Is poker art or statistics?

T

thefly1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you. So, many people play at several tables at the same time, regardless of how their opponents play.;););)

I agree.... online most players play at multiple tables and will not observe opponents (or use software to do that)
I only observe players and make notes of them
when I notice they are regulars at eg SNG or cash tabels. Especially when you play different games than NLHE the playfield is much smaller.
or when I am close to a final table at a MTT (with higher buyins)

In other cases my play is determined by statistics

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me, neither art nor statistics, but a game in which luck is a priority and skill is necessary.

B

billiamwedge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's both. It's being able to decipher what betting sizes means, it's knowing your outs, knowing the pot odds you're getting, and then when the cards do hit, it's also a lot of luck.

S

spargel2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it's art if you perfectly use the knowledge out of statistics.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both of them, but besides that, you also need a little luck and patience.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is more statistics, because it is a game with numbers and maths, but it has some elements of art, like thought and inspiration.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there is a plenty of room for both in the game. Actually it is almost a requirement to incorporate both into your game for the best results.

Thought of another way, I can almost envision a poker game as one of those Paint-By-The-Numbers kits. If you are patient, attentive and follow the numbers, your result will probably be pretty solid (not a Picasso, but not bad). If you stray from following the recommended numbers your result with have a higher degree of variance. Whether the outcome is better or worse depends on how good an artist you were.

For example, if I had to compare my performance in tonight's freeroll to a painting, I would say it resembled a finger painting done by a kindergartner. And not one that was done by a talented kindergartner, either, more like the one done by the kid in the back row who can usually be seen eating his paste!

Best of Luck At the Tables All,

CheezeWiz
Well said, especially about the analogy with a child as an artist, we are all such children))). Totally agree with you.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Many poker rooms have already banned statistics collection, I think that's right, and that all poker rooms will eventually come to this, and that's when poker will really become an art.