Poker...more luck or skill?

K

kyndlyon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im curious what most folks on this forum think. ive heard it said that poker is 90% luck and 10% skill. i dont necessarily believe that. anyway, let the debate begin.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately it's been unlucky just about every hand. Still think it is skill that wins out in the end.

AtownDanger

AtownDanger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its 60/40 in favor of skill.... but its hard to determine, one who plays bad and wins alot....could say its 90/10 in favor of luck, one who plays good and loses alot could say the same lololol If you dont get the cards , you can only bluff so many times, also if you get the cards you still have to play them properly in order to maximize your stack and or profits ! I'll stick with 60/40 Skill over luck.

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
two to 1 skill versus luck(67.666 skill 33.333 luck).

sheesho

sheesho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends in the stakes. micro stakes (5NL and below) is a lot of luck cuz a lot of people don't play right. Anything above it, you'll need skill and lots of it.

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning individual hands require luck, but to be a long term winning player requires skill. Good players will lose less in pots that they will lose, and more money in pots that they will win. That is where the skill comes into it IMO

L

liguolong

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how many hands you play.

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck and skill aren't opposites of each other...

Luck has to do w/ favorable circumstances...

Skill has to be applied through actions...

Circumstances and how we react to them are two different animals.

That being said, having to choose between being the luckiest player in history or the most skilled...

I'd choose lucky.

A

ALSALEFTY

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
live or online?

As a Live player, it seems to me there is more skill in live play. You have the ability to Read players by sight and can influence thier play by useing your own tells in your favor.

Online, with the reshuffle, seems to be much more luck involved. Also depends on the level you play at. :)

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it goes something like this:

Poker.jpg

Atticus22

Atticus22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it is a combination of both.

however, depending on the game, bluffing and knowledge of your opponents must be factored into the luck of the draw.

LizaMayra

LizaMayra

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say Online is Donkey Luck... and Live is skill

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more hands/tourneys played, the more skill is involved.

For example one random hand of a tourney is almost all luck. One random deepstack tourney 10-20% skill. Being a winning player after thousands of tourneys 80-90% skill.

BTW 63% of all statistics are made up on the spot so the above may not be perfectly accurate:)

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe winning over the long run is a skill. What is the long run a baseline of ten thousand hands would be a good start. Then lets look at skill. There are at least three areas where a skill player must be knowledgeable and completely in control. 1. The game they are playing rules, odds and theory. 2. Themselves,emotional and physically. 3. The ability to read and remmber other players, i.e. take great notes.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Success favors a prepared mind. Prepare for the game, study the game, and the game will take care of you.

T

TheWall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What happens on a day to day basis is luck, but what happens over the long haul has to do with skill. In the long run, and I mean LONG, everyone experiences the same hand combinations so it is up to you what you choose to do with them.

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be careful with assuming that success (even in the "long run") is attributable to skill. This is food for the ego...

We're better off assuming that we are successful due to our "good luck" and counting our $.

G

glemly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe its about 70% skill or so. You can be the best pro out there and still get unlucky. Granted it's not always about the cards you are dealt because if you are good you can always bluff, but I believe in many big tourneys it requires a great amount of both luck and skill to win. Lets face it, you are BOUND to have at LEAST 2 or 3 50 50 all in's to be knocked out if you are to win a big tournament.

T

teebee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think poker is a combination of getting lucky while being skillful at the game

Dunninger

Dunninger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What happens on a day to day basis is luck, but what happens over the long haul has to do with skill. In the long run, and I mean LONG, everyone experiences the same hand combinations so it is up to you what you choose to do with them.

Really well said.. it's no coincidence that a lot of the same guys always wind up being at the final tables on a regular basis...

You can get lucky in cards.. but ultimately its how you play your opponents that's going to matter...

:cool: