• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill that requires luck for you to win more than you lose. Remember, poker is also a game of chance and in any game of chance luck is always the copilot, rether good or bad.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I also think that in poker luck is only 20-30%.
No doubt that 70-80% is a player's skills.

B

bonzai888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
75% luck
25% skills

also BR has a lot to do with it.
variance
discipline
finding your spots
table image
blahblah

its mostly luck..
these (pros, lol_) got luck to be signed with big deals, if it wasn't for all this pokerboom, sponsorship deals, they just would be just allen Kessler,
its all luck imo
no pros in this game

P

PokerWahoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I give you one HU match to answer this, a skilled player will have a 60/40 edge. However, if a noob goes up against a pro for 10k HU matches, the pro will always be winning in the long term. Thus I say poker is a skill game, but with a degree of variance

F

fatshady21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No poker is not pure luck it is the exact opposite since if you know your odds and know how to control your emotions then you would know when to call,fold,raise,bluff or go all-in.If i have to put it in numbers poker is about 90% skill and 10% luck but that is always when you play seriously and not in some small cash game or small tournament where your opponent will call your all-in with 2-8 and win.

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday...poker is about 25-30% luck..i play in a poker bar league and after 4 seasons(mid sept. to end apr.) basically top 6 or 8 are same out of approx 40 players..thanks darrell

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The eternal question :)

If other player win is luck, if I that is knowledge of corse. :))

LeChifre

LeChifre

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the period - on any given day, week, month or even year you can have a downswing (variance) - but with a big enough bankroll it is 100% skill!

:jd4:

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i go with 40% luck, you can play with no cards and win, wait, see the table...etc.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a small tournament yesterday and my skill level was at an all time high. ...too bad all the luck I had was bad. ....:eek:

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck-inalienable part of poker.But you must decide only right solutions and then luck of other players wont be so a problem.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After seeing the results of the poll I'm guessing 40% luck was the lowest option as I would've chosen much less,maybe 20-25% iuck at the very most.When you look at the true pros that have multiple wins in the big titles I think you'd have to be stone cold crazy to believe anything else.my biggest win consisted of a couple of very very lucky breaks but the level of focus,concentration and discipline involved I feel far far outweighed the luck factor and the hands I folded that kept me alive,well..I could say "lucky I folded" but I know damned straight its very skillfully that I folded.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There is some luck envolved, but the bluffers and skilled
players win most of the hands.

A

Abubakarovich

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck of course is one of the factors of a successful poker game. But not having elementary knowledge - good luck does not help.

AcooltartA

AcooltartA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck and Skill - both very important parts of the game. It is very rare that you win a tournament without any luck involved. I do believe that skill outweighs luck overall. That is why we see so many of the same names at the tops of the leader boards. You can't tell me that these same players are just extremely lucky all the time...

M

mirrornick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO cash games are more skill based. In large tournaments you must win at least 10 flips just to make it to the final table.

kasra32

kasra32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is an important factor but it's not a major factor!

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker mainly online depends a lot on luck, but I've seen people with luck and losing to a player with skill.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think when Doyle goes in the bank for a loan, they see him more than lucky. I think Skill is 80 percent at least maybe a lil luck

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to be in the profit for one day-100% luck
to be in the profit for 10 years - 100% skill

Yonip17

Yonip17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is one factor of winning at poker. But for me having an skill at playing poker is the main factor. Having a good poker skills is the best foundation to be a great poker player not depend on luck.

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, poker is not just luck, even though an occasional bad play "lucks out" and wins anyway. People such as Doyle Brunson, Daniel Negreanu Phil Ivey, Tom Dwan, Phil Helmuth, etc.etc.play their opponents and their tendencies as much or more than they play their cards. Repeat winners in big mtts or cash games is much more than luck. It's all about the betting...

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
30 % luck i think and 70 % its skill..