Poker once a week

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well we will see if I can stick to it. Has anyone ever tried this before? Playing poker one day a week?

I have been fairly addicted to poker for 5 years now. I have never played on a schedule like this before. It will be very hard for me to not play more days.

Why?
Well, with respect to those who want to devote a large amount of their life to poker, I don't think that is for me. I love the game, but not enough to spend the majority of my time playing it. I think even if I somehow magically became a pro level player, I would not want to spend the majority of my time playing poker. May sound crazy but it is my life and I have other priorities. For example I helped care for my disabled sister for 12 years.

How?
I am planning to pick a day probably early each week to be the day I allow myself to play poker. Then if I have something come up on that day and I don't end up playing, I can pick another day later in the week, but only one day Monday to Sunday. I am not allowed to stock up on days.

Question:
Has anyone ever tried to limit their poker playing. Even if you went down from 80 hours a week to 60 hours a week I am sure your advice would be helpful. How did it go? What are you doing now in terms of play time? What worked or didn't work?

Following:
If you want to follow my progress with this plan and with my bank roll check back on this thread. My bankroll is $20.24 as of today.

Part of the reason I am doing this is to find out if I am currently a winning player. I have played for 5 years, but usually I don't prioritize a tournament. Even if I am winning, I sometimes stop and don't finish to do something else. By picking one day, I plan to prioritize poker more that day and see if I start finishing better in tournies.

Final Question:
Do you wish you could play more poker, less poker or the same amount of poker and why?

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker when I have free time. I am convinced that practical knowledge is more important than theoretical knowledge. So in my opinion, a player who wants to succeed should play at least 5 days a week. Therefore, I think it's a bad idea to limit yourself and play only one day a week.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow 80 hours of play per week is too much. Normal business week is 40 hours so to squeeze 80 hours of play in one week means to play practically constantly. Even if you are pro player it looks too much to me. For recreational players i think that key is the balance. Best is to play in your free time and also balance with you other hobbies. I don't think that there is reason to limit your self in just one day. There is no difference if you play 2 days in the evening for 3 hours or play one 6 hour session in one day for example. I personally rarely find time for poker during weekends because usually i spend them with my friends. Due to this i play in the evenings in business days after i come back from work and have some kind of loose schedule including one or two evenings of poker play, at least one evening of sport and the rest is again spent for beer with friends and colleagues. :)

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A very original idea. I think, if you are persistent and patient enough, you will be able to succeed in about 120-150 years. :D

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If sb feels tired , has many losses and wants to reorganise/replan his game and strategy , study a lot , if he has a lotof work or other activities demanding time , many worries/anxiousness/sadness in a period of life for some reasons , for other reason , better take a break or play once /twice a week only as you say . I have done it , playing once or twice a week , for the reasons I explained earlier not a bad idea at all . Or else , keep on grinding !!!! :)

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I do not have a time strategy for the game of poker and it would be very difficult for me to choose a time frame to play. I like to play poker, I am not addicted and I play only when time allows me between work and family.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Unfortunately, I usually do not have enough time to play. I would like to play more, but I only play 3-4 days a week after work when I have free time.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
it is not difficult it is only to schedule a time to play and you will see that it is not difficult for difficult since in my opinion poker is not an addiction

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing for almost 10 years, almost daily, and it doesn’t bother me at all! For me it’s a hobby, a favorite pastime. Besides poker, I have other hobbies.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm trying to cut back too. Not just one day a week, but more like just playing League games and some CC freerolls.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to work 2/2 and play poker

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty much for me is about twice a month. Those are normally short table SnG for about 45 minutes. Been log time since there has been an MTT that was played.

Got little burnt out with a league I played in for about 5 years. There was a Saturday and Sunday tournament that ran abut 4 months and then took a couple months off. Found myself looking forward to the end of those sessions. It changed days and format, then closed the site. Never really got back into the swing of poker after that.

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well we will see if I can stick to it. Has anyone ever tried this before? Playing poker one day a week?

I have been fairly addicted to poker for 5 years now. I have never played on a schedule like this before. It will be very hard for me to not play more days.

Why?
Well, with respect to those who want to devote a large amount of their life to poker, I don't think that is for me. I love the game, but not enough to spend the majority of my time playing it. I think even if I somehow magically became a pro level player, I would not want to spend the majority of my time playing poker. May sound crazy but it is my life and I have other priorities. For example I helped care for my disabled sister for 12 years.

How?
I am planning to pick a day probably early each week to be the day I allow myself to play poker. Then if I have something come up on that day and I don't end up playing, I can pick another day later in the week, but only one day Monday to Sunday. I am not allowed to stock up on days.

Question:
Has anyone ever tried to limit their poker playing. Even if you went down from 80 hours a week to 60 hours a week I am sure your advice would be helpful. How did it go? What are you doing now in terms of play time? What worked or didn't work?

Following:
If you want to follow my progress with this plan and with my bank roll check back on this thread. My bankroll is $20.24 as of today.

Part of the reason I am doing this is to find out if I am currently a winning player. I have played for 5 years, but usually I don't prioritize a tournament. Even if I am winning, I sometimes stop and don't finish to do something else. By picking one day, I plan to prioritize poker more that day and see if I start finishing better in tournies.

Final Question:
Do you wish you could play more poker, less poker or the same amount of poker and why?

hats off to you. for analyzing your situation and approaching it with honesty. also, being a caregiver is super tough mentally and emotionally, which can effect you physically. i wish you all the best

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few years ago I thought of playing professionally in poker, but changed my mind poker very often became just a routine.:eek: Now I often play spin tournaments in the morning, I convince myself that this is an excellent exercise for the brain.:D