Poker Etiquette?

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Over the past few years I have encountered an item of Poker Etiquette which lately seems to have disappeared. The item is when in a Tournament and a short stack at the table goes all in, the other players whom have called just check it down to the river (unless they have the absolute nuts). The concept being that the more players against the short stack for one hand the better. The whole idea of a tournament is to reduce the number of opponents until there is only you...makes sense...For some reason this concept has gone by the wayside...too bad it was considered good Poker Etiquette..then again I guess nice guys finish last...:):):)

comments??

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I don't understand what etiquette has to do with this, but any short stack that throws all their chips will be checked. especially if they are knockouts, and there will be at least two inspectors.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Over the past few years I have encountered an item of Poker Etiquette which lately seems to have disappeared. The item is when in a Tournament and a short stack at the table goes all in, the other players whom have called just check it down to the river (unless they have the absolute nuts). The concept being that the more players against the short stack for one hand the better. The whole idea of a tournament is to reduce the number of opponents until there is only you...makes sense...For some reason this concept has gone by the wayside...too bad it was considered good Poker Etiquette..then again I guess nice guys finish last...:):):)

comments??

I wouldn't call this etiquette either.

If the other two players just called and you have air - what is the purpose of betting into a dry pot - i.e. no sidepot. ?? If your opponent has you beat then he calls - if he folds then you have thinned the field but you are still up against the short stack, who presumably shoved with some kind of strong hand.

I have seen this happen a few times and the better with air is just being stupid (they think they are being greedy and aggressive but no).

Good luck !

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Once again, it's not really an etiquette issue...

If you are the short stack who is all in, would you consider it good 'etiquette' for the other plays to not play against each other to increase the chance of busting you out? :biggrin:

It's more common sense or gamesmanship to check this spot down, etiquette is about three fields over that way... :)

I see these instances occurring fairly regularly..

If someone is stupid enough to raise this position with king high (or whatever), get other players to fold and then loses to the all in player, it just highlights their lack of knowledge and ability in regards to MTT strategy.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I certainly don't see this situation as etiquette. The all in player might even see everyone checking as a form of collusion. And, while one of the objects of mtt play is to reduce the player field another is to increase our stacks. If I have a good hand and hit the board why would I not consider playing for a side pot?

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Remaining players checking down with another player all-in is definitely more of a live tournament choice than online for many factors. Playing online, communication (even subtle cues) is harder because of the time clock and players not looking at the chat box or has chat off. I think it's something that's faded away in general though and I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up to it be a "poker etiquette" rule.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see the reason to behave this way. In many cases if you have good hand you can win much more money from the side port and do not care if tha all in player will win the small main pot or not. If we are on the bubble of big tournament there may be some reason to do your best to bust the all in player but in all other cases it sounds strange to me.

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

comments??
First off nice guys do not finish last it's a misconception they are just not loud boisterous jagoffs when they win so when people remember back doesn't stand out as much as loud idiots and it seems like they win less.
I agree about etiquette this example and many other (what should be common) courtesies have gone to the wayside. Yet I do not stop even if I am the last one practicing them. I have to live with this conscious and he's hard on me so I try and keep it clean and clear.

Last edited:
N

nyeesssss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on if there is a side pot and also if there is a bounty. and it has nothing to do with etiquete people are just trying to save their chips. also if someone is a chip leader and the table dynamics at the moment are allowing him to build his stack he doesnt really want the short stack to bust.

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

comments??

I don’t think you gave a good example, I believe that this particular example should not be regarded as an element of poker etiquette, but rather as an element of teamplay, which is not very much appreciated in poker, here’s another thing familiar to everyone slowroll

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who bluffs at an empty side pot is completely clueless. If there is a decent side pot then I don't see this as poor etiquette unless you are in the money already and there is a big pay jump.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker etiquette is really just a big grey area of conversation. Everyone will have a different point of view on what is good and bad poker etiquette but in all reality, as long as you arent being outright rude/mean or harassing someone or multiple people you should be able to play the game however you want.

Some people prefer to talk a lot. They usually like using social activity to either get tells on people or put people on tilt. Some people like to play the silent game and try to give absolutely nothing away at the table. And everything in between is just people playing poker.

I tend to be a silent type and like to see people trying to pry info out of me and others. I can handle an abnormally large amount of annoyance so talkers at the table dont bother me one bit.

A great poker player knows how to play with all the different types of personalities.

O

oormaner

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
breaking the unwritten rules of poker might get you scolded for in live games.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker, they say no friends, what kind of etiquette can be discussed. There must be one priority here is victory.