Poker and attention

Helloween

Helloween

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How often do you play poker while on the road or performing other actions in parallel that require your attention? Does it affect the results and how much?

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I,m pretty sure, if you want to win something, you need to focus all yourself on the game. Sure, if i play any cheap freeroll i can also in that time watch some video on Youtube, but you need to focus yourself on the game, if you want to win anything in any good tournament.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never play when I'm distracted by other things. I don't see the point of playing if I'm distracted by other things.

LanaRhoades

LanaRhoades

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I have to play on my mobile while I´m working.This is not permitted but I insist in break the rule.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You definitely need to be focused on every decision to be on the +EV side every time

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch videos and streams while i play if that counts, i play fold simulator if i'm into what i'm watching at the time. If i am focused on the game i still don't pay enough attention but i will play more hands.. Is it good or bad? i have no idea lol

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
During the game, I try to be as focused as possible on my actions and decisions. If I start to be distracted by anything else, then it always has bad consequences for me.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never try to play poker (or do anything distracting) during serious job like driving or being at my workplace. In some cases i play on my mobile while i get back home from work with the subway or while i drink beer with friends but in such cases i play only freerolls. For serious game nothing can compare to my laptop at home so that i can concentrate and play my best game.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Some people are good at multitasking and can have great poker results while doing different other things while grinding- some of my friends can't even play a session without watching something on Twitch/ YouTube... Well, I can play around 4 tables(I play mostly MTTs) while watching some other things too but if I have more tables open I usually prefer to just concentrate on playing without any distraction.
GL all at the tables :)

kolyasik77777

kolyasik77777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes. And oddly enough, I have already won a couple of tournaments. Threw off bad cards, and then did business.

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before I start playing poker, I do all the necessary things. I walk and feed the dogs, go to the toilet, eat, and so on. I also dont turn on the TV and dont answer the phone calls. But ... I can not cope with the music. Without it, playing is boring, but it also distracts.

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me multitasking is fine as long as I don't do something that interests me more than playing poker. I'm fine with watching tv or listening to music while playing poker.

On the other hand I don't like playing on too many poker tables at the same time because it decreases my efficiency.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing MTT take more mind energy for me to stay with it. Normally looking to play those when I'm well rested and can play with no distractions. I'll play the micro short table SnG when those criteria are not met.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In most cases, I watch TV. I rarely listen to music.
But obviously, it is best to focus on poker. Sometimes the slightest inattention may be very costly to us.

J

jekan85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is very hard to do two things at the same time, it’s better to concentrate on one thing

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without attention, there is no point in playing. You will not see the ability of rivals. And this is an important factor in the game.

Mister Pillow

Mister Pillow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
attention is key in poker!

like the headin says: there is a lot of information coming to you on a poker table, the postion, stacks, who is doing what and when; the poker information is quite complex, and, in my view, you can not do anything else at all - even don't interact with your family, pets, gf's whatever; you must become one with the game and like switch into sixth sense, similar to being in a meditation state or trans; for reals, this is how i have trained my self to often become <5% of the player pool and give a shot at top places! :)

you gotta let it go and isolate yourself completely from any outside world distraction; :cool:

Most beginners at poker do not know they should pay attention. They understand only that poker is a game is some kind of fun, whatever that attitude to information and that way they should gather as much of it as possible, if not observed, will punish player by not allowing to recognize crucial spots in game and lead to ruin!. To recognize this is an accomplishment; to cultivate the discipline actually to do it is even better. :D

Yoda82

Yoda82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never play while driving. My life is worth more than the few cents I will make during that time. If I am sitting at home, it just depends. If I am playing 1 or 2 tourneys, I will listen to music or watch learning videos. If I have 6-8 tables up, chill music in the background to keep from getting amped up, and 100% focused on the cards. Have to be in the best mindset to play well there.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How often do you play poker while on the road or performing other actions in parallel that require your attention? Does it affect the results and how much?

I have some days when i play poker while i eat, place sport bets, watch TV or some other actions that distract me. If i'm doing multitasking when i start my session and i'm not tired i don't feel like a don't play my A game or losing money. After some hours of grind i can't handle multitasking. This time i feel i'm not focused 100% on tables and i quit other actions

prozitu

prozitu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes I have to leave a tournament to do some chores. This is bad enough, as time goes by and you are away, the blinds are eating their amount

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not nearly good enough to multi table or task, i usually just watch twitch or youtube

A

aka719

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
im sure if you where playing on the final table in a major tournament your concentration and focus would be on the game !! the same applies to any game of poker whether live, online, freeroll or high stakes, the more distraction the less you learn about your opponents .:hmmmm2: