Poker Attitude/Philosophy?

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Been giving this some thought recently. Seems to me a winning poker attitude/philosophy is to have just the right amount of the Give a Sh-t or Care factor.

I mean - you need to care enough to not make the really stupid moves, but but not care so much/have enough bravado to make the just plain stupid ones. I make a lot of the latter, which is why I have chat turned off. Why you ask? Cuz when I crush AA with a BS hand I just know the trash talk mill is going to be working overtime in the chat box.

So on a scale from 1 - 10 what's your Give a Sh-t/Care number (1 = couldn't care less; 10 = AA or nothing)?

I'm right in the middle, a solid 5.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is a lifestyle it can be attitude decision it can be knowledge statistics in general poker is a bit of mixture of all knowledge experience attitude fight decision intuition a bit of everything :D

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I so much don't care, I won't even attempt to answer OPs question! :p

Okay, but seriously: maybe a 7 or 8? If I were affluent that number would be significantly lower.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, it all depends on the opponents at the table, I can move in any direction on your scale. But I think I will definitely not play at level 1)))).

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always try to be patient and not play with junk. I believe that players who like to play with junk, count on luck because they do not have enough skills.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I always try to be patient and not play with junk. I believe that players who like to play with junk, count on luck because they do not have enough skills.
That, or they adhere to the fallacious belief that after so and so many lost hands, the universe owes them something.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
That, or they adhere to the fallacious belief that after so and so many lost hands, the universe owes them something.

You are right. Such players will blame the whole world for their failures, but never admit that the problem is in them.

B

bethqueen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the financial factor greatly influences this scale. Maybe I was rich and I cared a lot less about it.
Perhaps a scale of 7 or 8 would suffice. If one day I become rich I'll come back here in this post and reevaluate the established criteria lol

For sure a balance of the two, because I believe that in my upbringing poker needs.

N

Niykk

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often lose value and hands due to lack of patience. There is a right way to play poker and yet again one could still be losing in the short-term. Being patient, i.e. folding more often than we'd like to is key to being a better player, as well as calling obvious bluffs and taking risks.

I think mainly fold, rarely call, raise and 3-bet often when in hand is the way to go.

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience, persistence and knowledge are the main root in any thing you do in life so try to hone this things and see the results but it takes time.

IllDaShystee

IllDaShystee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
“Don’t sweat the small stuff and it’s all small stuff”- Dr. Richard Carlson

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think my number changes depending of the day..lol
Most of the days I would say my number is 7-8, but there are days that I just don't have any patience at all, almost a 2.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My Philosophy: staying consistent

I enter every game, tourney, etc with the same philosophy: It's a new game, anything can happen. Yesterday, three out of the money, MTT, got a lot of good luck until one bad break. Today, it was a new day, new tourney. Couldn't catch a big break or momentum. Basically died a slow death, but I had a few hands.
Next game, it's a random event, a roll of the dice, a chance to take. If you play for the action, and don't take the losses too hard, poker is a game worth playing.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My biggest flaw is this: During a tournament I oscillate a lot between 3 and 8. The problem is that I'm almost always being 3 when it should be 8 and I'm being 8 when it should be 3. I got to stack $40 in ACR and $40 in BOL and after a bad week I have =/-$10 each. Horrible.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I'm around an 8. Maybe it's because I'm so new to this but every game and every hand are important to me. The goal is to win consistently and to improve my skills so I can move up to higher buy-in levels. I don't see how I can hope to achieve that without a "winning poker attitude/philosophy" or as you put it to have a high "Give a Sh-t or Care factor".

I notice that a few posts above refer to affluence/wealth or the relative value of the buy-in. For me that's not really important. I'm playing low stakes, or buy-ins that are well within my ability to pay. When I lose, I try to learn from my mistakes and move on.

Last edited:
Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't count myself among those who believe that a positive attitude & clean underwear are all one needs to conquer the world & realize all ones dreams. I do believe that approaching poker with a consistently negative attitude is almost always going to work out badly.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Philosophy of poker - nothing is impossible, as long as you have chips you are still in the ranks, but it all depends on the opponent.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think I'm between 5-8, but I usually adapt to the opponents' game and based on that I make certain decisions:)

fruittree

fruittree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Attitude will fade with bad cards...but you must play the same! The game has not changed!

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My poker philosophy is poker is a game of life and life is poker.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a great game to realize luck makes or breaks life,the butterfly effect/chaos theory.I personally never understood how Hellmuth made it as far as he did with his extreme tilting. My philosophy on poker at the end of the day it is mostly luck,it is outside of ones control without going insane to try to win MTT with skill alone.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have long realized that patience is one of the most important factors. I always try to be patient and avoid hasty or ill-considered decisions. I treat poker as fun, and at the same time I have pretty good results.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a great game to realize luck makes or breaks life,the butterfly effect/chaos theory.I personally never understood how Hellmuth made it as far as he did with his extreme tilting. My philosophy on poker at the end of the day it is mostly luck,it is outside of ones control without going insane to try to win MTT with skill alone.
Very well put!