Poker and Mental Clarity

EagleCarver

EagleCarver

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As someone who occasionally suffers from anxiety and other issues, it can be hard to stay focused during a game. Is it okay to play with intrusive thoughts forcing to you second-guess your bets or should you wait for that perfect "game-winning" mental clarity to come to you? I ask because often times for me, the latter is a luxury that may or may not come.

:2in1:

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it is necessary to wait for the moment of greater mental clarity; playing with the confused mind is very difficult and unlikely to succeed in the tournament

PktPairPete

PktPairPete

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess that depends on why you are playing, and for what size of stakes. I play micro stakes and think that most of the time I lose is because my head's not in the right place. I know a lot of the theory and I'm getting better at reading situations, I just don't always do the right thing. Sometimes it works out, but most times it doesn't. I then remind myself I'm playing for fun - trying to improve, yes - but treat my stake as I would paying for any social activity - going to the gym, or an art class...

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker you need to go with a sober and clear-headed. And your thoughts are suitable for fishing game.
Play always a plus, went to the Bank, try to survive out of it all. No need to go to the edge of the hand.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
When you play poker, it’s best to think about poker.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing a tournament and are getting anxiety the truth is everyone is at the mercy of variance and most of the skill is superfluous.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it okay to play with intrusive thoughts forcing to you second-guess your bets or should you wait for that perfect "game-winning" mental clarity to come to you?
I have a system where I ask myself a set of questions BEFORE I play a poker game. I want to ensure that I am ready to play my A-game. These questions have to do with how I feel both physically and mentally. On days I have a weakness either physically or mentally... I decide how it will impact my game. If the problem can be fixed, for example if I am hungry, I fix it (eat). If the problem can't be fixed and a really negative impact to my game is expected, I don't play.

I would suggest developing a set of questions that help you know if you are capable of playing your A-game. Perhaps assessing your level of anxiety is an indicator, for example...
  • low anxiety you might consider playing, high anxiety maybe not
  • is the subject matter causing the anxiety something you can ignore (forget) while playing so that you don't become more anxious? If no, then maybe don't play
In general - I would recommend coming up with 1-5 questions that you can easily answer to give yourself an indication of how close to your A-game you can play. If you can't play anywhere near your A-game, then don't play for the day.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas. Good Luck!

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to play poker in a good mood, problems will interfere with making right decisions.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I am just trying to play in a good mood. A good mood always has a positive effect on the game. If you feel anxiety, stress or disappointment, in my opinion it is better not to start the game, because it will lead to negative results.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think the best way to pass that it take a momento, go to some place quiet and start again.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing seriously and want to earn some money you should be in best possible mood (mentally and physically healthy and not tired). If you want just to play some freerolls or low stakes for fun you can play at whatever state you are.

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a mental game like poker, nothing is more important than how you focus if you are in trouble and can not think quickly and clearly and do not even start a session.
Clean, fast, and essential mind.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, the anxiety you have to reduce it when playing poker because for poker you need as much mental clarity as possible, concentration is fundamental and when we lose that, it directly harms our game

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a skill that needs to be worked on, just like any of the other skills in poker. Mentality is a huge part of the game and I don't think very many amateur players out there, or even professionals, are able to play a purely objective game. There will always be spots where it is too hard to make the correct fold (or the correct play in general), and you can't blame yourself for that. But with time, you can discipline yourself to make fewer and fewer decisions based solely on your thoughts and intuition. I often find myself in situations where my gut is telling me to make a reckless play, but when I stop myself and consider my past experience and what I know from studying the game, I can talk myself into making the smarter play. Work on it slowly, and don't feel bad about yourself if you can't conquer it immediately.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the most important things before you sit down and play a tournament is to be clear about what you want to accomplish. To advocate in advance for a comprehensive strategy to achieve that goal. Motivation is the most important mental aspect of poker. it regulates the quality and the intensity of the commitment that you will put in this activity. It's not enough to be over-motivated in poker, you have to be consistent.

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
during a game it is necessary to disconnect yourself from all the problems and set up only to win in any tournament, and so it is better not to play, if the thoughts scored challenges of the game sense will not, because you can not tune in to the game with his thoughts about the problems

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't play clouded it will never work out I been there and sad to say done that:0) I think when anyone gets that way it is time for a serious break:0)

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah Mental Clarity! hmmm amazing concept about less is more.

best games ive found is where i've done less thinking about it and gone with the flow or when the only time ive looked at the hand in play is between watching a film or program in company of wife and when the alert sound goes for my turn to bet raise call or fold.

lol like allowing your auto response to kick in while driving, cycling or walking, you dont think about how each mussel moment contributes to any of those things it happens when you want it to... Clarity of Mind or absents of worry same thing really...

drubas

drubas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fully understand your thoughts. I have pretty much the same problems. Now I have to the decision to try meditation. I think it could be one of the bet ways to improve clean thinking wihtout distractions.

I will inform you about the results.

Greets!

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In poker you have to have clarity of mind to be relaxed without problems, if you have them is better not log

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only game, only poker, and no more thoughts! Thoughts spoil the whole mood for the game.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends, but, waiting for the perfect moment usually means waiting forever. Unless you are uncannily lucky (something I know nothing about) though, I'd be REAL CAREFUL about bankroll management.

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the psychological state is very important for a successful game! if something bothers you or distracts, then it is better not to play today because every unsuccessful distribution will depress you very much

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Poker is an entertainment also, which can help have fun and escape from everyday routine. This is a joy which can help to think clearly and comfortable. Also having some rest before game is valuable!