Poker & Alcohol

Alex Kim27

Alex Kim27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! Do you drink alcohol while playing poker? how do you feel about playing under the influence of alcohol? what do you know about interesting stories related to alcohol and poker?

M

mr_poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alcohol helps me to relax and not go to tilt, but I'm losing concentration.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So strange, I regularly see such topics on the forum ... In my opinion it is obvious that for a good game the player must be in good sober form ...

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely not!! Alcho and poker is a no no! If you want to mix those 2 together, you can donate to players directly, dont bother playing at the tables :)

caterina12

caterina12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost never play when I drink ... or nervous

T

Thenightrain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe a couple of beers but definitely not when drunk.

T

Thenightrain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check out the Doug Polk video for what can happen if you get too drunk at the poker table [emoji23]

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If you just want to have fun, then you can drink alcohol. But for a serious game, alcohol is harmful.

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
driving after ingesting alcoholic drinks is not certain
playing poker, after drinking alcohol is not working
so I do not drink alcohol when I'm playing poker
I prefer a good coffee, it keeps me calm

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not drink alcohol while playing poker, only coffee or tea to focus on the game, and when I'm drinking alcoholic drinks with friends, I miss the game, if I drink alcohol and play poker, then I can lose a lot, I have many friends who are so and lost to poker under alcohol

C

celo945

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not drink, and I think it's a bad combination

AlexGrinStar

AlexGrinStar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one bottle of beer helps in confidence:beer:
but if more, it already entails a bad game...

J

jaso_orni

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alcohol

I have played with nalcohol in my vains, but sooner or later i end up doing something stupid

P

PanceParty

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will have a few beers which calms my nerves and gives me the courage to be just enough risky that it doesn't harm my game any more than that and it would turn my just enough risky to ****y and do more harm than good.

J

Jmckay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seem to do pretty well whether I'm drinking or not but I do like to drink and play cards for sure

stefan94

stefan94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am more relaxed if I drink something before poker sesion :D

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't drink much but when I do poker is not a big part of the evening.

O

orbisaltum

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If i'm out drinking at a bar and I see a girl who is really a 3...I might think shes an 8 or 9. Same rule apply when playing poker...sometimes being drunk can make a 7-2 look like a A-K suited...

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello! Do you drink alcohol while playing poker? how do you feel about playing under the influence of alcohol? what do you know about interesting stories related to alcohol and poker?

what do you think about driving a car and alcohol? do you became more cofident? Whats the result of such driving? - answer on this question and you will find answers on your

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love having a beer while playing poker, but without abusing.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No,when I realized that this is very disturbing...

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you know that poker needs from the player to keep 100% of his concentration , because sometimes you miss just a little thing and ruined all you game and you know what alcohol can do :rofl:

M

microse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053810012000037

Just one example of such an article and I am too lazy to find more now, but I have heard of a good bit of research of drinking and focus/problem solving ability.

I drink slowly while I play. It has been shown that creative problem solving tends to be improved and carried out more quickly with low levels of blood alcohol. I won't get in to the theory, but I am sure you can find references if you look. The above is a peer reviewed article expressing these views, not something from healthnewsdaily.com or some bogus website.

Throughout undergraduate and graduate school, I sipped scotch while I studied (organic chemistry--very creative and intensive field of study). I found it to be helpful. With all that said, it has also been shown that alcohol negatively affects motor skills. Hand eye coordination, reaction speed, etc. are all diminished. Luckily, poker does not rely on quickly throwing in your chips and would be a more intellectual problem solving endeavor that may benefit from low level of blood alcohol.

For those that say NEVER DRINK OMG...as poker players, we rely heavily on the science of math. Rather than pretend to know exactly how alcohol may affect ones body and brain at the table, you could again rely on the science of those who have done the studies by doing a few quick online searches. I find science is a bit more sound that one's own opinion who is not involved in the field. (That isn't meant to sound rude, so I apologize if there appears to be a negative tone).

N

Napkins420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the person

I myself won't drink while playing, it makes me way to aggressive

But look at men the master and Scotty nguyn, the play great when drunk