Is Poker Like the Lottery?

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happends very often this year and poker might seem like lottery, when its many bingo players on table

D

Dude1901

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes yes,sometimes no🧐🧐🤓

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only a few win big

Only a small percentage of players ever win big.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a lottery, where the better players have more tickets.

Que frase meu amigo, se algum dia for escrever um livro sobre poker não esqueça de coloca-la. Foi a melhor definição que vi até hoje para o binômio sorte x habilidade.

steved757

steved757

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a way I would say yes because sometimes in Poker no matter how good you play a hand, it will be based more on luck than skill but also no because it still requires skill in some shape of form. While the lottery is 100% luck and you dont control nothing and the odds of it rolling in your favor or very slim to none!

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RARELY but it happens from time to time.
Much more often I am not that certain at the flop :)

T

TheChosenDragon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not completely a lottery, you can win hands on skill only.
As long as the opponent thinks you have the better hand, you win.
When people are of the same level, then it becomes a lottery, as then it is dependent of the strong hands you get if you win or lose.
I rather play poker, than play lottery.

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Theoretically, poker is not a lottery, but in practice it may be. Theorists teach us that after a large number of hands played, the impact of happiness is negligible. This would be acceptable if all the hands we play were of equal value, but we play games with different stakes, and some tournaments we finished at the beginning and in some we reach the very end. If luck decides the outcome in the hand you play once in your life, then all those lessons don't make sense.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's like a lottery...

But it has the huge advantage that you can influence how much luck you need to win.
The unluckiest person alive might be the best poker player and will still never win
a tournament but in the long run most good players will be more successful than the bad ones.

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how often did you happen to have a 100% confidence on the flop that you should win, and on the river you lose
Every day, every time I play! But I can say that the better I started to play (experience), the less often I started to get into a situation where I can't discard a card on the river. I began to feel more acutely the danger, and I do not hold on to every hand, I believe that a long distance will bring me success and victory!:driver::driver::driver:

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Poker can be like a lottery, and it is a lottery for at least 5% of the players. Unfortunately, unlike most games of skill, it's quite common to have very skillful poker players in a rather long downswing. In some sporting contexts you might hear the phrase Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent, when a good player is performing poorly. In Poker, what is form exactly? You might be playing terribly on a great upswing, or playing optimally on a terrible downswing. When is your form good or bad?

The greatest difference between poker and the lotto is the lack of skill in the lotto, of course. In very very very rare circumstances there is an opportunity to outsmart the lotto. For example, if the jackpot is huge enough, you may be able to buy all or most of the combinations for less than the reward. I'd count that as a skill, but such opportunities are extremely unlikely to occur, so it's safe to say that the lotto is a zero skill game.

Omaha poker is like a lottery, you will agree
I agree to a point. In Omaha, you often gamble on big draws. More often compared to Texas. Though, in Omaha it's not quite uncommon to acquire a lock on the win before the river, and it's pretty common to have the nuts after the last card is dealt. All wagers in such a situation are far from a lottery, if we don't count the prospect of getting our value bets wrong...

And about prediction............in what sport or game you can predict 100 % the final result???????? no one
You'll be surprised. Rigged sports games are a thing, you know {;

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
me and a skill game with a little luck, lottery to play all-in fold !

RiverRick

RiverRick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people play it as such. Beware of those types. Money I assume does not matter to them and eventually they will get lucky.

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker tournaments are ... cash games not as much

I

InfiniteHelios

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I firmly believe it definitely is. Even thought we all try to learn the basics, the best strategies and the best moves for each hand playable, this isn't like chess. There's always luck involved, even when you have the 99% chance of winning a hand. So yeah, it is like the lottery, in a smaller cap, and higher buy-in price. That's why experts always way to play the game in a moderate fashion, not just thinking about an easy way of maing money, because there's no easy way of making money, there's always hard work and persistance involved.

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flop, I will only be 100% sure of winning if I have absolute nuts. This happens rarely, so even with a 95% chance of winning, I will worry until the river. But at the same time, when I lose, I do not get upset for a long time, because I still have a lot of buy-in in the bankroll

B

Boreyko506

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The classic version of cash games and tournaments is not a lottery. A new format of games on pokerstars are more like a lottery. Eg flash spin n go where you can not beat the rake and it is minus game, just spin n Go Max after 24 hands go all -in is purely a lottery.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like PokerStars' daily Sunday Million and EPT freerolls are like lotteries because the blinds start so high and go up so fast that finishing in the top 5 or whatever takes an extreme amount of luck. I mean, just winning the first hand you play is an accomplishment in those tourneys..

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
poker is not a lottery, although it is possible in 50%, much depends on the player, the ability to predict the opponent’s cards

P

pokerdebit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how often did you happen to have a 100% confidence on the flop that you should win, and on the river you lose
Poker is like the lottery
Only you have more percentage of chance to win
I also find it stupid when you would win the flop and have more than 70% chance to win but lose on the river.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Overestimating the strength of your hand always develops so that the river takes all your chances to win. There are rooms in which the software settings are maximized per cooler. The room spins the turn of the rake and your monster on the flop is beaten by the river with a 2.8% chance. And so constantly. These rooms are aimed at players from post-Soviet countries. Do not play there ever!

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker has never been 100% winning. Everything is based on the mathematical probability in% and the player’s ability to bluff at the right time.

heeyjean

heeyjean

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last week a hit ITM by winning 32 pots. In 80% of then i didn't have to show my cards to win.

It means you can improve your "luck" by learning some tricks and win more.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no luck at all, it is a game of strategy and variance, at the long run players with the best strategy and mental toughness are the ones who will win more money.