Pro players can play all variants of poker

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing I notice when I read about some pro is that he won a tournament in holdemm then in Omaha and so on. Maybe it is correct to try all games to earn some instincts in the toughest spots. What do you think?

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think playing multiple games helps you to approach the game in a different way that just playing one game. Even though I mostly play Hold 'em, playing other games enhances my poker thought process.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think playing multiple games helps you to approach the game in a different way that just playing one game. Even though I mostly play Hold 'em, playing other games enhances my poker thought process.

This is my viewpoint also.

I am not good at other poker variants - mixed games - or even HORSE.

But - it does open my mind to how "obviously" or straightforward people play holdem - even when they are bluffing.

It does always surprise me when I find myself explaining Short Deck to local pros in my room and their response is "Oh, very interesting." lol

Good luck !

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I playing hold'em only freerolls usually because I hate this game in modern reality. For money I play only lo games.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is good to learn different games.

It is also fun to be able to play other forms of poker for fun and profit, when holdem becomes motononous.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker there is an unwritten rule applied to players: "Apprentice of everything, master of nothing".

There are few professional high stakes players who specialize in various modalities. If you want to be very good and compete against the best, specialization is necessary, that is, use all your time and energy to learn a modality, otherwise you will only become a standard player (neither too bad nor too good).

You will not hear players like OtB_RedBaron or LLinusLLove say: “while I was learning Hold´em I also played Omaha

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No they can't. I love statistics, and found out that poker pros are usually successful only in one type. But there are expections as well. I mean different games need different skills no matter that each of them are played with cards.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate.Of course they can but they must have one poker variant in which they are more profitable than the other ones..

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No they can't. I love statistics, and found out that poker pros are usually successful only in one type. But there are expections as well. I mean different games need different skills no matter that each of them are played with cards.

I think the skills are very similar.

As a lover of statistics I think you can appreciate that math is used in any game.

You are usually trying to leverage the odds in your favor.

So, in different games that leverage occurs at different times and with different situations.

I think you would agree that if someone never uses math in their life - it is still healthy for them to learn math.

I think the same logic applies here.

Good luck !

E

EvandroGatti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing PLO and PLO5 helped a lot my game because of variance. Different styles make you think and act better in my opinion.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play exclusively holdem but I have played limit, stud and draw as well as PLO. I'm not particularly good at these other games as I haven't spent a whole lot of time playing them but do find them an enjoyable variant.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it is right to concentrate all your potential in one direction and work hard to achieve one specific goal. I am convinced that in this case you will be able to succeed faster.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that professional poker players have mastered the niche varieties because it is easier to get a wsop bracelet in them because of the low field.

malitoxdk16

malitoxdk16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on which one suits you best, which you have a better understanding of and which you spent as much time as possible. In my current example I only play holdem but if you are good at ohama / PLO good for you

P

possle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think that you have to know all types. It's important to be as good as possible in that one you are prefering.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think a professional player can only be professional in one thing. If you think you can be a professional chess player, basketball player, musician and train driver at the same time, this is highly unlikely.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to learn poker from the herd, and the last one in training should be hold'em. If you know all these Stud and Razzs then you will be successful in hold'em.

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A double feeling, you can develop yourself in one variety and be more and more stronger, but if you are good at learning, you can learn other varieties

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Growing up playing home games we always played dealers choice. I don't if there is a game out there that I haven't played. My favorite of all has to be Omaha 8 or better.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the skills are very similar.

I think you would agree that if someone never uses math in their life - it is still healthy for them to learn math.

If he learns math while running on the treadmill then yes, it would be healthy. Otherwise, not really :)

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heh...I can play every game and every variant. I suck at all of them. Kind of a jack of all trades master of none kind of thing. Proud to have bragging rights of being a well-rounded donkey though.:D

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Different games require different strategies. I don't think it'll help in the Hold'em games.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing other poker variants might indirectly help improve your game of holdem, but if you spend that same time playing actual holdem it would help your game more, so playing other variants is counterproductive for your holdem skills per se.

Pros do play other poker variants, but they don't do it to improve their holdem skills.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best players follow the money flow. If they see that there are more money and worse opponents in some kind of poker game they use this as advantage to earn easier money. Saying that most pro players have certain poker variant which they play best and prefer.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he learns math while running on the treadmill then yes, it would be healthy. Otherwise, not really :)

Math expands the mind and develops maturity.

Even if you don't use that form of math daily - it allows your brain to grow in ways that it otherwise would not.

So your brain can be creative in ways that it otherwise would not - or see/imagine situations that it otherwise would not.

Physical treadmill not required....

Good luck !