Poker breaks

F

FadedFamous

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone else take a break from poker when they are down or having a bad run and not play real money poker for a couple weeks or is it just me?

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm doing a short break from poker, poker takes lots of strength and energy, I try to play every tournament efficiently and is that for a long time does not add up and you beat the players who are playing badly, they are much weaker than you, but they win and you lose and can't do, you can't get even minimal prizes, not to mention how to win poker tournament you lose motivation, you lose the mood, give up, you are losing money and do not believe that there will come a white strip and you will begin to take shape and you start to get at least the money and sooner or later win a poker tournament. I take a break from poker to unwind, accumulate strength and energy, restore my psyche and nerves, and relieve stress. I'm not a machine or a robot, I'm a human being.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A break once in a while doesn't hurt. Or try playing lower stakes so you don't risk loosing big money.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If the game does not bring me pleasure, I always take a break. And I come back when I want to play.:)

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I do is take one day a week without playing anything so as not to saturate myself, as far as a bad streak is part of the game I try not to affect the game session even if I have a very bad streak:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't worry and don't get upset - even the most successful players have bad periods in the game! And only you can decide how to deal with it! If breaks help you, then you're welcome!

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm going through that moment where playing poker went to another plane, in my case it's time to take a break from so many dream tournaments

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play every day, even when I lose )), but it's not tilt, everything is under control.
I can not play for one day, and then because I have other things to do, or with friends decided to drink beer )), and I drink very rarely, and consequently breaks in poker are also rare, one day in 2-3 months.
Here are the cases :D

Entrik

Entrik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, it would not be bad, otherwise I almost play every day and I shouldn't be bothered ( I think I need to raise a good amount) And to take a little vacation, otherwise I wasted a bit of nerves :(

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I play poker an average of 4 days a week, so I don't actually need a break. But, in any case, a break is a better option than continuing to play when you are unlucky and losing your money.
Good luck.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
It is definitely healthy to take a break when things are not going well in poker ... even the great poker professionals go through moments of bad luck ... and they recommend taking a break ... that does not make you be a bad player ... to the point that you stop playing poker for good ...

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Long ago, I made a rule for myself... I only play poker when I'm in the right mood to play poker.

If I'm not "into it", then I won't play, because I know I won't play my A-game and won't play my best.

Luckily, I'm not playing to earn a living, I play for the fun of poker and the money is just a nice bonus. So I don't have to set a schedule and stick to it, because poker isn't the way I put food on my family's table or pay the rent.

I would imagine this is the most difficult part of playing poker as a primary source of income, because to be a "professional" you will have to often play poker when you're not really into playing poker, and in my opinion that's a recipe for disaster.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I took a ine year hiatus from playing. I believe it helped me. I came back with a whole new game plan and it works. That break did me good.
Dan'O

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take breaks every time I’m in a bad run, I usually take a few days off and it’s great. I usually come back playing a lot better.

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing Poker Is My Break...

As a recreational player with a somewhat demanding day job, typically I can not play nearly as much poker as I would like, so taking a break from poker is not typically my concern.

On a positive poker note, I have no kids in the house and my gal also plays poker, so there are certain weekends where I am afforded many hours to play poker. I have found a recurring theme where I may play 12+ hours of poker on Saturday (and this may be after 4-6 hrs Friday night) and win or lose (makes no difference), it comes Sunday and I need a break... not interested in playing poker, even though I have time to play... just kind of OD'd on it! Come Monday or Tuesday, I am ready to squeeze in an hour or two of poker.

But regarding taking a break when running bad, yes, some days when I intend to play quite a bit of poker, I am just not into it, maybe other things distracting me, early results not good, I am not feeling it, I call it quits (if I am smart, that day!). Just not a poker day!

Bottom Line: If you are not feeling it, do not force it! Take A Break and Come Back Refreshed and Ready to Win!

MrMagoo305

MrMagoo305

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Went been card dead for days and the tilt keeps getting deeper. That's my sign to take a break for a week or 2 and just focus on reading poker books. Jonathan Little and Alec Torelli are good books to start reading and focusing on the fundamentals of the game. Sometimes we intent to forget and a good book would remind us were we made our mistake and learn from it. But if you grinding on the tables, always remember to stay humble and play your "A" game all the time. Distraction and emotions are the only things that could beat you in the game

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Does anyone else take a break from poker when they are down or having a bad run and not play real money poker for a couple weeks or is it just me?
Despite I play every day, I also do it from time to time, even if I'm having a good run.

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, of course, it depresses and many times a break is necessary, although in my case, since I don't have money, I play the freeroll so that I can start over with a paid ticket.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take a break from poker for 2-3 days if I lose a few days in order to understand my mistakes.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always take a break from the game for a few days and start playing when there is a desire and emotional uplift.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I only play 2-3 days a week, normally for around 4 hours a session, so I never really suffer from "burnout" or poker fatigue and it allows me time to review my game which is really what I think a lot of amateur players don't do, or don't do well.

If you're playing everyday without a break and without study, you are going to make mistakes. Making mistakes without giving yourself to refresh your mind or the chance to recognise those mistakes and fix them, you're going to have a pretty rough time of it.

Also, while having a break to reduce tilt and refresh your mind is good, if you're not fixing leaks in you're game, you're going to need a lot more breaks than you would like. Better to take time to regularly review your game and play a fairly regular schedule.

roberto51

roberto51

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't remember taking even a one-day break this year. I have accounts in several poker rooms and even if I do not do well in one, I will make up for it. And this is how it is. It's hard to do without it. Of course, you have to be able to use common sense in the game all the time because you can fall terribly low.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I also take a break, and usually it helps me save my money. I believe that the game should be fun and not disappointing. I also believe that a break helps to improve concentration and increase the chances of making a profit.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate taking a break but a break can be very helpful.