Poker & Work

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even the great Phil Ivey { largely considered the best poker player on earth] Finally went thru a run of bad luck in poker in 2015, and lost millions { of course he still has a huge bankroll and could always borrow money if he ever bsuted, which I doubt would happen } . And if his bad luck continues for 2016-2017..etc...he will probably lose millions more in poker. Just more proof of the power of good and bad luck, in any form of gambling.

Phil Ivey's problem is that he's going broke on prop bets and other non-poker related gambling.

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if thats the case, and if u have the weekend to yourself, if u r not at work during the weekend, i suggest in stead of going out and party friday night u get a good night sleep, and on saturday when all the good tourneys are, u play your asss off :D
Its hard to play poker when u r tired, u r bound to play bad, and in long term thats a disaster w8ing to happen, so get some rest, and play your asss off during the weekends

pinkpanther

pinkpanther

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a hobby for me, not a job.I play every evening and help me relax

N

nyolcas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This question is more pointed towards the people that is NOT making a living out of poker, and are working.

I'm working a fulltime job myself, and I tend to get REALLY tired after work.. but I really want to play poker, but I tend to maybe play a bit poorly.. what's your thoughts and how do you cope with it?

I am in similar situation. The first and most important thing is your actual job. This is what actually gives you a secure income on monthly basis. I'm not happy with that but sometimes I have to leave the poker for several days or more than one week because my job. If you are not a pro this should be normal, and you have to deal with it.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just have to work at finding the optimum time for your play. This may mean trying some things when you get home from your job, like take a shower, have a snack, take a 20 minute nap - experiment to see what works for you.

I used to play while I was at work - after about a year of that I looked at my chart and discovered it was not worth it - too many distractions and I was barely breaking even. I now only play online at home.

Mr Alvim

Mr Alvim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently got a job and I'm playing poker and studying most of the day, but when I worked I came home tired and played anyway , playing calmly without taking terrified decisions.

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is my hobby after work.

A

arenk22

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me poker after work is a good way to wind down from the day. have a beer or two and relax.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I am a College professor so I play while grading, reviewing papers from students. If you are tired is not a good idea to play for money. :deal:

Bassaliga

Bassaliga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many people have many opinions. For me, work, and poker is a great addition. Sometimes after work, a wonderful holiday and as a way zarobotat extra money. Fall in love, I believe that the case giving little time poker impossible is achieved good results, since so many people want to zarobotat and how you can spend less time on professional development or energy-costs.

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a College professor so I play while grading, reviewing papers from students. If you are tired is not a good idea to play for money. :deal:

That's pretty badass. There's a winning blackjack player (card counter) at my university who is a professor in the mathematics department. I've always looked up to academics who can profit through +EV gambling. It's like being a professional gambler, but with classiness and intelligence, rather than degeneracy, drugs and hookers (the stereotype).

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we can not play and work at the same time
the best thing to do in these situations would play when it is not working
so will give more attention to poker

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
really difficult to play well , I think if you want to progress need unique time for the game as you can play on weekdays you should play it on your days off

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTTs are tough on work days! Am I sitting down for 15 minutes or 8 hours???? FYI Fridays and Saturdays are great days to play with the weekend fishes.

I

I2jr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes the day is hard for work, tiring exhausting, but more than anything very unpromising since my work refers to being constantly with people, and at the end of the work day I meet in poker but I like a great deal That clears me and I am having a lot of fun that makes my head forget the bad day I had to work, no matter if I lose or win playing but I find tranquility over my day if I win even better, I particularly like my own opinion I do not recommend playing if it is not Concentrated because he had made many mistakes but if it is for fun and clear up do it

kara260588

kara260588

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
day goes something like this to 9 am you have to be at work, if you are lucky then at 7 pm at home (can not get lucky, and the working day). At about 11 pm I start playing (mostly tournaments), if not lucky in the game, then go to bed early. But if the game is successful and can watch until 5 am to sit. Sometimes I arrange a day off.:pcguru::saint:

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm sitting at home in retirement, and so I have a lot of spare time. So I decided to play poker

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good option it's a very good time killer :) I'm much the same but #DaddyDayCareDuties

5hrs + to get in the money !! And make the dinner
I'm sitting at home in retirement, and so I have a lot of spare time. So I decided to play poker

I

I2jr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens to me now that I have more time because I am on leave at work for an accident that I had, I can play longer than before, except the days of study, but I think poker and work is a tremor when you can not play if One likes very much, but also helps to decompress the working day

Zokac71

Zokac71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, I sometimes work on a play that poker game ...... To me relax a little and forget the job at this point because my job is stressful