Poker warm-ups?

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a sport of the mind, shouldn’t we warm up first? Haha(really though)
Not sure what this would look like in reality, I know that I used to play a micro tournament before a big tournament, and purposely play loose and chase way more hands than I should. If usually bust out and get it out of my system.
What do y’all think?
Poker warmups? Or lame??? [emoji38]

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No warm ups necessary just go to play with a clear mind.

Infinity Objective

Infinity Objective

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try rewinding back from your best finishes and see what works. No answer here is right or wrong, even maybes work. It depends on the individual, time, schedule, circumstances of the day. Personally if you start early enough a warm-up game sounds good, just don't start what you can't finish.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually listen to poker podcast or YouTube on poker strats on way to tourney to prepare - just gets me in the mood

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this isn't out of the question. I think since you should have as little possible distractions while playing, It might be a good idea to relax for 10 min or so and clear the mind. I dont think a warm up would include things like poker study of any sorts since warming up is only ment to prepare the body for the activity ahead.

I like your idea of playing a smaller game before hand... but I would rather find a super turbo and play the way you normally play rather then playing more aggressive.

Good Luck!

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Imagine that on the warm up, for some reason, there's something you tilt a little, or that gives you doubt or stress. It will not give any help for the next game.
Go direct to the big one, completely relaxed.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
going str8 to the game works best for me. I have tried some other stuff and it would make me tilt very easy, trying to warm up doesn't help much to me!

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think it does not make any sense.
I always try to play as best and avoid mistakes. In my opinion, every player must always adhere to his own rules and strategy, in order to get a positive result. Therefore, such warm-up before the game does not make sense.
Good luck.

A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch some twitch streams and read strategy tips, that's all the warm up I ever need!

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usuually try and think about how i want to play, keeping it where i want to be and not getting tilted

Statsman1

Statsman1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't have any habits or routines, but I ALWAYS say to the universe,"Please don't give me KK on my first hand." and then let the rest of the game just happen after that.

If I don't have to sweat playing KK on the first hand I find the rest of the game goes pretty smoothly.

Last edited:
W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a good strategy is much more important than a warm up, because you are already at the start playing well. To warm up the music or sports programs will work cool

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know people who like to play a SnG before a tournament. Rather just crawl out of bed and get to the table.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To play before the main tournament, not bad, but then you get tired mostly...

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a good idea to warm up before a big tourney with micros or lows. Who knows, you might even beat the micro/low tourney and bust out of the big one.

A

Ant467

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I am in front of the main tournament, I try not to play at all that would not get tired during

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing poker is better to be relaxed and focused, everyone has their own approach to the game.

P

paulw

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have just started a long new learning curve, its with a GTO trainer, at the momment I have it set at (hero BB) v BTN in a 3bet pot with flopzilla opened at villans set range of 25.5%,

The cool thing about having flopzilla opened is, as I am playing I am learning how his cards, and my cards, hit his range on each flop, this for me is a fun way do do study, and for once I have found poker study work that I really enjoy doing, so yes before a game I can have as long or as little as I like to warm up just seeing how hands are hitting flops.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it's needed. Even though poker is considered as a sport it's more like of a mental sport. You can clear your mind and play on a good mood and I think it's best warm-up you can do.