Poker-Gambling or Skill?

8infinity8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The debate of poker being a game of skill or gambling has been long a hot topic. And it still will be debated for years to come. And yes, everybody is entitled to their own opinion and they have every right to do so.In my terms, If you play poker for money, its gambling. If you play to win a bracelet, win a tournament, get a good read of your opponent, dominate your opponent via card play and actions, get yourself disciplined psychologically, have self control on spendings, defeating your temptations to rebuy to gain those losses back, its a game of skill. Just my personal opinion. Daniel Negreanu while playing streaming a wsop event by GGpoker, explained his view on this debateable topic and I totally agree with him. Watch the video below to know his take.

*Disclaimer i don't own the video, its just a clip from the stream.*

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've always acknowledged that Poker is a mix of Luck and Skill

The way we construct our ranges, and the bets/calls we make are the skill

What cards are dealt to us, the board runouts what part of our opponents range we run into (top or bottom) and where we get placed on the table is luck.

Due to the increasing blinds in tournaments and shallower stacks the more significant the luck factor is in them in cash game.

Cash games we have so much more control (including what we do off the table to increase our ability to perform well) and thus there's a lot more luck.

So my thoght, Poker is not LUCK OR SKILL it's a Mix of Both, it's Gambling AND skill

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe it was Anthony Holden (or was it Al Alvarez?) who wrote (and I am paraphrasing here):

"Poker isn't gambling. Gambling is a style of playing poker, and a losing one at that."

Patoamz95

Patoamz95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a game of skill if you put a pro player against a novice the pro will win 95% of the hands so I don't consider the luck factor

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker is still a gambling game. But you can use your skill to increase the probability of winning chance. And of course, when we meet some bad players, your winning chance is incredibly high.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the games here are a lot the same people finishing strong. That is not luck, it is skill. Everyone will be lucky and then unlucky, but the skilled players can still finish ITM on higher percentage than those of less skill.

If you think the game is luck, you should spend more table away from the table looking at why. My guess, you will find a few leaks and something that will get you a higher percentage of cashes.

Those successful professional players are not looking for luck. They are spending time with coaches, other colleagues and looking over past hands. If feel this game is luck, you are what a skill player is looking for.

UM3SH

UM3SH

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play with both strategy - skill and gambling with good cards.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... never spending their time in some random forum (if they exist) :rolleyes:

However cardchat dont have any of these ;)

Here is the paragraph you quoted:

Those successful professional players are not looking for luck. They are spending time with coaches, other colleagues and looking over past hands. If feel this game is luck, you are what a skill player is looking for.”

No where does reference a forum. Actually there are pro players here, who play poker for a living. Not really sure what you quoting?

C

CliffieDeuce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's both

I think it is both. Online, there is more luck and gambling involved.
If the RNG doesn't want you to win, you won't win.

I have watched Pro's online and if they don't get cards they go bust.

It is impossible to bluff your way to the final table.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Actually there are pro players here, who play poker for a living. Not really sure what you quoting?

Ofc it is pros here but the truth is that these "pro players" didnt come pro after joining this forum though :damnmate:

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe and it is my humble opinion, there is no discussion, it is a game of skill and chance, it is totally complemented.

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

O

oscarhuka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a variety of skills and games of chance where luck tips the balance. I know people who have won rings and tournaments with the unique ability to send all the chips to the center of the tables at all times.

This example of players when they win helps them luck a lot. Then we can talk about the chances they have of succeeding playing this way.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ofc it is pros here but the truth is that these "pro players" didnt come pro after joining this forum though :damnmate:

That is not correct. Lot of players are making a living playing after “cutting there teeth” here. I do appreciate you’re version of the truth though.

O

Oksana55

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AZART is good, but she doesn't need to get carried away. The main skill is patience, again patience and luck will come to you.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling