Poker in the Ears hosts discuss Phil Hellmuth's blowup.

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
During the James Hartigan and Joe Stapleton opinion video on youtube, they do have slight differences of opinion regarding the Phil Hellmuth antics recently. The comments exchanged between James and Joe got me thinking.

Joe: (general idea) Is it right for Phil Hellmuth to rant and carry on at a poker table? No. 'Do I think it's bad for poker? No. I can't see how this is bad for poker.'

James: (synopsis) 'One of the biggest things that stops people from wanting to play poker is the intimidation factor. It is the fear that the game is filled with a**holes and nasty characters ...Exhibit A. Hellmuth'

What I was wondering, do the 'nasty characters' really keep people away? When you look at some of the videos that pokerstars has posted with compilations of the Phil rants and the views/comments they receive, this leads me to believe the 'nastiness' in fact may be drawing folks to the poker table or at least are interested in poker. What do you think? Here is the poker in the ears video

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
During the James Hartigan and Joe Stapleton opinion video on youtube, they do have slight differences of opinion regarding the Phil Hellmuth antics recently. The comments exchanged between James and Joe got me thinking.

Joe: (general idea) Is it right for Phil Hellmuth to rant and carry on at a poker table? No. 'Do I think it's bad for poker? No. I can't see how this is bad for poker.'

James: (synopsis) 'One of the biggest things that stops people from wanting to play poker is the intimidation factor. It is the fear that the game is filled with a**holes and nasty characters ...Exhibit A. Hellmuth'

What I was wondering, do the 'nasty characters' really keep people away? When you look at some of the videos that PokerStars has posted with compilations of the Phil rants and the views/comments they receive, this leads me to believe the 'nastiness' in fact may be drawing folks to the poker table or at least are interested in poker. What do you think? Here is the poker in the ears video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yriZ7TNhqzA

This matter has been discussed in various threads on CC already. My personal experience is that the likes of Phil Helmuth put me off the game when I was first getting into poker.

Secondly, I would not make the leap people watching Phil Helmuth blow up on You Tube brought anyone to the game. People watch car crashes and fail videos by the millions. Phil Helmuth is literally a car crash who can't contain himself.

If poker as a game is truly to grow -this is what the industry states- then you are not going to attract women (as an example of who the industry wants to attract) to, the game because Helmuth spent twenty minutes calling his fellow competitors M***** F*****s.

That's Helmuth acting as a vulgar man-child and it is not a good look from any perspective.

hunterws

hunterws

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spoiled brat that needs to get some ethics pounded into him. Obviously has not gotten his rear kicked enough in life. He sits with his legs crossed to, I don't trust those dudes. hehe