Poker path from hobby to work

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Recently, I began to think about changing the status of poker in my life from hobby to work (strange for 2019:)). In this regard, the question arose. Now I play poker by mood (usually every day, but there are long breaks), if I leave work and play for 6-12 hours every day, how will my attitude to poker change. Interested in the opinion of those made this choice.

naydanazar

naydanazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently, I began to think about changing the status of poker in my life from hobby to work (strange for 2019:)). In this regard, the question arose. Now I play poker by mood (usually every day, but there are long breaks), if I leave work and play for 6-12 hours every day, how will my attitude to poker change. Interested in the opinion of those made this choice.

If you work on it and achieve success, but your work does not bring pleasure and money, then I would advise you to quit):alien:

FlamengoBR

FlamengoBR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker will not make you rich.Don't give up your work.Play poker for fun.I think that only live games can make you rich.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you work on it and achieve success, but your work does not bring pleasure and money, then I would advise you to quit):alien:
Unfortunately, rarely anyone work brings pleasure:mad:. Slightly afraid that the game of poker will turn into an everyday routine and this will certainly affect the result.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
We all have the dream, few can achieve it.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker will not make you rich.Don't give up your work.Play poker for fun.I think that only live games can make you rich.
Thank you for your opinion. Why do you think that only live games can make me rich?;)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Poker is a hobby for me and I always enjoy the game. I play poker almost every evening after work. Sometimes, I can take a break, after which I continue to play again.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Thanks to poker, I have become more patient in real life and it really helps me. For me, poker is a hobby that sometimes brings profit to me. Good luck.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing online as your sole income is hard going and requires a lot of work. You go from cashes being a bonus to needing cashes to pay the bills and with that comes more pressure on your game. Hitting a downswing becomes more stressful as your not making money. So you really need to consider you financial circumstances before making the switch. While I was a staked player I took 2 weeks of work to see if I could feasibly make enough to go full time. I found I could easily make enough to live on but found the amount of playing time too much. Once my mortgage is paid however I'll be making the switch as I wont need to make as much a month and in a downswing my wifes wages would cover the bills. In the meantime it's all about building up the bankroll.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing online as your sole income is hard going and requires a lot of work. You go from cashes being a bonus to needing cashes to pay the bills and with that comes more pressure on your game. Hitting a downswing becomes more stressful as your not making money. So you really need to consider you financial circumstances before making the switch. While I was a staked player I took 2 weeks of work to see if I could feasibly make enough to go full time. I found I could easily make enough to live on but found the amount of playing time too much. Once my mortgage is paid however I'll be making the switch as I wont need to make as much a month and in a downswing my wifes wages would cover the bills. In the meantime it's all about building up the bankroll.
Thanks for the answer. The financial side of the issue is very important, but I am more concerned that the changes in attitude towards poker as a job. Whether poker will become a must-have everyday routine and where to take the motivation to play every day. Money for me has always been a weak motivator.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the answer. The financial side of the issue is very important, but I am more concerned that the changes in attitude towards poker as a job. Whether poker will become a must-have everyday routine and where to take the motivation to play every day. Money for me has always been a weak motivator.

Study becomes much more important and with more play comes more study. You need to be really self motivated to turn the PC on every day to play, schedule your days off and stick to the schedule. It can be difficult to turn on to play when the previous session has been disappointing. You will however through increased playing and study see an improvement in your game. If you don't enjoy the studying I'd say stick to the day job as if you don't enjoy it you start to skip or shorten it and can ultimately harm your profit. I wish you every success if you decide to take the plunge.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Relying on poker for a living is a type of hell.

K

Kreboleb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As is see on the previous posts nobody lives from online poker here....? Or everyone is saying to stay away from poker as a work because you had experience in it?

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did a bankroll challenge some years back that ran for three months with a one month qualifier on a Merge site. Pretty much played every minute available besides work and sleep. After it was over, I knew then this would just be a hobby. Towards the end of the challenge, it was frustrating to stay focused and compete to stay in the top 5.

It would be hard for me to hit a bout of variance with bills due and seeing the bankroll drop. Playing live, I'm critical on when the choice to play is. Looking for the right frame of mind and being well rested. Cards are something that are enjoyable to play. Pretty sure it would change for me, going from hobby to work.

If you do decide to transition, could you keep us updated on the progress? Most people like my self have thought about this subject. Be nice to follow the success you have. Good luck, wish you the very best at the tables.

Last edited:
maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems a beneficial change to exploit the full potential of your game.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, poker is a profit. I play 10 years, therefore, I have already learned not to spend money, but to get a profit from the game.

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
And I've thought about the same but still not earn income from poker as my salary ... I hope this will happen soon and I know I can stane.Imam friends who live just poker but you really have to have very good skills and you need hard work ... and to be honest I do not have much time as I and family ... however go into nocturnal adventures:dancing2:

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did a bankroll challenge some years back that ran for three months with a one month qualifier on a Merge site. Pretty much played every minute available besides work and sleep. After it was over, I knew then this would just be a hobby. Towards the end of the challenge, it was frustrating to stay focused and compete to stay in the top 5.

It would be hard for me to hit a bout of variance with bills due and seeing the bankroll drop. Playing live, I'm critical on when the choice to play is. Looking for the right frame of mind and being well rested. Cards are something that are enjoyable to play. Pretty sure it would change for me, going from hobby to work.

If you do decide to transition, could you keep us updated on the progress? Most people like my self have thought about this subject. Be nice to follow the success you have. Good luck, wish you the very best at the tables.
I'll keep you informed. For me, this is a very serious choice. I really do not want to make a mistake.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, poker is a profit. I play 10 years, therefore, I have already learned not to spend money, but to get a profit from the game.
Share how poker became your main income? And how do you find the motivation to play every day?:idea:

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After much deliberation, I decided to postpone leaving work for a couple of months. In May I go on vacation for two months. One month I plan to rest on the sea, the second I fully plan to give poker (10-12 hours a day). Thank you all for the advice;). Successes at the table and in life.

B

benmckenzie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Rakes

I'm not really new to being a poker dealer. The question I have is what are rakes and how much are the rakes and when do i take them?

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have changed status of poker from hobby to less important thing in my life

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is a hobby for me. So far, I am not profiting from the game, but I am sure that with the experience I will be able to make a profit.