Poker-game of chance or sport?

trozolet

trozolet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me its definitely a sport, sure, sometimes a lucky player would win but only the great ones make profit every single time. For mi its not about winning, its about cashing.

For example, there's 2 players, they both played the same tournament 5 times. The first one won one of them, but was out earlie in the others. The second one get in the money in all of them.

Who played better? First or second?

A

avderevo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is both a sport and a gambling game to some extent. For me poker is more a sport

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
game fr chanse not sport is only kind in competition....

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is neither a "game of chance" nor is it a "sport". It's a game of skill, that incorporates chance.

Why do we have this exact thread so regularly?

+1

Poker is certainly a game of skill. This is why good players win and bad players flounder around. Notice, I did not say bad players lose, because we all know that is not true. If the bad players always lose there would be one to play against.

"....The pot went not to the luckiest among them but to the most deft — the player who could guess his opponents’ intentions and disguise his own, make calculated decisions on when to hold and fold, and quickly decide how much to wager. That, anyhow, is how one federal judge saw it from his chambers in the Federal District Court in Brooklyn.

In a ruling that goes to the heart of what it means to play poker, Judge Jack B. Weinstein tossed out the conviction and vacated the indictment of the man who ran that gambling business. The judge’s reason: poker is more a game of skill than a game of chance, so game operators should not be prosecuted under the federal law the prohibits running an illegal gambling business.

“The most skillful professionals earn the same celestial salaries as professional ballplayers,” he wrote in the exhaustive 120-page ruling that detailed the history of poker in the United States...."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/n...me-of-skill-than-of-chance-a-judge-rules.html

...."After a seven-year trial, Amsterdam's court dismissed charges against three men accused of violating the national gambling law with a verdict that finds poker to be "first and foremost a game of skill, not of chance"."

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2014/01/amsterdam-court-rules-poker-a-skill-game-17340.htm

L

ludomaniaco24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people, and I believe that poker is a game of chance

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me sometimes, thinking should be a sport or then again maybe by chance...now I'm confused,

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker historically relate to gambling.The result of one game to a large extent random. And even after an hour or two games a beginner can beat a Pro

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Poker is a game of chance and skills, you need both to win.
The best skilled Poker player is beaten every time by lucky cards this is the famous "bad beat" or as some prefer to call it the "Variance" implying that there is a sort of probabilities involved

N

nenkov407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of chance and skills, you need both to win.
The best skilled Poker player is beaten every time by lucky cards this is the famous "bad beat" or as some prefer to call it the "Variance" implying that there is a sort of probabilities involved

Yes same as the best boxers in the world have defeats, such as best football teams get defeats. For example brazil - germany 1:7. It is skill but for that score you need a huge bag of luck since you play against one of the best national football teams in the world. So in every sport there is an element of luck and chance.

yelmopoker01

yelmopoker01

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that poker does have its share of luck, but poker is considered as the sport of mind and goes through a specific form of gambling and requires a whole technique to be a great champion. That way, we can know that the real way to be a poker professional is to study, buncando improve day by day the game !!!

So that's it, GL to everyone and we meet at the tables !!!
Yelmopoker01

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a gambling game of skill, a great game but not a sport.

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can not believe that some consider it a sport, and so many other games that do not have a sport hair.

Is simply a game of chance that with mental agility can only reduce losses, as it only wins if the luck of the cards gives you the best game.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
online poker is chance. Plain and simple. My worst games I can win a tournament and my best games I am railing...

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a bad idea, poker could fall in the ranking of chess :rolleyes:

A

alex_Romejz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is a sport like chess involves a complex strategy and many hours of study .

shpeko42

shpeko42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it can be considered a sport because there is an element of competition.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
poker is a sport, such as chess.

P

PokahAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For sure poker is officially accepted as mind sport. The card game of poker has been officially accepted by the International Mind Sports Association at the organization's congress held in Dubai, UAE. It is now considered a mind sport just like chess or bridge. There are efforts for poker to take place in the Olympic Games.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker and sports are not the same thing

Fernanda37

Fernanda37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a mind sport, just like Chess and Go.

RogerG2k

RogerG2k

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends a lot on the day because only poker sometimes nausea like to play other sports too.

Last edited:
R

roncato

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I say it's a mix of both, to be honest.

"The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do." -Michael Porter

Luck is the savior for the few but a demon for the masses.

Top 10 Games