Poker as a Father and Husband !

K

krzysiek1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all my name is Christopher !

Want to to ask smth. Maybe anybody got same problem like me ?
As i write in topic im a father of 2 childrens and a husband. Want You to ask is it still possible to play poker with all this problems and cases that u got as being father and a husband. Tournament poker needs long time to play as we all knows. I really love my childrens (Juliusz 5yrs , Julia 4yrs) but i feel my time in poker is ending i can not find any solution to take care about everything as a father and poker player many times when i was trying to play a session childrens get my attention and its over everytime same way (im loosing). Also was trying to play by nights but then at morning u feel like a piece of..... when they woke you up :). Pls anybody got some advice ? We do not have any familly here where we live with my wife its only me and her to take care about kids mostly when 1 of us is with children another person needs to rest to be ready for children. ( maybe someone got same problem my English is not perfect but im sure if i find any Father here he will know what am i saying :) i still want to play ! its my big passion but cant find any good idea to be a winningplayers as before and a good Father and husband. pls ! some TIPS ! ( if you want to find my stats and be sure im not a liar try to find (vA.Risk at sharkscope was playing pokerstars) high Five for all ^_^ Cant w8 to see replies here !

Last edited by a moderator:
Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have no children of my own and no such problems. :)
Nevertheless, I understand your situation, and in my opinion, the highest priority for each of us should be our own children.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hello and welcome to Cardschat Forum

You must take care of your children and your wife first, but it is okay if you allocate one day a week to play poker, I do not think that it will be a problem in your case. Good luck. I wish you stability in your life and for everyone.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's really not much of a choice,family has to always come 1st, your kids are only young once and you have a lifetime to play poker,trying to find that balance with a young family will be hard, they havn't even started school or their own sports yet so your time will even get less,if it was me ,poker would be on the back burner still playing when given the rare chance, I would spend my time playing for just the fun so I would want to make sure I was posting lots so I could play in as many freerolls as I could when I could,other then that just enjoy your kids while they still want you to, poker will always be there your kids won't they will grow up and start the cycle again, good luck and enjoy your young family poker is a game your family isn't

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Christopher as a husband I would show the wife an odd win even if you are on a downswing lol and give her the cash and say get something nice for yourself and the children.
When hand her a thousand or so especially before birthdays or Xmas for example she seems sweet for awhile with me playing.
As a Father I got 3 hours sleep after Saturdays games was woken by my 2 sons jumping on me pretending they were famous wrestlers lol.
I got up had a strong black coffee played with toys and other games for awhile made them breakfast.
Had 2 hours nap when they went out with their mother to their Grans house before Sundays games.
Our responsibility to our children should always come first it is ok for me to take days off poker not ok for me to take the day off being a Dad to be honest.
As they get a bit older it gets easier as while your playing your games they will be probably playing minecraft for example or some other game they get obsessed with while they are in the room with you.:)

K

krzysiek1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You guys just confirmed my thoughts about situation. Familly >>> poker mby in few years it will be more simple to get some time to do what u love now its time for kids and wife. Hard for me so much cuz i love this game also :) but thats how it is :) GL for all of You and see you at the tables in few years but at forum in few hours ^_^ !

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Here on the forum there is a lot of talk about bankroll management but little is said about time management. I understand well what you go through because I live in the same situation. As I write, I have two beautiful children. One is 4 years old and the other is 3 years old. A beautiful wife, and two elderly women who depend a lot on me. My family and my priority. And I already abandoned the freeroll here at CC, being in the first position just to walk with them.
My advice to you:
Have fun with your family. As they said here, Poker will always be there waiting for you. Now your kids will grow up and your wife is the greatest treat you can have in life.
Play the CC freerolls. If you have to retire in the middle of the game, you won't lose anything.
Take time to play something more serious. Negotiate this with your wife.
Try Spin&Go games.
Play on mobile. I've already played making a bottle, bathing and washing the bowl. It's just going to take a little more discipline. It can even improve your game.

K

krzysiek1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was thinking about cash games but there is so many regs actually. on cash games u can sit for 1, 2 h and make small profit by dooing this every day for 1h u can also make a good cashout per month i gues.

