Positive Poker=Improvement in other areas of life?

The Monkey

The Monkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Through the years I've heard people say that by playing certain games such as chess and poker, a person can gain positive skills and attributes to be used in other areas of life.

I'm just wondering is any of the readers of this forum can share any positive skills they have learned through the game that they have used in other areas of their life.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think poker is a great exercise for training patience and discipline. Through poker, I have become more patient and disciplined in real life.

The Monkey

The Monkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
I think poker is a great exercise for training patience and discipline. Through poker, I have become more patient and disciplined in real life.

I think there is a lot of Truth to that for me also. I don't really have the ability to focus on something for 4 to 5 hours at a time usually; when playing an MTT, you really have to if you want to do well. That skill will likely transfer to daily life.

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main thing that I gained by playing poker is stress resistance! Now, in any life situation, when something goes wrong, I always remain calm and restrained. Thank you poker!

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.

ditto! :)

Qixxox

Qixxox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best things against dementia, poker and vitamin B12! :)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Through the years I've heard people say that by playing certain games such as chess and poker, a person can gain positive skills and attributes to be used in other areas of life.

I'm just wondering is any of the readers of this forum can share any positive skills they have learned through the game that they have used in other areas of their life.

Patience, Focus, bankroll/Money Management, Emotional Control, Resilience, Willingness to take on Risk

And then all the other things I had to study to be able to perform better on the tables and play longer sessions: Yoga, Meditation, Healthy Eating, Supportive Relationships, Community... the list goes on and on.

I'm very thankful for all that poker has led me to, and I feel it's those who follow this path who can last and thrive in this world, while those who get stuck on just the gambling and money chasing have challenges ever rising out of that muck :vollkomme

Great question, thank you for posting!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I confirm this also. Better emotions control, faster and more accurate analyze of difficult situations, better time and money management. All of this came from poker. :)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Agree completely with all above posts!

For me personally; budgeting, patience, organisation and discipline have all been helped massively thanks to what poker has taught me.

Cardschat has also helped me greatly too!

U

Unbustable

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Improved social skills
Math skills
Intuition as well :)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Improved social skills
Math skills
Intuition as well :)

Very good point- I forgot this one!!

Can do mental arithmetic instantly now which four years ago would have required pen & paper or a calculator... LOL

THANKS AGAIN POKER! :love:

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These skills are everywhere. It’s just that a certain moment comes, and you understand how everything is interconnected in our life, and poker is a reflection of reality.