Is poker by luck

Haymore277

Haymore277

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People say poker is by luck is that true?

S

ss51734

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll here different things from different people but anyone that says luck doesn't matter in poker doesn't know shit about poker, and that goes the same for those who say theres no skill. I would say its about 40-60% luck and vice versa (even tho some days it feels a lot more onesided). Any poker winner of any kind gets lucky (even if they played well) and say that they got lucky along the line of the tournament, cash session, etc.

Last edited:
ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is a lot of luck, however there are also some of your strategies and how you make the best decisions with the information you have from your opponents

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely both, skills, luck and not getting unlucky. That's so important - if you are losing your 80% to 20% flips no amount of skill is going to get you out of that.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In any case, success is always behind the skills. So do not rely on luck in poker, and then it will lead you to the monastery.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I like to say that poker is a game about luck management. When the player with lower odds of winning wins, we can say that he had luck and etc. By that view, we can answer yes, poker is a game of luck... of lck management.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People say poker is by luck is that true?

I would say 65% luck, 35% skill.

Luck is a big part because it can affect the outcome of a significant pot.

Skill has some part to it because it can affect how much you win or lose in depending on how a hand plays out.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I would not rely only on luck.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is there luck in poker, yes. Anything can happen in the short-term.

Would a beginner be able to beat a pro over a large sample of play, no.

Skill is in experience and the time you put into understanding profitable strategies.

Good luck!

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is,but I believe that skill determines your luck...

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If truly poker is all about luck,how do I classify Daniel Negreanu? a skill full or lucky player?
You can classify this player as you like. After all his conversations about the changes on the PS, I do not like him.

Haymore277

Haymore277

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh,do u think he is better than Phil Helmuth?

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is definitely elements of luck involved in poker but there is a high element of skill, bluff, maths etc. It is not a completely 100% skill game and novices can beat experts but in the long run, experts will win more often.

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll here different things from different people but anyone that says luck doesn't matter in poker doesn't know shit about poker, and that goes the same for those who say theres no skill. I would say its about 40-60% luck and vice versa (even tho some days it feels a lot more onesided). Any poker winner of any kind gets lucky (even if they played well) and say that they got lucky along the line of the tournament, cash session, etc.

Luck is a huge factor in Poker. Skill mitigates the power of luck, and in fact being an excellent poker player means you don't rely on luck, but also that you do take advantage of it.

Technically Luck does even out over time, but that requires that you stay in the game for a long time. Therefore, without Skill, there is no luck.

P

patfreed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you try and always play preflop poker it will be mostly luck.

belka2203

belka2203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that luck is an important role. Knowledge and skills are important, but without luck they are powerless. The importance of luck can be seen in the wsop example. Real professionals sit at the tables, but one luck smiled and he took the grand prize.

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think is 80 percent luck and 20 percent technique. because in the end of the day you can bluff or you can try to hit your hand, but you have to have lady luck by your side. either you have it ou your opponent

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck and training - that's the key to winning poker ..))
:call2:

Sergio_uy

Sergio_uy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's more strategy than luck. what does influence a lot is the variance and we can also have a bad streak but in the long run if we play well and solid we will have good gains