k.

cheers /atk :D