poker is a place to make friends and they are just opponents.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that I can make friends in poker, but at the time of the game I see them only as opponents.

When playing poker, I'm only interested in my decisions. Friends, opponents, relatives, classmates, neighbors and everything else does not matter to me.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, poker is a game for the sake of winning. Therefore, if you want to find friends, then you better do it using social networks.

B

booosteeer23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I found friends in poker on the forum and not at the poker tables)

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Making friends vs playing poker.

Poker, in theory, can be used to make friends. In fact, poker spats are a quick way to lose friends. If I want to meet people, I can go to a bar, club, or the lake. Poker is strictly competition. Can be friendly after you leave the table. Keep all opponents at a distance, and try to extract some cash.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that the main thing is to clearly define the goal and set the right priorities. Personally, I am not looking for friends, I am just trying to win money.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I make friendships outside the poker tables

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is an inherently selfish game where you’re trying to maximize the number of chips/money you win.

The only time I play with friends is at home games and even then, things can get tense.

yezzrr

yezzrr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've made a lot of friends playing cards, as well as superficial/opportunistic allies

gaarsiass

gaarsiass

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
zdrowa rywalizacja jest zawsze dobrym aspektem poznawania nowych ludzi i pracy nad sobą. W końcu masz podobne zainteresowania. Można to porównać do innych zainteresowań, np. Szachów. Szachiści rywalizują w turniejach i spędzają razem czas poza turniejami.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi friend.

I think we make friends in this community, in the game I don't see much time to chat.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's just a game in the end,,,, people matter more. :)

weralomos

weralomos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think we make friends in this community, in the game I don't see much time to chat.
If you mean just the forum, then yes, and in the game itself only offline with friends

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that I can make friends in poker, but at the time of the game I see them only as opponents.

I love making friends at the poker table. Some of the coolest people I've met in life were met thru poker.

You're right that when the game is on it's important to see them as opponents and not softplay them (can cost you big winnings if you do).

But much like sports where players are grateful that you give your best and force them to bring out the best in themselves, poker players are grateful when you do the same.

Great question jfofla! :D

S

semi1406

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe Im wrong but if you are a professional poker player I think you can make friends with another professional because poker is your job, you have a different understanding from someone that does it for hobby or after work.

But if poker is not your job and you are playing real money with "friends" you better keep it micro stakes otherwise someday something is going to come up...
ME : Hey buddy you remember that time we were talking about that new released phone that we liked so much but could not afford it ... Guess what. I bought one with the money I won from you at poker. When are you getting one ? :)
BUDDY: :mad:

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I agree with you. For me, there are also only opponents at the table. Poker is essentially a competition and the main thing is a victory.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
When I was young I made friend with the best poker players! I used the friendship to learn everything they knew about the game! At the table your just another warrior in the war I want to take out!

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I do not try to make friends when I play poker, because I think that it is important to win at the table, and not to chat, but I do not mind making friends on the poker forum, as it is good to have many acquaintances with similar interests, you can always be a friend to a friend to advise something! I'm not angry, but at the poker table I do no mercy for anyone! I do good and positive thoughts to everyone! Good luck at the tables!

Pripri1986

Pripri1986

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have made a few friends in the NHE Womens tourneys, but they are always opponents when playing!

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is just a game. It is not necessary to regard friends in it as opponents. Enjoy the moment and do not attach much importance to losses. And it's better to play less poker with friends lol

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What is a friend?

It is simply a person with whom you share some sort of bond or affection, but generally not of a sexual nature and not family.

As a result, my friends typically tend to be poker players. But I will also go out and play golf with some of them...or boardgames with others...but generally I play poker with all of them.

I do not get the "don't play poker with friends" point of view. That is exactly the sort of folks I want to play with. We can talk poker, on and off-table. We can do hand reviews and share intel... But there is never any long lasting bad feelings between us over poker. We are ALL playing to WIN...and each has a different approach. But as long as you aren't playing like a douchebag, a friendship should never be harmed by competition.

The problems come out when you start trash talking...or time-wasting...or looking at mucked cards...or slow rolling...or a myriad of other dick-moves. So don't do it. Treat people with respect and you can take their money all day.

If you like making friends playing poker, I suggest you join the Cards Chat League. There you'll come across the same 30 or so folks each week. You'll become familiar with each of their (ever-changing) styles...and the chat is easy and friendly.

I cannot wait for next season's league to start up and get to know a new bunch of players.

So, I cannot help but wonder that, if you cannot maintain a friendship and compete at the same time, one of you is probably a douchebag (e.g. a sore loser or a terrible winner). fix that bit...and there are millions of potential friends out there...

Cheers,
JT

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with ObbleeXY that the CC League is a great place to meet new people and make new friends within the poker world. Plenty of fun and camaraderie with your team mates and a bit of banter with your opponents.

In regards to making friends in Poker, why wouldnt you? afterall friendships are formed between people who share a common interest in this case Poker, the fact you are opponents from time to time just adds to the fun... afterall who doesnt like to rip into their mates with a bit of banter from time to time? .... or maybe that is just a British thing I dunno lol.

hunterws

hunterws

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can make friends and talk nice at the table, even though my actions may seem unfriendly, it's just business.
Too many today have problems separating analytic thought vs emotional thought.
Think of two lawyers battling it out in court, yet they go have lunch together at break time.
Have to know the difference :)

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have found friends in poker, we can play at the same table with absolute peace of mind.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey!
Why not, although poker with friends, in my opinion, is not worth playing, it is not very convenient to beat friends.