tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker, a challenge for machines?

An artificial intelligence beat four poker champions. a blow to the human species. On Monday, January 30, 2017, a computer program named Libratus won against four professional poker players in a tournament that lasted nearly 20 days.

What is your opinion on this subject? Do you think that in the long run this is a danger for the poker community?

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not see any danger in that. I play poker and enjoy the game. Honestly, I do not care who to play with. I am happy when I make the right decisions and avoid mistakes.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The danger isn't in a single bot playing poker. The danger lies in networks of bots colluding to help each other maximize their winnings. I know it can be done and has already been done, because poker sites have previously found and busted such bot rings. If one entity is able to observe and control more than one seat at any given table, that creates an edge for that entity. The more seats that are controlled, the greater the edge. I cannot see online poker ending in any other way than an all out AI war.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was at the official level. This is not dangerous.
the main thing is that not honest players and bots do not use this intelligence against others.
Poker is a tricky game, but at the same time there must be order in it

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to dig a little bit into the subject about this that you publish and it is obvious that it is dangerous for the poker community more with all these cases on various platforms in terms of bots good luck greetings:confused:

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that machine can beat human is not a problem for me. After all computers have far greater calculation capabilities than us and if programming is good then such result is pretty expected. What concerns me as already mentioned above is the possibility of mass participation of bots in the poker rooms who work together against normal players. Some poker rooms already acknowledged that they detected bots so i can only hope that security will be tightened and measures against bots will constantly be improved.

A

alannalmeida

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i DONT BELIEVE THAT

If we think about increasingly we see more and more AI between poker players. A lot of programs to analize our data and from our opponents, i think it is just a way to practice, isn't that dangerou at all.

I hope my opinion help out you ;)

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it's probably a danger to many kinds of work involving intelligent work. However, I'd like to think the Poker industry will block the use of devices that can deliver AI into the play. But now that I think of it, online poker, not live poker, may be at risk as it could be very hard to discover if AI is being used. Good question.

K

Kid Rob

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not Concerned

I'm not too concerned about the use of present AI's. The next Gen of AI is going to be a contender for sure. Just remember, when they create Artificial Intelligence, they're also creating Artificial Stupidity. But in some cases, it isn't artificial. :pcguru:

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is extremely dangerous. I think that IA can process a series of mathematical calculations and make extremely fast decisions. How the poker can be played online, is "dishonest" because do you not know who is your opponent and not have choise for accept it.

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the point of view where you see it, it could represent a threat if this kind of programs start to be used to play viciously in the online poker tables, it would be a big disadvantage, because I think they do the ideal calculation of all the odds of winning or losing in one hand, which would bring a great advantage.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if it come to that, i go play only in live tables.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is heads up bot and works on hardware thousands of dollars

G

Guaraparty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the long run it will be a problem ..... although I do not believe that the vast majority of people have the resources to acquire a program of such magnitude and efficiency. regards!!!!!

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that this will not be a global problem for the players. It is always possible to identify bots at the table.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's just a matter of time. A person cannot compete with a computer.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Of coarse not.Poker as many other games is made for humans,not for machienes.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that artificial intelligence is not dangerous for the poker community, because the profit of poker rooms from this will be minimal.

Ikeman74

Ikeman74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Machines are only human too,cause they are made by Humans.
I think this one just had a good streak… :D

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker, a challenge for machines?

An artificial intelligence beat four poker champions. a blow to the human species. On Monday, January 30, 2017, a computer program named Libratus won against four professional poker players in a tournament that lasted nearly 20 days.

What is your opinion on this subject? Do you think that in the long run this is a danger for the poker community?

Yes....if this is all accurate then someday one will not be able to play online poker.

I don't know what date that will be. But when "Libratus" is available to anyone then one will not be able to play profitably. The computer will prevail.

Anyone have an idea when this will happen?

Good luck !

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This will never happen. Libratus is heads up bot because this game has solution. For 3 or more players the solution to solve the game is beyound all computers in the world combined. Also Libratus works on powerful hardware it is not just a program you can run on your PC

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that if this problem jeopardizes the profits of poker sites, then over time, poker sites will still learn how to effectively deal with bots !!!

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think sites will build up those ability to deal with bots, along with that and general policing by the players I don’t think bots will ever be a huge problem

P

PSSucks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh great!!!

I don't trust online poker as it is. Now I have to worry about playing against colluding bots. :)

Actually, I pulled up the article about Libratus in a UK newspaper, and the main thing that stood, and has been mentioned here already, is that the "impressive" victory was in a heads-up format -- not a table of several players, so I guess the best bet for online play is to just to avoid head-to-head games.

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a computer program named Libratus won against four professional poker players in a tournament that lasted nearly 20 days.
I think they are just tired.
Actually, I pulled up the article about Libratus in a UK newspaper, and the main thing that stood, and has been mentioned here already, is that the "impressive" victory was in a heads-up format
I'm tired usually after 10-15 minutes of a heads-up. But for 20 days?

Last edited:
Mac Poker