S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
robwhufc said:
Presumably, by following your previous line of logic you would consider these tests a sport? Poker is a game not a sport. I don't see how that isn't a simple statement of fact not opinion??!?!?

no, i would not consider the tests a sport because they do not fit the three pronged def. of Exertion, competative, and following a set of rules and/or customs. It is certainly mentally exhausting, but the test itself is not a competition (never heard of competative test taking) and while there are rules (no cheating) I wouldn't call them a "set of rules" for taking the test... so no...taking those tests aren't sports. But Chess, poker, Scrabble....all of these are mentally exerting, competative, and have a set of rules and/or customs that they follow...they are sports by definition.

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder if to some degree poker players might be predisposed to believing that poker is a sport, insofar as this might elevate its status? I'm concerned that we're debating two separate things here, where some are just curious as to whether poker is a sport or a game but thinking that these are equivalent but different, versus others who are thinking a sport is more important than a game, so I want poker to be a sport...

This just seems to be a really passionate debate and I wonder if this is why.

Top 10 Games