Is poker more luck or skill?

olfabiolo

olfabiolo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While many believe that poker is more about luck than skill, poker actually shows that skill prevails in the long run, as the amount of tournaments played is a great example of this question we ask ourselves..:thrasher:

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
While many believe that poker is more about luck than skill, poker actually shows that skill prevails in the long run, as the amount of tournaments played is a great example of this question we ask ourselves..:thrasher:
As you yourself have already answered, skill is essential to winning in poker in the long run.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
more skill than you think! You can sit back and watch all the players and how they play, then devise a strategy to take their chips.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Definitely skill, or else we wouldn't have professional players.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
if you think it is only luck then you will never win in a long time period

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
To win a tournament you have to be lucky at a certain point, but in the long run skill prevails

K

KITAYAWA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is certainly good, but it is a fickle thing, so you should rely more on skill.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greetings. There is definitely a place for luck in poker, but without skill it will not last long))))

E

ender0713

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Skill! but we also use BRM(bankroll management) to account for variance or luck that may go against us. And, there are many other necessary skills to have and develop for while you're playing, (besides starting hands and statistics). Such as game prep, or " Pre-game" and "Post game" analysis. Reading people online based off bet timing and patterns, a player's starting hand "Range", understanding tournament strategies before the money and once in the money, understanding cash game strategies, and being able to recognize what type of strategy a player or players are utilizing in order to effectively combat them and win or have the best of it.

GL! :)

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck smiles on everyone in poker, but players with skill win more often.

M

maroca06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it depends, when the game is live it's one thing when it's online is another. there is a tournament that the machine helps.

pokerace_1

pokerace_1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is mostly luck with a little skill but that skill can make a huge difference especially at the higher stake tables but even then theres always going to be luck involved and the percentages of luck vs skill change base off the players the cards and the probabilities involved some hands require more luck then others

O

odonob

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no such thing as the “long run” in poker. Each hand and tournament depends on the current hand. Luck does not balance out. The same as per for example a ‘net’ shot in tennis. There is no mythical “in the long run”. You either win or lose. The long run predicts a long term outcome, this is not the case. In the long run that hand will be a winning hand, nope it does not work that way.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can win one tournament if you are in a lucky day, but in the long run you need to have poker skills to be a profitable player.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker, 80% skill and 20% luck, as for luck, it manifests itself in the amount of work done on the game and on oneself.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Where did all the luck in the poker game come from? let's be serious!
By being born in the right moment of time. If you were born even one minute earlier or later, you wouldn't have sat in front of your computer monitor in time to win that particular pot.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is a game of skill, where luck has a small %.

Good morning everyone, poker is a game of skill, where the luck factor is important, to be a good poker player it is necessary to master many fundamentals, know the theoretical part of the game and the mathematical part. knowledge about the opening ranges of each position, knowing which hands you can 3bet for value or bluff, which hands you should go all in directly depending on your stack size is a very complex game where you often have more skill comes to the best prize pools. If you take the 10 best poker players in the world, we will see that it is clear that they are players who have a lot of skill and the luck factor plays a small role. In my opinion it's 90% skill and 10% luck.

S

slothi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is a part of the game (even the seating can be a lucky or unlucky one 😉)….but to reduce its influence on the result and become a successful player you must have specific skills….for me it’s more the question: do I have enough skills to reduce the influence of luck?….😉

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Any pair of cards can win at showdown."

More skill than luck, however you will need luck sometimes, remember of particularity that this game has, keep in mind the cooler and bad beats.

oleg8519

oleg8519

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think luck matters a lot, but also, of course, bluffing about 70 vs 30

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope it is more skill. Otherwise all my learning efforts would be useless. But the luck factor can really depress you, doesn't it?

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is exactly where the problem lies. Long term means that you have to play a lot of hands. If you occasionally play a few tournaments on the weekend, the losing streak can stretch over several months. I had exactly such a situation the last few days. I lost conspicuously often with much better hands after the river. Let's see how long this streak of bad luck lasts.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
My personal opinion is that luck will make you win in the short run and skill will make you win in the long run.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I hope it is more skill. Otherwise all my learning efforts would be useless. But the luck factor can really depress you, doesn't it?

It's a game of chance, so luck is all important.

A skilled opponent will always help themselves to your chip stack. Because they all know how to play Poker correctly.
The rest of us down at the bottom , don't !

We think we do...but we really really don't.

Eric Persson would wipe the floor with anyone commenting here... 9.8 times out 10... and he isn't even a great player.

Skillful gamblers that are lucky, win at poker. The end.