Pro Play or Donk Play?

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blitz Poker on America's Cardroom is the same thing as "Zoom" on PokerStars

Generally the preflop open-raise ranges are tighter, however the 3bet ranges seem to widen up a bit and also frequency of 3bets go way up on Blitz $10NL vs the normal $10NL 6max counterpart.

Effective Stacks are about $10, 100 big blinds.

Action begins with Hero holding 33 on the Button and it folds around to Hero.

Hero opens for a standard min (2.2x) bet.

Villain in the Big Blind 3bets about 3.5x to 7.7bb's. Hero calls.
(I might normally actually fold this, but I've been getting 3bet about 90% of the time I've been opening and it's been pissing me off)

FLOP (pot = $1.52)
292 (rainbow)

Villain leads for 2/3 pot and bets $1 even into $1.52 pot.
Hero wants to (like a n00b) "know where he's at" and min raises to $2 like the chump that he is.
Obviously, villain flats the stupid min-raise.

Turn (pot = $5.32)
292 6h (2 hearts on board now, the 2h and 6h)
Villain leads for 1/2 pot and bets $2.79
Hero calls.
The pot is now pretty huge ($10.62)

River (pot = $10.62)
292 6h 9c
The river pairs the board again, but I think is somewhat of a blank, since someone either has the 9 already or doesn't have it, right?

Villain shoves for remaining ~45 big blinds effective ($4.49)

Hero?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't like it at all. V could be bluffing with the best hand a lot here. We dont block anything and the flush also comes in OTR (which may have influenced the shove decision since V had the Ah), not that V has tons of flushes but we are only bluff catching against Ax here. For stacks. Without stats on VPIP/PFR how can you make this read to bluff catch for stacks? I think we also may have some timing tells. After he called our flop raise when we tank call the turn lead he knows exactly where he's at a lot of the time. He 3 bet with a legit hand and we don't have odds to set mine with only 100 BB eff. So:
Fold pre, fold flop or if we are raising then make a real raise and jam turn. Our line is all over the place when we min raise flop then flat turn. I actually don't mind the river call after getting to that spot but it just seems like a bad spot to be in. I think you won this hand more because you were frustrated at getting 3 bet too much and just got sticky and luckily ran into the bottom of Vs range.

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't like it at all. V could be bluffing with the best hand a lot here. We dont block anything and the flush also comes in OTR (which may have influenced the shove decision since V had the Ah), not that V has tons of flushes but we are only bluff catching against Ax here. For stacks. Without stats on VPIP/PFR how can you make this read to bluff catch for stacks? I think we also may have some timing tells. After he called our flop raise when we tank call the turn lead he knows exactly where he's at a lot of the time. He 3 bet with a legit hand and we don't have odds to set mine with only 100 BB eff. So:
Fold pre, fold flop or if we are raising then make a real raise and jam turn. Our line is all over the place when we min raise flop then flat turn. I actually don't mind the river call after getting to that spot but it just seems like a bad spot to be in. I think you won this hand more because you were frustrated at getting 3 bet too much and just got sticky and luckily ran into the bottom of Vs range.

Thanks c0rnbr34d I agree 100% w/ your analysis. I just got myself into a shitty spot and got lucky.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont hate the 2.2BB open, but in cash games with the effective at 100BBs we should be going about 3BBs. I can understand your theory behind it though, keep the pot small to be able to seek a flop if 3bet (most of the time).... granted even if I opened 3x, and they 3Bet me to 9BBs, I'm still making the call to set hunt while I have position....

With that said, I'm only calling for the pure reason of set hunting.... with the flop coming 292, I might float a small bet to be able to take the pot against 2 overs (typically A high, or KQ).... with them firing strong on the flop, that screams 9x, or a pair 44-88, TT-QQ.... I think all the Ax, and Kx hands along with AA, KK bet small for value.... so I would have just folded on the flop....

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont hate the 2.2BB open, but in cash games with the effective at 100BBs we should be going about 3BBs. I can understand your theory behind it though, keep the pot small to be able to seek a flop if 3bet (most of the time).... granted even if I opened 3x, and they 3Bet me to 9BBs, I'm still making the call to set hunt while I have position....

With that said, I'm only calling for the pure reason of set hunting.... with the flop coming 292, I might float a small bet to be able to take the pot against 2 overs (typically A high, or KQ).... with them firing strong on the flop, that screams 9x, or a pair 44-88, TT-QQ.... I think all the Ax, and Kx hands along with AA, KK bet small for value.... so I would have just folded on the flop....

I'm interested in discussing opening strategy in Blitz, glad you mentioned it. My reasoning (right or wrong) behind the 2.2x open is because I open (almost) all my hands from CO/BU, including the times when I get AA/KK I can 4bet min and commit the opponent while hiding my true hole cards. The 2.2x BU open induces a lot of light 3bets as well. Also I think that the times that the blinds fold (which is a lot in Blitz) gives me awesome value on the 2.2x steals

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm interested in discussing opening strategy in Blitz, glad you mentioned it. My reasoning (right or wrong) behind the 2.2x open is because I open (almost) all my hands from CO/BU, including the times when I get AA/KK I can 4bet min and commit the opponent while hiding my true hole cards. The 2.2x BU open induces a lot of light 3bets as well. Also I think that the times that the blinds fold (which is a lot in Blitz) gives me awesome value on the 2.2x steals
And that's why I'm ok with it. By downing your size allows you to play a little wider. Which is ok, it's just a style choice.... I have my ranges constructed for 3x in cash, but in MTTs I also take this strat when effective is less the 100BBs.

M

Maksimus71087

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. So I think in nearly 70 % it will be bluf. He jush wants to make hero to fold.
1: the bet size is too high.
2: no straight and flush.
3: preflop situation tells us that his hands come in bord in Just 15-20% or even less.
4: your hands will come in bord in thi same 15-20%.
So I think call is the Best hero can do.
Also can be raise all-in.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. So I think in nearly 70 % it will be bluf. He jush wants to make hero to fold.
1: the bet size is too high.
2: no straight and flush.
3: preflop situation tells us that his hands come in bord in Just 15-20% or even less.
4: your hands will come in bord in thi same 15-20%.
So I think call is the Best hero can do.
Also can be raise all-in.
This seems way off to me. After V 3bets pre there are tons of pocket pairs in his range. How can you possibly say that V has no pair here on this river 70% of the time after 3 betting pre and triple barreling? Most Vs are giving up on K high here and not 3 betting AT-. We lose to any pocket pair (or chop vs 33), any 6x, any 2x, any 9x, and any flush (hearts came in). I understand he doesn't have many 2x (only A2s or 22) or 6x (A6s, 66) but all these combos add up. He could well think he's bluffing with a hand like 77, 88 or A6s and actually have the best hand. We are really bluff catching for stacks against an aggressive AJ+