Poker. Is it a game... or is it a Sport?

mogadown

mogadown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its one of the most disputable questions out there. Is poker Really a Sport?... or is it just a game? There are a lot of people that say its a game and there is no sport to it, and a lot of people that say it IS a sport which is much more than just a game. Here are a few of my ideas and Im quite undecided.

Game: Its a game of Chance, a game of Luck, after all its just a card game. "it takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master." My Children even know how to play the game. You dont have to be athletic, you dont have to be strong, you dont have to have both of your arms and heck, you can even play this GAME from a wheel chair. Its featured on GSN (the Game Show Network)

Sport: As in most sports, if you are good enough at it, you can play it to earn your living. You have to be able to read your opponents and anticipate their moves so you can defeat them. That would initiate SKILL. Throwing balls is a skill, catching balls is a skill, hitting pucks is a skill. Driving a car at 200mph is a skill. You can earn more money in a 1 week session than a football player can earn in a year. That means being the absolute best in poker will pay you more than being the best player in Football. It is featured on ESPN, The leading sports authority. It covers "The world series of poker Main Event" which is what I like to call "The Superbowl of Poker"

Want to hear what you all think. Sunday, I will be watching the Football game... (Thats a game... is that a sport?? I dont want to argue that point)

B

BC7Falcons7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker

I would say it is definatley a game. A sport you have to do something relatively athletic. I do love poker though almost as much as I love sports.

H

henriquetnn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is a game where people will play more tweaking their strategies and abilities. Looking like a sport would not be too different ...​

TheRinser

TheRinser

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Game

Game, its not physical so how can it be a sport? Did you know they tried to pass Darts off as an Olympic event not long ago?

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YEAH, it's a sport. Not unlike Sumo.

It's a sport for really fat guys. :rolleyes:

---

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, is not like you do a lot of athletic work to drive a car, and is a sport.

The thing with poker that never cant be a sport, not because the athletic issue, but because the luck issue, in all the sports is up to your skills and efforts if you win or not, but in poker luck have a % to do with your win, yes you need to have skills too, but at the end, in poker the guy who wins is not always who have more skills.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, is not like you do a lot of athletic work to drive a car, and is a sport.

The thing with poker that never cant be a sport, not because the athletic issue, but because the luck issue, in all the sports is up to your skills and efforts if you win or not, but in poker luck have a % to do with your win, yes you need to have skills too, but at the end, in poker the guy who wins is not always who have more skills.
It is both, clearly, according to most standard definitions.
And sports have lots of luck involved, not just skill, also. If you are a football team with an injured QB at the super bowl, or an olympic runner trying to break a record on a day with wicked headwinds, or a leading Nascar driver with a flat tire, that is bad luck.
I also agree with Zig that online poker can become a sport for lardass fatsos, so all you kids out there watch yourselves down the road. Staring at a monitor for 13 hours a day wont turn you into an athlete, well maybe a fat one...

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game.Just like any other Card game.Only difference is if your good at poker it can make you some money.

P

PokerPlayer06

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game... I dont see how it is a sport. I see poker as a mental game, not physical, even though it can be a "physical" game with long tourneys etc. It is exciting to watch but no way no how is it a sport.

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, here is the Merriam-Webster take on it:

Game: a physical or mental competition conducted according to rules with the participants in direct opposition to each other.

Sport: 1 a: a source of diversion : recreation play c (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2): a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in.

Athlete: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.

In my opinion, the stamina part is the kicker. Same goes for chess. Older people with less stamina tend not to play as well as they did when they were younger. I vote sport.

tertip

tertip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me is poker definatley a game. maybe brain sport :D but not real sport.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My two cents say it is a game. Minus the athletics it is a game of skill...and oh ya luck!

