Poker Under the Influence

H

helenag

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does weed and alcohol affect your poker playing? Some say they make them play better and others say it makes them play worse.

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Can Only Speak To The Latter...

For me, it is just like in golf, having a few brewskies tends to help me, have to find the sweet spot!

Once you get over a certain point, things tend to go downhill.

I can totally appreciate that this may differ on an individual basis... just speaking for myself.

Best of Luck at The Tables All,

CheezeWiz

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never play drunk if you want to wake up with money left :D. I like to smoke a bowl or 2 before I play though.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
from moderately loose to loose aggressive under influence

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I believe that alcohol and poker are incompatible things. Under the influence of alcohol, the player loses concentration and control over emotions, and this usually leads to loss of bankroll.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play under the influence as I think it's a fairly well established fact that it inhibits our decision making. I think it's possible it could make some players better though as it's likely to make people looser and more aggressive which can be a good thing for some people.

While I don't think weed/alcohol is a good idea for your winrate, a lot of us play primarily for the fun of the game rather than the money, and no doubt they can make it more fun!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't smoke but regarding alcohol everything over one beer have negative effect on my game.

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
For me, it is just like in golf, having a few brewskies tends to help me, have to find the sweet spot!

Once you get over a certain point, things tend to go downhill.

I can totally appreciate that this may differ on an individual basis... just speaking for myself.

CheezeWiz
Exactly the same for me. If I drink one bottle of beer it helps for my game but if I drink more than that I start loosing. It means everything should be limited.:D

GabaGabaHey

GabaGabaHey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly the same for me. If I drink one bottle of beer it helps for my game but if I drink more than that I start loosing. It means everything should be limited.:D

Me too, and more than one bottle usually means I have to take off to the washroom at an inopportune time. I can guarantee that it's when I'll be dealt AA.:D

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Usually, I prefer coffee and that's enough for me. I think that players, under the influence of alcohol, do not analyze the game well and make more mistakes. Therefore, players who prefer coffee have an advantage over drunken opponents. :D

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have enough tea or coffee when playing.
And alcohol can be consumed after)

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never play drunk, only drink water when i play.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i do not use nicotine and cannabis, but i really like whiskey and cola with poker

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Certainly Do Not Disagree with Your Comments

Usually, I prefer coffee and that's enough for me. I think that players, under the influence of alcohol, do not analyze the game well and make more mistakes. Therefore, players who prefer coffee have an advantage over drunken opponents. :D

However, there is a distinction between playing drunk and playing while having a few beers... for me anyway...

My typical situation is that I have worked a 10 hour mentally draining and coffee filled day. At this point I am pretty much mentally not suited to do much of anything. Enter in a couple beers and an hour or two of decompressing... now I am ready to play poker! It is almost as if it takes me back to when I was hitting on all cylinders mentally about mid-morning. I am not sure my doctor would approve of this approach, but it seems to work for me, for now... fingers crossed!

CheezeWiz

Last edited:
Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Alcohol cannot positively affect the game in the long run. Obviously, regular alcohol consumption will lead to problems. I do not drink alcohol, and I do not recommend drinking it to anyone else. I believe that alcohol is evil.
Good luck.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
It is clear that alcohol affects all people ... some lose their minds and others become more emotional, others more distracted ... etc ... and others relax more ... so each individual must evaluate whether When you play poker and consume alcohol, are your results better or worse?

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I drink alcohol and play poker, I become more aggressive and the outcome of the game depends more on chance than on experience.:)

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It makes playing worse 99%

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on what your natural state is,like if your aggressive,weed will calm you down,,,but alcohol will send you over the top,,(been there) :cool: i like a few pulls from a joint before playing to relax me. :canabis:

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
However, there is a distinction between playing drunk and playing while having a few beers... for me anyway...

My typical situation is that I have worked a 10 hour mentally draining and coffee filled day. At this point I am pretty much mentally not suited to do much of anything. Enter in a couple beers and an hour or two of decompressing... now I am ready to play poker! It is almost as if it takes me back to when I was hitting on all cylinders mentally about mid-morning. I am not sure my doctor would approve of this approach, but it seems to work for me, for now... fingers crossed!

CheezeWiz

In any case, if thanks to beer, your results improve, then you really should drink beer. :D

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alcohol at poker

Perhaps, several times I played like this with friends for entertainment for small amounts, but, unfortunately, this did not lead to winnings.
But we had a great and fun time.

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried to play under alcohol and weed, I will say one thing - it did not lead to anything good. The game starts completely differently, tilt is always somewhere nearby in this case. So you better play sober guys.:)

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alcohol I don't think can help, it depends on how much alcohol the person use. What helps the most is to learn poker than small tips can make the difference, only then.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a rule, I do not drink while playing poker, I am a casual drinker anyway so no big deal. I will drink while playing at home with friends(most of them suck) just to make it easier to play. If I do not make it a social event, there playing gets me so frustrated I have to have a drink and tell my self who cares. I do have bigger games with pretty good players with big egos. With them maybe 1 or 2 drinks just to set the mood.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play under the influence of alcohol, you will make emotional decisions at the poker table. You will play more aggressive or looser because you will not analyze the hands well as it should be and you will lose control.