Pocket jacks?

T

Tiltmode1987

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you run with JJ? When i first started playing poker i ran extremely good. Lately though i cannot win with jacks to save my life. Its almost to the point that i want to fold jacks to any significant bet. What are your thoughts about JJ and how do you play them in general?

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the way it should in theory, and I don’t worry when I lose. I've met opponents who fielded UTG1 with 88 3bets and won with odds below zero)). Therefore, I think that against the background of such players with jacks, you have great chances. But all this is natural with micro-stakes and low rates. I don't play at medium and high, maybe at these limits they don't play with jacks like that.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, pocket jacks are a good strong hand. I play with such a hand in different ways, but always aggressively. It all depends on the format of the tournament, my position and who my opponents are.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
For me jj is a good pair, AK is better, but in general poker is unpredictable ...

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you run with JJ? When i first started playing poker i ran extremely good. Lately though i cannot win with jacks to save my life. Its almost to the point that i want to fold jacks to any significant bet. What are your thoughts about JJ and how do you play them in general?
I play JJ like any other good hand - open raise 2-3BB, 3bet or call depends of situation and so on.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It is a pretty good starting hand, so I play it aggressively preflop. At the same time I am aware of possible danger if I face a reraise or a dangerous flop.

BlackIce

BlackIce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you run with JJ? When i first started playing poker i ran extremely well. Lately though i cannot win with jacks to save my life. It's almost to the point that i want to fold jacks to any significant bet. What are your thoughts about JJ and how do you play them in general?

It's a Phase, I can't win with Kings to save my life if I shove, I lose and if I play them slow or big preflop bet. Doesn't matter i lose and it sucks so am getting to the point of folding them Lol.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on stack size. It's a really good hand and I almost never fold it preflop. I usually 3bet it preflop and can even 4bet jam depending on stack size. One thing not to lose a lot of chips with it is playing it aggresively. If you stop betting when an overcard comes than you will give your oppenent free cards and lose or be bluffed of your hand.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The micro-limit axiom is that the more you invent, the worse your win rate

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I play JJ like any other good hand - open raise 2-3BB, 3bet or call depends of situation and so on.

...agree...except I treat it like any other trash pocket pair...open raise 2-3BB, 3bet or call depends on position and prior action, stack size, where you are in the tourney... It really helps to know the tendencies of your opponents as well.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
JJ is a good starting hand but many players overestimate its capabilities !!! It is difficult to describe how I play with a pair of jacks since the situations are always different and depend not only on me but also on the opponent's play !!! I think that on a big bet from an unknown opponent, (in most cases) it is better to fold !!!

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to play pocket jacks, especially in a tournament game, a book could be written about it. Very strong but at the same time awkward hand cards to play. Many factors affect: in which phase of the tournament we play a hand, the style of play of other players and their sitting places, our position in relation to the dealer, how many players are already involved in the hand and their sizing, if the tournament is in the bubble period then the structure of the prizes is very important - prize ranges can be large, and they can be equal on the satellites for tickets, etc.
We need to adapt to the specific situation.

T

TonyTadzh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its good hand, i think you need to play aggressive with jj

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are good, I love being in the satellite bubble, I think that normally I do very well in those circumstances, playing them correctly at any time should not generate any problem:p:p:p:p:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jacks are always weird. If I raise them in early position and get three bet, I'm only moving in if I know something about my opponent or if the size of the pot dictates that I do such.

Early in a tournament I am more willing to just call the three bet and see if an ace or king comes on the flop before putting any additional chips in the pot.

Statsman1

Statsman1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Preflop - aggressive, 3-bet possibilities, I won't call a jam unless I know the shover has a really wide range.

Postflop - no matter what, pray like crazy, and if there are overcards, be very, very careful.

That strategy seems to work for me.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not only with JJ

It's not just with jacks that you already lose, you have to get used to that you'll lose with queen kings aces other pairs, I'm not even talking. we see jacks in hand and think you've already won more, it's not like that, especially if you're going to see a flop with more than 1 player then yes your chance will decrease a lot, pairs won't always win..

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Consider that JJ must be played with technique combined with luck. We often lose with JJ because we don't play aggressively. I win with JJ most of the time.

S

slothi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t like JJ too much, but I play them just because it‘s a strong pocket. It depends in which position how I play them, sometimes I fold them preflop against an open push

IXIX

IXIX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s a good squeeze spot with 5 limpers in the SB or BB

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont treat them like AA-QQ . not even like AKs

i will raise and call a reraise to see the flop . only when i dont have that much behind i will shove with it preflop

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Secret is: when you are deep, you must be ready to fold ( if you get to much action, if boards gets to wet etc.) When you are short, you just push and pray :)

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

I play jacks carefully. Seldom a good idea to raise with them except heads-up or on the final table.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Pocket Jiggeties are like no man's land.

I'll see a flop and if there is an over card and raise, I'll struggle to bother with the turn let alone the river. Somehow (yes, its all perception) it feels easier to play pocket tens or nines.