Poker Necessities?

T

ThatGuyScott

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

New to cardschat, but I've been playing for a while.

Just curious what you all would consider a necessity.

This could be books, Apps, just whatever.

(Although I am also specifically looking for an App to start tracking my live cash and tournament play if you have any suggestions.)

Looking forward to the conversation.

-ThatGuyScott

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything related to poker.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I recommend getting a subscription to one of the online coaching websites (run it once, upswing poker, TPE) as they release a lot of up to date content that will help your game a lot. Books are ok but most of them are out dated as far as strategy goes.

A

Amdrius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way to learn is to experience your own mistakes. To have an analysis of your game - I would advise you to buy a poker software that will store not only your entire game, but also notes on other players, and will also indicate your mistakes - for example, Hold'em Manager or Poker Tracker.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Positive attitude, relaxed, bankroll management and time sit aside away from the tables learning.

J

JNogard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking time to learn and practice is the most important thing for me.

Everything else might help but I haven't tried them out yet. :)

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play, study, exercise, eat, rest and repeat. Hoodie and sunglasses optional. Occasional shower is always +EV.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the top of the list is bankroll management. If you don't have this, or some form of uninterrupted money stream to handle your downswings, nothing else will matter.

Patience.

Wisdom (which comes with experience and focus)

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need patience and nerves of steel. Of course holdem Manager 2 or poker tracker 4.

rari458

rari458

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've heard great things about some of the more popular softwares, not sure if they're a necessity though depending on your level of play.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(Although I am also specifically looking for an app to start tracking my live cash and tournament play if you have any suggestions.)

I am a very satisfied user of PokerCharts.com - I mostly use it from my desktop but it can be used from your phone browser. See my thread in my sig for some examples.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep proper bankroll management, and a comprehensive method of tracking your results - whether that's through an app, something like HEM/PT or a manual spreadsheet (I used the latter because I mixed live and online play).

You need to look after your money, and know where you are and aren't making it.

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The practice is done by the teacher, you already have the theory and the desire to play, persevere, study and do not rely on virtual tools, analyze when you lose and learn much more of your mistakes, the human mind processes a lot of information and especially with your players Opposites that are the villains, that does not define the machine, that I think :)

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1:Trigger finger,,,check. 2;Balls in place,,,check. 3;Let`s play poker! :D

T

ThatGuyScott

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing some small live MTTs. Like 70-100 people. I can damn near make it to the final 3 tables in my sleep. I just never have the stack to keep going. I'll always be around 10BB shove a hand and get beat. Gonna keep on working it though.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing some small live MTTs. Like 70-100 people. I can damn near make it to the final 3 tables in my sleep. I just never have the stack to keep going. I'll always be around 10BB shove a hand and get beat. Gonna keep on working it though.

It's hard to say for sure, but if you're consistently making it deep-ish but always with a short stack it might be a sign that you need to play a bit more aggressive and take a few chances to build a bigger stack in the early stages.

It'll result in some earlier bustouts (and I know that can suck in a live tournament, when you've had to travel to the game and there isn't necessarily another one starting right away) but it'll hopefully also result in some much deeper runs and better cashes when you do manage to build that stack.

EsnneyPk

EsnneyPk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friend dedicating a lot of time to practice is fundamental to improve, the best experience is what you get from them, of course there are many very good books that despite being old their strategies are still like the commandments of poker and help you improve Your game, also the large number of poker schools and forums like Cardschat help a lot with your article. And with respect to the programs that allow platforms the most recommended is Hold'em Manager.
I hope this advice serves you. Practice and good luck at the tables.

T

ThatGuyScott

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Chopped with five guys tonight for $600 at the final table. Felt pretty good about my play, and I really wanted to keep playing. Just didn't want to be a dick since everyone there was super nice and we were all relatively the same size stack. Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully I'll have some much better cashes in the future!

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From day one my only necessity was and still is to come on here and asking for advice, opinions, and everything else I could get out of these great players who really know what they are talking about. I know that because I would get some advice and take it to the tables, and do just what I was told, and I found out that it works. That was what I done then and I'm still doing it. If you hear something that you don't like, then that is just what you need to be told. If these players told me in a nice way what the problem was and how to fix it, I never would have made it to the place I'm at now. There comes a time when you don't need the advice like at the start, and that's when you start passing that same advice on down to new players. By helping others you will learn a lot more. Yeah I'm getting away from the subject, so I just got one more statement. What works for you is what you are after. GL to you

B

bartleby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice, practice and you also need to be sure to play the right level, not too high in the beginning (even if it is a bit boring) after you have a good self confidence on the tables, start reading strategy posts here and there and maybe some books.