Poker taught me...

D

DaHawk

Rock Star
Total posts
There is often a correlation between the rules we live by in life and the rules we play by in poker. What are some of the lessons you've learned in poker that you've applied to your life?

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Total posts
:rolleyes:Poker taught me to think before making a choice, more patient this poker taught me, I'm still learning and I have a lot to learn because I'm not perfect.:eek:

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Total posts
the patience to analyze and think calmly before making a decision, which in life has been like taking calculated risks, poker has been a game of decisions as in life itself.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Total posts
I have been able to spot deception and misinformation. Likewise I have been able to see the truth too. Before, I don't know if I would have been able to rely the differences.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Actually look at people. Pay attention to not only how they're feeling, but whether they're being natural or trying to project an image. Started playing poker when I was 14 (well over 30+ years ago) and haven't fallen for a fast talking scam artist since.

C

Cooking

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Poker taught me that patience is very important (and also in real life) and that without discipline you're never going to have success.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Life is a game of incomplete information just as poker.

We not only need to make rational decisions in poker when we use the math to find odds, EV and so on, as we also need to be in tune with our emotional state at the felt cause we simply might loose money at it if we don't. And loosing money is painful. Heck, loosing is painful in life and at the game.

Not only that, we end up building a sort of an intuition from mixing these skills needed at the game and also in life.

So to me, poker has taught me to be at my best fit, to be sharp, so I can make the best decision at the felt and life.

Poker made me want to healthier mentally and physically.

A

AceOfJax

Enthusiast
Total posts
Lessons I've learned are the ability to read people in daily life. Also it has taught me a great deal of patience and acceptance.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Total posts
Awards
UA
Hi.
Patience.
Poker has taught me to be patient and make informed decisions. Apparently patience is the foundation for success in our lives.
Good luck.

najisami

najisami

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
There is often a correlation between the rules we live by in life and the rules we play by in poker. What are some of the lessons you've learned in poker that you've applied to your life?

Poker and life in general are very similar in many aspects. We can learn some skills in life and apply them in poker and vice versa. Among those, I can mention patience, perseverance, focus, discipline and many others. But one lesson I learned in poker and somewhat got positively re-enforced in my life is "To never take ANYTHING for granted".

10gerka

10gerka

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
poker taught me that I must make the best decisions every day so that in the future the results that one wants are reflected, you have to have patience and a lot of discipline, it is not easy, but with effort the objectives will be achieved, we must always keep in mind that poker is more than just a game.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Total posts
Poker is a game of life it taught me many things. Perserverance, mental toughness, discipline, being stoic. It also taught me to always be humble. Expect the unexpected, never give up when you're down. Never get excited and set yourself up for disappointment. Always choose your battles wisely and always be careful of what you wish for cause you just might get it.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Total posts
Awards
US
Has opened the door to new lines of thought. Also has brought insight into what others might be thinking about when they play their hands. As for more still learning the finer points of poker like being able to apply a tight game plan for poker.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
I've been playing poker for about 11 years. Thanks to this wonderful game, I learned to stay focused for a long time, and I became more disciplined and consistent.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Things that I've learned from poker that apply to life.

Be patient and humble.
Know how to truly judge myself to be as good as I am, and not as good as I think I am. {A "B" level break even player.}
The best lesson that I've learned is not to get involved in things that I don't have the skillset or money it takes to do it right.
There are people out there that are idiots and that's ok. "He didn't know that He didn't know."