Poker & Depression

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you deal with depression and playing poker?

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
my mood only worsens ....... it is better not to play in such a mood, to do something else

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Hi.
Honestly, I usually have so much work to do that I just do not have free time for depression. I only play poker 3-4 days a week, and it is sad because I'd like to play every day. Therefore, the lack of free time is the only thing that makes me sad sometimes.
Good luck.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard, very hard... 'cause when I have a bad day at poker, my mood worsens dramatically.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think the best way to deal with depression is to plan your actions annually, monthly, and weekly to achieve your goals. It may seem routine at first glance, but it is an effective mechanism that will allow you to move forward and ignore minor setbacks.
Good luck and do not be sad.

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my humble opinion poker is not the best place to try to improve a depression.
sometimes with a very calm head, this game can drive people crazy !!!!

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I am trying to not a play poker during the depression if possible of course because I will loose for sure. If I have been depressed during the game because of bad beats, which is happening sometimes just trying to control myself and take the brake.

fenoz

fenoz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Беру 1-3 дня перерыва в игре,
I can't hold out for more than three days without a game

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes it's well to take a break when you feel like you lose motivation to play

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I feel depressed, I often stand up, take a deep breath, and think of a positive thing before I start playing poker again.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone.
At the moment, there is no depression, but she sometimes visits me, and then I just stop playing for a week, maybe two. The main thing is to remove from your life the things that make you depressed.

PrOKatana

PrOKatana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest, playing poker helped me get a little out of the grip of depression, when I am at the table I forget most of the problems and negative thoughts

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Really Don't Know...

Fortunately, I do not really have to deal with depression, however, I will say, if I am the slightest bit irritated about something, I have come to learn that it is not a good time to play poker (for me). Perhaps I could play a FreeRoll, maybe if I do well, I might get over it, but not likely. If I do poorly, which is more likely, I will probably be more irritated. Cash Games are DEFINITELY OFF LIMITS! This is a situation that is ripe for bankroll MISMANAGEMENT!

For me, when I encounter this situation, it is just better to go to bed early, and skip the poker.

Ok, that is depressing, lol! Moving rapidly along to a new topic...

Best of Luck at The Tables All,

CheezeWiz

Last edited:
niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Leave table & watch some joke video. :)

Nothing is so important about poker. ;)

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I deal with it too and honestly, some stoic principles that help the mental game of poker also helped with my depression.

However, If I'm in the fog of it I'm too fatigued and never focussed enough to play my A-game. Most of the time I quit within 20 minutes because I play my worst in this mindset and it's more profitable to study poker instead of playing like your sleepwalking through it.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am fairly balanced but notice results still affect me more than they should. I am pretty chilled when I have a good day but bad days do irritate me and I can imagine someone who suffers from depression having hard time.

However, one thing which helps me to stay level and keep perspective is keeping good records on a spread sheet. I can look over results I have had (say since joining CC) and see whilst the amount of cashes varies, it is still a relatively steady stream of results even on low ebb. It helps with letting a bad session or day go. The downswings are seldom quite as bad as we feel they are.

The other thing is to be aware of when you are not in the mood (mentally or physically) and limit your involvement that session. IF you are not feeling great, do not force it.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think a healthy lifestyle and regular exercise is the best way to prevent depression and frustration. I think that sport will help you get rid of all the negative.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't even sit down to play poker when I'm depressed. Because I know that I will completely lose everything.

Maiuchi

Maiuchi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What depresses me is my bad game, when I make very bad movements and that leads me to lose, it depresses me, it leaves me lying on the floor, I cannot get up or improve, I just think that by studying I can deal with it.

P

Panda19977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depression is a dangerous combo with poker.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker and depression

Don't play! If I had a bad at work, poker isn't a activity choice. Looking to be well rested and in a positive mood. Otherwise it is a waste of my time. Playing an MTT, few hours in and it seems like a chore instead of a hobby.

Much rather get outside, and enjoy a hike or spending time with my dog. At least this is promoting my mental health in a more constructive manner.