Poker Taught Me - Life is a Practice

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Poker practiced well becomes a rewarding (flow) experience.

It is a practice somebody can get good at and the results can confirm or deny one's progress (forget about variance, just think long term results/understanding probability and knowing you are playing very well).

Once this practice of poker is "under control" or self-controlling, it opens up the window to trust your own skills and start becoming creative with your practice.

This area is true joy/innovation/collaboration/fun!

When you take the broader scope and apply this "practice" outside the limits of the game of poker, you begin to see that all of life can be a practice.

Poker can show us where our biggest faults are, and we can fix these leaks in our game and in our lives. :)

<3

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
For example:

If you are likely to go on tilt after a "bad beat" you could benefit by working on your own anger. Or you can study probability/quantum physics to understand the folly in overreacting to one occurance.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Total posts
Of course, poker is a game that can be very useful. Poker is an ideal tool for developing patience and discipline. I have been playing poker for about 4 years now and I can say with confidence that thanks to poker I have become more disciplined and patient in my personal life.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Total posts

It is a practice somebody can get good at and the results can confirm or deny one's progress (forget about variance, just think long term results/understanding probability and knowing you are playing very well).

Once this practice of poker is "under control" or self-controlling, it opens up the window to trust your own skills and start becoming creative with your practice.

When you take the broader scope and apply this "practice" outside the limits of the game of poker, you begin to see that all of life can be a practice.

Poker can show us where our biggest faults are, and we can fix these leaks in our game and in our lives. :)

<3
Good day! I think that poker can only be useful as a discipline in everyday life, and nothing else! They say that chess develops the mind, but I do not agree with this, I think that the ability to play chess develops simply the ability to play chess, otherwise all chess champions could understand quantum physics or could invent something new, but they can just play chess! But this is my personal opinion and do not judge me harshly!

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Total posts
Awards
I understand what you're saying. Poker is without a doubt a game that teaches you a lot in your daily life. Above all, it teaches you a fundamental aspect of life such as being patient. You learn to control your impulses and you learn to know that life will not always bring you what you want but with a bit of luck there are days when everything can turn out well for you. Regards.

Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Total posts
Poker is a mind , a personality builder, a life style changing game. I have learned a lot from poker, to be patient, to be courageous and to never trust people even if they seem serious lol

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
I understand what you're saying. Poker is without a doubt a game that teaches you a lot in your daily life. Above all, it teaches you a fundamental aspect of life such as being patient. You learn to control your impulses and you learn to know that life will not always bring you what you want but with a bit of luck there are days when everything can turn out well for you. Regards.

Yes!

It also teaches you that they key to success is constant self analysis and self improvement. :)

C

COMIRRR

Legend
Total posts
Awards
This game makes you mature in your thinking when you make decisions in everyday life, as if you don't move forward with your head forward in any project until you better analyze what can happen, I see that in me ...

A

aviatorsam

Rock Star
Total posts
I think everything is better with pracctice! poker is no exception!

77ecos

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
poker made me very disciplined and patient, controlling my emotions has been very good for me and I did that with poker, it was not overnight but it was nice to get to that point:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Took your post to mean how anything worthy of acquiring is a habit & Poker enforces that perspective as brm, game selection & the game are all products of habit, if you're a winning player :)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Took your post to mean how anything worthy of acquiring is a habit & Poker enforces that perspective as brm, game selection & the game are all products of habit, if you're a winning player :)

Right on!

messats

messats

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
LC

<3

Poker truely is rewarding, ian testify to the fact that it teaches you patience, and also learn how to control anxiety or being on tilt lol

J

jetoukatli

Rising Star
Total posts
I share what you say, everything is a matter of practice in life, nobody is born knowing everything and whoever tries again and again in something is that they achieve optimal results and poker like life is a matter of practice and dedication