Is poker addicting?

M

Masacr33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
Do you (or anyone from your family or friends) consider yourself a poker addict?
Have you ever had any problems playing poker (any kind) that made you think about it?

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I would not consider myself an addict but I like to play as much as possible. I enjoy playing poker so much, that I would play this without money being involved. And when I have time, I like to play, with or without money.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, poker is an addictive and dangerous game for people who don't have emotional control, there are even cases of suicide.

K

KING1805

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Nobody in my family had an addiction with poker or anything else. But I feel like people can get addicted to other things ( like "healthy" things but they just take it too far) not just gambling.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe yes. If you want to play poker every day again and again, this is an addiction)))

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well I breathe everyday, eat, sleep, bathe, and all sorts of other repetitive activities that are, ahem, non-addictive. Are dominoes addictive? Billiards? Perhaps bowling is addictive... I think people confuse addiction with hobby. I don't see folx "jonesin'" to go garden. I do see them spend an awful lot of $ at the Home Depot gardening department. I'm not talking about Colorado or Cali or any other pro-pot state in the Union but you get my drift.
I think people want it to be an addiction to justify getting their $ back. I mean if you're a winning poker player and are doing well then the term addiction doesn't really apply, here... agree? Is Negreanu an addict? Dwan? Ivey? Okay, the JRB might be one but other than him...
OMG! :eek: I just realized, I'm addicted to Cards Chat.
Please, go and enjoy your non-addictive hobbies and have an awesome day. And remember, it's okay to be you. May the flop be with you.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello!🤗
Scientific researches have proven that all people on the planet are more or less dependent. Only the degree of severity of this dependence differs.

In this regard, I can say with confidence that all of us here can be considered dependent. 😅
But, of course, there is nothing wrong with this, if our addiction does not interfere with our daily life and does not create discomfort for the people around us.😊 Because such dependence is reduced to a norm that does not require grounds to abandon it and does not require outside intervention.🥰

If we consider the suicidal outcome, then I can't blame poker as such. This, to a greater extent, depends on the person.
If he had such a strong dependence on poker, then he could have the same strong dependence on anything else, since he is more susceptible to it.

A person is dependent on what he likes. But how dependent he is and whether it is worth paying attention to it is another question.🌺🌺🌺

Last edited:
Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If you play in moderation, then no. If you hang in the game for days, then you can get out either by losing everything or by ending your career

B

BrunoFabri01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
like any other type of game it can get addicted, when I started playing poker I got addicted, I spent all night playing. Over time I started to play more responsibly.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
any gambling leads to addiction and excitement, you need to be able to stop and play for 5 hours a day no more

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I haven't had it, but this can happen with anything you do. Addiction can appear even with the smallest thing

K

koirajore

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think i had an addiction, but then i managed to take brake few years and now i can play poker randomly ( 1-2 days per week and not every week)

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
not for me Ș) , so watch out rest of you Ș)

Dalyn

Dalyn

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes it is as every type of gamble

F

Foxie12340

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is very addicting. For some it’s too hard to get away from. If you are missing out on many other opportunities to spend time with family and friends than you are probably an addict. But for some it’s an income so it’s hard to decide which is which

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The only problems I had were problems with the Internet connection. Such problems always annoy me a lot and this is the only thing that can really make me angry.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find poker addictive, but it is possible to control the situation and moderate participation in games. This goes for everything in life that can lead a person to addictions. Emotional control is part of success in poker and life in general. This is very difficult, but players need to know when to stop and when to continue playing poker.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of skill but also of luck. Generally gambling activities often can cause the players to become addicted unconsciously if the players play for a long time. So it's very important that we should control ourselves.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you put the game over more important things in your life then it can be considered and addiction. I think most of us have had some periods of addiction.

888NOX888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't consider myself a gambler, there were no problems related to gambling.

Mimo..Mach

Mimo..Mach

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Indeed, for some people, Poker becomes an addiction to the point of needing professional medical help, because they misuse their daily money to bet on this game and end up losing it. But I have always "defended Poker" saying that this situation is like 'bulimia' or 'anorexia' in the sense that we are the people who get mentally ill and we cannot blame it on, for example, the diet in general something bad or harmful. It's all about maintaining good mental health. If someone is addicted to poker and it causes them financial problems or spending too much time playing on the side of other responsibilities, they should deal with it by accepting that they have a problem and seek immediate help.

L

legend309

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I know winning is very addictive. If your a profitable player how could you not be addicted to the money

Mihail Grinvich

Mihail Grinvich

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Any gambling is addictive in a certain category of people. Poker is a gambling game, so a significant number of people are dependent on it. I think everyone who has played poker is addicted to it. The only question is whether everyone managed to get out of addiction, and with what consequences (loss of money, career, friends, etc.).

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hello!🤗
Scientific researches have proven that all people on the planet are more or less dependent. Only the degree of severity of this dependence differs.

In this regard, I can say with confidence that all of us here can be considered dependent. 😅
But, of course, there is nothing wrong with this, if our addiction does not interfere with our daily life and does not create discomfort for the people around us.😊 Because such dependence is reduced to a norm that does not require grounds to abandon it and does not require outside intervention.🥰

If we consider the suicidal outcome, then I can't blame poker as such. This, to a greater extent, depends on the person.
If he had such a strong dependence on poker, then he could have the same strong dependence on anything else, since he is more susceptible to it.

A person is dependent on what he likes. But how dependent he is and whether it is worth paying attention to it is another question.🌺🌺🌺
I agree with you, everyone is dependent to one degree or another on something, the main thing is to learn to control your dependences.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course. Wants to play every day. Like a drug addict. )))