Poker or Soccer

D

dejavupkns21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer poker

I prefer poker but i also bet on soccer in long betting options in such who will be the first scorer or who will take the Premier League.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Same here I watch world cup or my national team but if I had to choose 99% will be poker

J

jason2626

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a fan of soccer so it isn't fare I say poker over all sports except American football

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

I enjoy watching poker for a number of reasons. Learning is 1. Always curious on how a pro will play a certain situation. An example such as preflop bet or raise JJ, and what he/she does with a flop like Q-9-6 rainbow. Of course if they have played long enough at a table to get reads/tells on opponents that would make a difference.
Soccer-No

PeLLeTTi

PeLLeTTi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker for sure. But soccer is wonderful and I love it!

Rocky87345

Rocky87345

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker if im playing it and it's for money it's more exciting than betting on a soccer match and watching it live. If I'm watching on tv with no money at stake I'd rather watch soccer than poker. Poker is more boring to just watch other people play. I only like watching soccer when it's the FIFA world cup. No other soccer games interest me enough to make me want to watch them being played

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I choose poker. Not athletic to be a soccer player.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like both of them but I will choose poker if I have to choose one.

C

CapdeCraniu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biochemistry of practicing poker vs football (or any other team sports)

While in regards to watching them as a spectator, it seems a matter of preferences, when it comes to practicing them, the answer is clear since our biochemicals don't lie.

Here are some facts:
- Four hormones are responsible for our happiness, when in balance: dopamine, endorphin, serotonin and oxytocin.
- Endorphins are being generated when we run, workout, or do any kind of physical effort. They mask the pain. (until you run out of it: That's why when you laugh for too long, at some point your abdomen starts to hurt)
- Serotonin, aka the leadership hormone, is released when we give/receive praise and credits.
- Oxytocin, aka the love hormone, is being generated when we are empathic, when taking care of someone in need, or when we hug, or kiss with affection, also when we pet an animal or simply when we fist bump, high five or just give a handshake.
- Dopamine, aka the motivational hormone, is released when we achieve goals or reach milestones, yet also when we eat, drink, do drugs, alcohol, gamble, play video games or use social media platforms, or a smartphone :).
- Dopamine is highly addictive and can break the balance of all 4 hormones.
- Scientists have discovered that the best sports that could make one's happy are team sports. Makes sense if we think about it. We get endorphins when we run, dopamine when we achieve small/big goals during the game (reaching ball, passing good, scoring, etc), we get serotonin when we give/receive credits and praise, and oxytocin when we fist bump, high five, group hug, etc.

Poker vs. Football:
- Practicing poker will give us plenty of dopamine and we really enjoy it. (do it cautions, not to cause any unbalance)
- Practicing football will give us all 4 hormones, in a balanced manner.

My personal conclusion:
I like playing poker, but I love playing football!

P.S. Bonus hormone: cortisol. (not directly linked to happiness, but very needed for our safety)
- Cortisol aka the stress hormone is responsible with our survival and engages our primal instincts. Cortisol and noradrenaline can save our life in dangerous situations but they come at a cost: affects the immune system, therefore it should not stay in our body for too long.

P.S.2. Oxytocin inhibits the production of excessive dopamine. So when facing hard times, the healthy coping mechanism is to go for human interactions rather than seeking help in a bottle or other drugs.

If you've reached this far, you are AWESOME! Thank you! Really!
Feels good, right? Enjoy the boosts of dopamine and serotonin you now have. :)

Last edited:
Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No problem. I would play poker watching a match. I do this quite often.

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I have 4 screens in my living room , so I play poker on the big screen , watch sports on another and surf the net on a third screen or my phone. I guess it's called multitasking. It depends on how many poker tables I play at the same time.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would choose poker in that scenario. But if the choice is between watching poker game or watching a soccer game, I'd 100% pick soccer. I don't have patience to watch how every poker player takes a minute to make a decision on the table.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker for sure .soccer can watch it another time

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

It used to be football, now it's just poker. I became too old for active sports.

funnyhook3

funnyhook3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker or football what? they are completely different games, how can they be compared? board game and sports ...... no comment

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two of the most favorite sports. :)

Ragonesi

Ragonesi

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play poker watching soccer so yeah, both 100%

Papadejro

Papadejro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never liked Football (soccer you 'murricans :p ) so from those 2 I would chose poker.

TirariAchref

TirariAchref

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
Both of them will take all your money. So just play poker to entertain yourself.

H

HeiligerKevin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By playing football I earn money, by playing poker I lose it again. It's all in balance.