Pre-flop raises

hunterws

hunterws

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any time someone raises me preflop I can feel my ears turn red.
I dream of a poker game that deals all the beginning cards face up.
No preflop. That's how annoying it is, guess it's supposed to be?

Thoughts on how to deal with this?
It's to the point, among other factors, I may walk away from it.
One other big factor is boredom, like watching paint dry watching timer bars expire. Can't take it.

[emoji6]

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
well, if you don't like raises and want cards up...

try Chinese open-face pineapple poker! take a look it's pretty fun. On coinpoker and tonybet

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also feel uncomfortable when someone raises me and my hand is not very strong. But I think that is mostly because we don't master playing preflop. If we have good preparation for that, it would be not a problem.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

One other big factor is boredom, like watching paint dry watching timer bars expire. Can't take it.

[emoji6]

Are you open-raising all sorts of of hands (wide range), or are you open-raising very selectively (narrow range)?

If a wide range, then perhaps tighten up a bit and the preflop raised are an annoyance because you want to battle it out in many pots. It a narrow range, then be cautious with how nitty you become. Don't want to be folding strong preflop holdings too easily; in this case, don't forget about pot odds, implied odds and post-flop playability. Just because you hold KK and get raised preflop, that doesn't automatically mean you are up against AA. ;)

As for the boredom, I don't know if I can help with that. I'm personally way too busy to be bored :D I'm constantly looking for tells, betting patterns, planning my potential plays in advance, anticipating opponent actions, narrowing their hand range and a list of other things. Poker isn't boring to me :D

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not understand what the problem is. In any case, it all depends more on your decisions than on the decisions of your opponents. If other players play with junk, it does not mean that you also need to play each hand. :)

hunterws

hunterws

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you open-raising all sorts of of hands (wide range), or are you open-raising very selectively (narrow range)? Selective to a fault

If a wide range, then perhaps tighten up a bit and the preflop raised are an annoyance because you want to battle it out in many pots. Actually, It a narrow range, then be cautious with how nitty you become. Don't want to be folding strong preflop holdings too easily; in this case, don't forget about pot odds, implied odds and post-flop playability. Just because you hold KK and get raised preflop, that doesn't automatically mean you are up against AA. ;) I don't fold preflops in anticipation that I'm beat, I just want to play cards without undue pressure. If I've got ten/king .... I'd like to see what comes of it before putting money out. All too often, I fold as my stack is short, the flop comes and I would have had the nuts.

As for the boredom, I don't know if I can help with that. I'm personally way too busy to be bored :D I'm constantly looking for tells, betting patterns, planning my potential plays in advance, anticipating opponent actions, narrowing their hand range and a list of other things. Poker isn't boring to me :D I too am keeping an eye on players, planning and such, but it's the watching the timer bar roll down, then the next player, same thing. I've left tournaments due to impatience of people seemingly not paying attention, or annoying people by running the clock. There are some games out there that are so fast you don't have a chance to do that, and I think I need to find them *grin*

Thanks for posting ;)

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I view pre-flop as merely a decision about whether we want to pay to see a flop or not. How much we are willing to pay, is the question.

We need to bet to get players to fold so that we have reasonable equity at the flop. Others bet for the same reason. We cannot expect to be a favorite every hand before we invest. The flop tells us a lot about our hand because we now know 5/7's (72%) of our cards, rather than 2/7's (28%) of our cards pre-flop. We also know how many players are interested in this hand. This is a lot more information with which to make a decision now.

Some players may want to win or lose their hand pre-flop, and that is up to them. I prefer to make my big decisions post-flop.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Good luck and God bless.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like you just need to find a game speed which you are comfortable with. Patience is a key trait of a winning poker player. If you really can't sit still for even a few clock ticks, then maybe play a game with less players (like 6 max) or something.

The only other thing I'll mention is in response to these parts:

"If I've got ten/king....I'd like to see (1) what comes of it before putting money out. All to (2) often, I fold as my stack is short, the flop comes and (3) I would have had the nuts."

I broke it down into three sections I'd like to add to :)

1) Understandable you want to see if you "catch a little something-something" as Daniel Negreanu says. I just want to highlight the (perhaps obvious to some) fact that it is difficult to make a good hand in poker, so most of the time, that means you won't have a lot.

This means you'll have to occasionally be betting your draws or bluffing etc, or you won't be catching actual strong hands that often. On every single flop possible, statistically, you'll catch a piece of the flop about one third of the time. It becomes exploitable if you ONLY and ALWAYS bet if you have a solid hand and fold the rest. In this case, the opponent can profitably raise every time against you and just fold when you continue because more often than not, they'll get you to fold.

2) Perhaps look into some shorter stack play. Yes, this means shove-fold guidelines too, but here I was thinking slightly deeper. You don't want to be about 20 big blinds deep and invest 5+ blinds into a hand and then be forced to fold it. Losing 25%+ of your entire chip stack is almost never correct. You should always be considering what to do if the opponent shoves All-In. When shorter stacked (but not necessarily shove-fold), you ideally want to be even more selective about which hands to open-raise.

Hands with post-flop playability, but not so great preflop should be avoided, because you aren't likely to get to the River without being put to the decision of All-in or Fold. Hands like KJ or QTs are easy folds in these spots - whereas they may be playable deeper stacked.