K

krzysiek1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its also about 2nd sallary in home. I wasnt playing olnly for fun :/ i need to find any way but tournaments there is no chance to spend that much time as before when i was a single :p

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In any case, the family always takes priority over all sorts of hobbies. The rest of the opinions I think are an illusion and self-deception.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

As i write in topic im a father of 2 childrens and a husband. Want You to ask is it still possible to play poker with all this problems and cases that u got as being father and a husband. Tournament poker needs long time to play as we all knows. I really love my childrens (Juliusz 5yrs , Julia 4yrs) but i feel my time in poker is ending i can not find any solution to take care about everything as a father and poker player many times when i was trying to play a session childrens get my attention and its over everytime same way (im loosing). Also was trying to play by nights but then at morning u feel like a piece of..... when they woke you up :). Pls anybody got some advice ? We do not have any familly here where we live with my wife its only me and her to take care about kids mostly when 1 of us is with children another person needs to rest to be ready for children. ( maybe someone got same problem my English is not perfect but im sure if i find any Father here he will know what am i saying :) i still want to play ! its my big passion but cant find any good idea to be a winningplayers as before and a good Father and husband. pls ! some TIPS ! ( if you want to find my stats and be sure im not a liar try to find (vA.Risk at sharkscope was playing Pokerstars) high Five for all ^_^ Cant w8 to see replies here !
Hello, I have no children yet, but I think that children and family should be a priority! You can devote a couple of days a week to poker, and spend the rest of the days with your family, it seems to me that this is the best option, the wife should also understand that you have your own passions and hobbies! Just try to talk to your wife, I think she will understand you and you will have at least one day a week for poker! Love and value your loved ones, I wish you good luck!

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Poker is just a game, although it's probably the best, but kids will always be more important, at least to me. I think our community is a good place for you. You will be able to play in our freerolls without risking your own money and if necessary you will always be able to leave the tournament.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
just play short session 45 man or less 2-3 hrs per day when wife/kids are sleeping

cash games is also an option

K

krzysiek1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to many regs in cash mby sit n go are option ;)

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
brother , assume that you have 2 beautiful children, now be happy with them, you can come back to poker at any time and wife, I really leave poker , be happy with the people in your life :), I assume when the children will grow up , you will have a little time to dedicate to poker:)

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I looked at your chart on the sharkscope. You've been playing since 2009. You have a good ITM and a SWARM. Of course, it's a pity that you don't have time, but you chose to start a family yourself. Any advice will cheer you up only for a while and then you will get into a routine again and will sacrifice your interests for the sake of the family. I would not have children and would not advise anyone to do this.
Each person has 24 hours a day and it's up to you to decide how you can distribute them.
You can start playing MTNG and devote 4 hours a day to it.
This discipline is closest to MTT.
You can also hire a babysitter as an option, but here you can lose money on her and on poker.

bhuelse

bhuelse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi krzysiek1234,
I have a similar situation. I have 3 children, one 7 years and twins who are 2 years old.
Since the twins have been here I have hardly had any time for poker. Tournaments take some planning and my wife has to have the time for the little ones.
I switched then to SnGs, because the time management is much easier. And if my wife gives me time, I still play tournaments.
But otherwise it is called: Family first and poker waits until there is more time. ;)

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i do not let poker dictate my life. if you do, you better be making tons of money because its not worth losing your family over poker.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better to promote the well-being of the family when seeking to find time to play poker and harm family life.

K

krzysiek1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok i think topic is done ; ) EOT mods :p thx alot all ! Familly 1st ;) as i was thinking there no solutution if you want be the best u need to do this full time so now i quit but i will comeback stronger : ) i will try to use this time for familly and education about poker ;) ! GL all

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

As i write in topic im a father of 2 childrens and a husband. Want You to ask is it still possible to play poker with all this problems and cases that u got as being father and a husband. Tournament poker needs long time to play as we all knows. I really love my childrens (Juliusz 5yrs , Julia 4yrs) but i feel my time in poker is ending i can not find any solution to take care about everything as a father and poker player many times when i was trying to play a session childrens get my attention and its over everytime same way (im loosing). Also was trying to play by nights but then at morning u feel like a piece of..... when they woke you up :). Pls anybody got some advice ? We do not have any familly here where we live with my wife its only me and her to take care about kids mostly when 1 of us is with children another person needs to rest to be ready for children. ( maybe someone got same problem my English is not perfect but im sure if i find any Father here he will know what am i saying :) i still want to play ! its my big passion but cant find any good idea to be a winningplayers as before and a good Father and husband. pls ! some TIPS ! ( if you want to find my stats and be sure im not a liar try to find (vA.Risk at sharkscope was playing Pokerstars) high Five for all ^_^ Cant w8 to see replies here !

I have a wife and 4 children (ages 9 through 18 months).

I play poker almost every day.

I play about 3 - 5 MTTs every day I play.

I late register at the last possible minute of registration in all of my MTTs.

Some days I only play for 15 - 30 minutes (bust early), and other days I play for about 2 - 3 hrs (because I made a final table).

I have found major success with this approach.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi Friend.

I don't have much experience as a father, although my daughter is 6 years old, but I think for now you will have to stop playing poker or if you have enough money, try money games, and when they grow up I think that she will not need much attention like that. they require at the age they are and perhaps there you can resume the tournaments.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would advise you to play one Sit & Go canteen if there is a shortage of time for the game.