K

KLock7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a GAME of skill. To me, for it to be a sport it has to be something athletic. I get that you have to have great endurance to make it through the huge numbers in some tournaments, but when you have people that are in the "golden years" still playing and doing well, I don't think you can call it a sport. The fact that it's on ESPN doesn't do anything to convince me that it's a sport. The WPT is on the Travel Channel, Poker After Dark is on NBC, I even see it on other channels from time to time. ESPN would be crazy not to have it on considering it's what pro wrestling was to cable back in the day. Ratings, ratings, ratings.

dweezel

dweezel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any "sport" that you can enjoy a beer while playing......... is not a sport.

Panamajoe

Panamajoe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:D But not more than a Baseball player!

You can earn more money in a 1 week session than a football player can earn in a year. (Thats a game... is that a sport?? I dont want to argue that point)

J

jyow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, here is the Merriam-Webster take on it:

Game: a physical or mental competition conducted according to rules with the participants in direct opposition to each other.

Sport: 1 a: a source of diversion : recreation play c (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2): a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in.

Athlete: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.

In my opinion, the stamina part is the kicker. Same goes for chess. Older people with less stamina tend not to play as well as they did when they were younger. I vote sport.

i dont quite get what you mean? poker involves stamina so you class it as a sport? well playing video games for hours on end also requires stamina and i wouldnt classify that as a sport.

the kicker here are the words "physical activity" in the definition of sport. i dont think we can dispute that playing poker is not a "physical activity" in a sporting sense of the word so it can only be classified as a game.

Y

Youngerhov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have this argument with my friends all the time. I'd say it is a game. My argument is the chess analysis. Chess is a game of skill as is poker. I would never claim that bBobby Fischer is an athlete.

B

brandonnj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It could be considered a sport, its on T.V. and their are serious competitions where hundreds of people compete just like a sport. Also there are classes in poker like in sports, amateur and pro. Thats the way I see it.

T

TapYaOut33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see poker as a game much in the way chess or scrabble. No athletic ability needed, just some intelligence at times for some people.

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with classifying poker is that game and sport are not mutually exclusive. There's too much overlap and ambiguity between the terms. What exactly determines the sport classification? Stamina? Physical exertion? Scorekeeping?

For instance, I see poker as no different than Backgammon, but I think most people would classify Backgammon as a game, rather than a sport. And there are a lot of sports that don't require physical fitness.

If monopoly tournaments attracted millions of spectators, the games would be televised on ESPN; you can be sure of that. Game or sport? How about taking everything that's classified as either, and just call it a competition.

W

WEED ISGOOD420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its one of the most disputable questions out there. Is poker Really a Sport?... or is it just a game? There are a lot of people that say its a game and there is no sport to it, and a lot of people that say it IS a sport which is much more than just a game. Here are a few of my ideas and Im quite undecided.

Game: Its a game of Chance, a game of Luck, after all its just a card game. "it takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master." My Children even know how to play the game. You dont have to be athletic, you dont have to be strong, you dont have to have both of your arms and heck, you can even play this GAME from a wheel chair. Its featured on GSN (the Game Show Network)

Sport: As in most sports, if you are good enough at it, you can play it to earn your living. You have to be able to read your opponents and anticipate their moves so you can defeat them. That would initiate SKILL. Throwing balls is a skill, catching balls is a skill, hitting pucks is a skill. Driving a car at 200mph is a skill. You can earn more money in a 1 week session than a football player can earn in a year. That means being the absolute best in poker will pay you more than being the best player in Football. It is featured on ESPN, The leading sports authority. It covers "The World Series of Poker Main Event" which is what I like to call "The Superbowl of Poker"

Want to hear what you all think. Sunday, I will be watching the Football game... (Thats a game... is that a sport?? I dont want to argue that point)

Wow i wish i knew the answer to this. But i would have 2 say it is both. Think of it this way Football,Basketball...Etc is a game and a sport. U pretty much explained it all. You have 2 know when to hold/fold em. have 2 know when to bet. It is a skill no matter how many people say its not. Both my opinion.:confused:

R

royalflush525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know, I kinda think its a little of both. I mean some people go through life thinking its a game. And some people always think winning is everything. So to win, it would have to be either, it all depends on how you look at it. so I would say it depends on who it is. I like to say for me its both.

Top 10 Games