Poker and Intution

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All human beings have experienced at some point in life or even many times this to what we call intuition, that we realize or perceive something very quickly having a feeling that something is right or wrong, it is as if they caught on the alarms about perceiving something without needing to have investigated it.

This also happens when we play poker that we are in a game situation that alerts us to something when we are behind or ahead in a hand, we have a feeling or we have that feeling that something is wrong or right and we make that decision if I need to analyze the hand.

Has it ever happened to you? Have they played hands and made decisions by intuition? Have they been successful or have they failed? They say that poker players are very intuitive or is it because over time we have played so many hands that they have been in those game situations so many times and our brain has already collected a lot of information following those game patterns and that is why we take those decisions without analyzing them much.

Last edited:
S

slais_pro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, intuition is very important in poker, sometimes you just feel that you need to call here and you win!

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All human beings have experienced at some point in life or even many times this to what we call intuition, that we realize or perceive something very quickly having a feeling that something is right or wrong, it is as if they caught on the alarms about perceiving something without needing to have investigated it.

This also happens when we play poker that we are in a game situation that alerts us to something when we are behind or ahead in a hand, we have a feeling or we have that feeling that something is wrong or right and we make that decision if I need to analyze the hand.

Has it ever happened to you? Have they played hands and made decisions by intuition? Have they been successful or have they failed? They say that poker players are very intuitive or is it because over time we have played so many hands that they have been in those game situations so many times and our brain has already collected a lot of information following those game patterns and that is why we take those decisions without analyzing them much.

I always play based on intuition. If everything is all right with me, if not, then I lost. If you can add a subtle calculation to your intuition, then the results surprise even me.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, contrary to lucky charms, intuition IS a thing in poker and most of the times it doesn't disappoint me.

C

CliffieDeuce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know the math behind poker, so I only play on intuition. Luckily, I only play freerolls and Micro if I win money in a freeroll.

M

Movi84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think intuition always comes with the experience

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

your text is very smart !!!! mainly the part: "the brain already gathers so much information"; and starting from this principle that intuition is true, the brain has already gotten used to certain situations that intuition becomes logical and natural.

:deal:

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never

i play by studying the opponents play style or by pure statistics. Hunches or intuition are not for me.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have lost my faith in intuition. I used to rely a lot on this feeling, but I had to realize that it won’t work in the long run. The basic rule in poker is not playing out of emotion make a decision based on rational thinking!

B

Buwwows

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think "intuition" amongst strong poker players is sometimes the brain processing a situation faster than it takes to rationalise into a cohesive thought. In a simplistic example if the the villain calls a raise pre and then calls flop and turn when the board is J-10-3 flop with say 2 diamonds. If the board bricks out on flush and straight draws and the villain makes a massive overbet into you on the river then the brain will recognise his line doesn't necessarily make sense and possibly identify it as a bluff.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the last paragraph, you correctly expressed the answer to your question.

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yep, intuition is great in poker :) situations where you just know your opponent will bet and you can hero call, or that he will try to bully you off the pot and you aint going to stand for it, from other peoples point of view though it could look like 2 idiots going at it with garbage. which kind of works in your favour too.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you play hand reading and putting people on ranges becomes second nature, and as you get more experienced you can narrow your opponents' ranges pretty significantly.

As for I had a feeling this 37os would win: no - just no. :D

Fooled by randomness and remembering only when it works out and not the other times it doesn't.

Good luck!

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I happen to intuit that he has a better hand than mine and still pay to prove it to me :)

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play using your intuition you will fail at poker, intuition has no place in a poker hand, only the analysis and knowledge acquired as a result of experience and study.

florestaftw

florestaftw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, intuition is very important for poker, but it can bring a lot of bad bets since they are based on feelings.
Experience hones intuition.:hmmmm2::hmmmm2:

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Both in my personal life and in poker, I often make decisions based on my intuition. But my intuition is based primarily on my skill and experience.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Intuition must be accompanied by experience, that's what I think and

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The problem is when your intuition is wrong ... It happens to me a lot hahaha

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play using your intuition you will fail at poker, intuition has no place in a poker hand, only the analysis and knowledge acquired as a result of experience and study.

Greetings,

This is not necessarily true. You may want to consider that some people confuse intuition with impulse. For those giving up on "intuition", you may want to read up on the difference between the two.

Experience and study leads to brain (muscle) memory. This is pretty much what everyone else is referencing here.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greetings,

This is not necessarily true. You may want to consider that some people confuse intuition with impulse. For those giving up on "intuition", you may want to read up on the difference between the two.

Experience and study leads to brain (muscle) memory. This is pretty much what everyone else is referencing here.

I have no arguments to debate your answer since I am not a neurologist, I understand intuition, a feeling of playing a hand in an x way, and that is what I mean when I say that intuition and poker are not compatible now what you express seems very logical, although I repeat, I cannot comment on how the human brain works at that level since I do not have the knowledge of the study of the human brain to express an opinion. about your answer

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I trust intuition and have won using it a number of times as I am sure so have lots of folks in CC. While we usually use it during the hand as we react to the actions of others I have also found it showing up when I first see my cards. I heard that still small voice very quietly in the background just for a moment. Then I ignored it because my conscious brain was using "logic". Ha was I wrong. Mu intuition said this is a hand you should play but when a player raised before me I folded only to watch the flop and weep :) Now I try very hard to listen and stop before I act.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Intuition plays a big role in life. Intuition is direct knowledge. When you use logic along with intuition to solve a problem, it gives a greater advantage.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens that I sense that he has a better hand than mine and yet I pay to prove it :)

The feeling of my intuition has passed me the same, most of the time it is when I think I am losing my hand and sometimes I have ended up paying too, but I no longer do so much lol

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you play poker, the more experience you gain and thus you can rely more on your intuition. Novice players only think that they are playing using intuition, but in fact they act by the method of being lucky.