3) You'll overcome this feeling with experience, but you can't judge a decision by if you would have hit the cards or not. You have to base the decisions off of the situation, math, strategy etc. and not by results.

Let us say we have JJ (pocket Jacks) UTG position and we get involved with an isolated pot with the BTN. Now for whatever reason, you know the opponent on the BTN has AA (pocket Aces). Perhaps you have a strong live read, some obvious tell, or perhaps they are showing you their hand face-up; what should we do with our hand?

Fold clearly. JJ is a strong preflop holding, but their higher pocket pair is roughly an 80% favorite against our holding. The "correct" decision is to fold. Simple. Assuming we knew their hand anyway. Poker is easy when you know what they have ;)

Now what if I switched it a bit? Same situation; you have JJ and they have AA, but now you know what the board runout will be! Who knows how you know (Vision? Intuition? Hopefully, the game isn't rigged), but you know. The Flop is going to give you Four of a Kind and a lock on the hand! Do you fold the JJ now?

The "correct" play is still a fold based on the information you have available at the time. The players are the same, the math is the same and the situation is the same. The only thing we don't know are what cards (board runout) are to come. If your cards were to hit or not doesn't matter, your bad decision could win, or your good decision could lose and that is how it is for everyone.

All you can do is make the most informed decisions you can with the information you have available at that time.

Hope this wasn't too long and hope it helps :)

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Patience is a key skill of a successful player. If you do not have enough patience, then most likely you will lose money. It doesn't matter how your opponents play, the main thing is how you play.

samersv

samersv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

[emoji6]

pre-flop raises are a very important element of the texas holdem game.Try other games if you don't like raises, pineapple for example.:)
GL!!!

A

AceOfJax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raising pre-flop is part of the game. It's actually the main aspect that creates skill over just dumb luck of playing only winning hands. Maybe try limit poker because there is a cap to raises.

As for being too impatient to wait for a timing bar. If you are too impatient for that then poker isn't for you. Patience is the name of the game.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
it is easy , if you have good hand go all-in and if you don't fold and try to play premium hands against that guy , eventually you will win :)

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Poker is a game of incomplete information with math involved , this means that every player who understands the game starts an analytical thought process based on his opponent's action preflop / flop / turn / river or based on preflop 3bets or based on the cbet sizings , the board texture, the type of the opponent, the phase of the tournament(if it is a MTT-SNG) and the list goes on.

This can't happen with many opponents participating in a single hand , it's way more difficult to use this analytic thought process with 2+ opponents that's why we open raise preflop or if we have a situation with an open raise and a flat many good players find good spots to squeeze behind in order to make multiple opponents fold and go post flop in a heads up spot.

What are you suggesting here? You want everyone to put 1 bb with any 2 hands and see a family pot and whoever has a made hand to bet? I guess all freerolls are like this and all play money games.

That wouldn't be viable in real game money where there are big prizes. For example if we are deep in a tournament and we are the chip leader then we have the biggest percentage of winning the 1st place biggest prize , we must apply pressure etc.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first thing to think about is not whether I hit the flop, but whether my opponent hit the flop. It depends on its spectra.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The more experience, the more self-confidence !!! I think it will pass with time and experience !!! The main thing is to always play according to your bankroll, and you will feel more confident !!!

Nochaser

Nochaser

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

[emoji6]

I got to a point where I was very agitated when someone would raise that I would start folding more hands. I begin studying pre-flop hands to play so that I could get more involved. We have to realize when some raise pre-flop they are only trying to push out the weaker hands if not all to win the pot. I also started seeing that some were raising with absolutely nothing and it was an eye-opener.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to see if the player who made you reraise is a good player or a bad player, you have to study your opponents at the table, there are also players who only want to intimidate you and make you believe that their hand is stronger than yours and some Sometimes they don't have good hands made pre-flop and only raise by re-raising and playing aggressive.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of pressure and bets, without raises and aggression, I think a lot will lose its meaning.:)

hunterws

hunterws

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zone poker at Bovada offers quick action and just tried it out.
It's a whole new game when you're not picking your nails and trying to stay calm lol ... was actually fun and profitable. Don't have a nice pair, fold. Next table.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Please clarify the situation that turns your ears red, for me.
If you are in the big blind and someone raises, that is expected frequently. You must then assess the value of your cards and decide whether or not it is worth seeing the flop.
If you raised first, before getting re-raised, from any position other than the big blind, you obviously had a decent starting hand that is in your range. Now you have to assess the opponent's intentions and history and decide whether or not you want to see the flop, or fold. Re-raising is also an option, to see if the opponent is trying to push you off your hand. Lots to consider and lots of math involved in your decision. Good luck with it.
As for patience - several others have said the same thing - stay focused or leave or quit poker. The game requires patience.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There are so many variations in poker that there is no problem finding what you like.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this game is about skill and I think one of the most important aspects when playing poker is to know how to start a good strategy from the preflop, we must study a lot the preflop game to not be exploitable and also make money in thousands of hands, so we must be well prepared, the game will not change, what we have to change is us to increase our profits.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

[emoji6]
It's all part of the game. If it bothers you that much, you might try something else. Or start raising pre-flop yourself.